Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Officier Suisse" means "Official Swiss" or "Swiss Officer"?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
And is there any reason some models have it and some do not? Is there something more officer related in the history of my 84mm cadet with that tang stamp than my 93mm pioneer with out it?

Just something I have been wondering about SAKs for a while.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
I think it has something to do with the time of production and maybe with the models. Some were meant for officers, other were more widely accessible...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
I'm pretty sure it means Swiss Army... Kinda sure, actually.   :think:
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life

"Suisse" obviously means "Swiss". So how the heck does "Officier " translate to "Army"?  ??? ??? ???

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
It means Swiss officer in French. Read up on the origins here >> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Army_knife  :salute:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
AFAIK the Swiss Officer's Knife is a designation only for the 91mm and 84mm models.  :salute:

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club

"Suisse" obviously means "Swiss". So how the heck does "Officier " translate to "Army"?  ??? ??? ???

Made my day 🤣🤣🤣
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life

Made my day 🤣🤣🤣

So if you plug Officier Suisse into google translate it translates to Swiss Officer. No surprise there. But plug Offiziersmesser in and it actually translates into "Army Knives". The weird part is if you put a space in between the words and translate Offiziers messer it changes to "Officer's Knife".

So depending on the spacing, a word that sounds like "officer" can actually translate into "army". Granted this is in German, and "Officier Suisse" is French, but still. It does open op the possibility that "Officier Suisse" could translate into "Swiss Army".

Or something like that...  :ahhh

Edit: hehe I said but plug.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:24:05 AM by GoatDragon »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Officier Suisse means Swiss Officer and is on the 91mm and 85mm ones as they are based on the old Officer's knife (corkscrew and such)

Alox and 111mm are based on the Soldier's knife so they don't have it (they are bigger and beefier).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
The translations are correct, but “Offizier” in German does mean “Officer” in English, it's just magic of compounds. “Offiziersmesser” in German is the term for army Knives, as in (Swiss) army knives, while with a space it becomes a knife owned by an officer (albeit missing an apostrophe for correct German syntax, but Google Translate tries to be helpful). So it's no change in the meaning of the word “Offizier”, just the meaning of the compound as a whole. For an English example, consider “skinhead”, which you could translate to another language as for instance “right wing extremist”, but “skin” does not mean “right wing” and “head” certainly does not mean “extremist”.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Re: "Officier Suisse" means "Official Swiss" or "Swiss Officer"?
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 04:28:49 PM
Do remember that users can "help" Google Translate to translate "better" by adding their own translations, which could be
the reason for "Offiziersmesser" translating to "army knives" in this case.

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 07:37:42 PM
Officier Suisse means Swiss Officer and is on the 91mm and 85mm ones as they are based on the old Officer's knife (corkscrew and such)

Alox and 111mm are based on the Soldier's knife so they don't have it (they are bigger and beefier).

Ahh, that makes sense!
The soldiers got the beefy 93mm and 111mm models because they were out in the field doing real work, while the officers got the smaller 84mm and 91mm versions because they got to hang out in town and drink wine.
I feel like I understand Swiss Army Knives so much better now! :SAKnight:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:42:45 PM by GoatDragon »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 07:39:40 PM
The translations are correct, but “Offizier” in German does mean “Officer” in English, it's just magic of compounds. “Offiziersmesser” in German is the term for army Knives, as in (Swiss) army knives, while with a space it becomes a knife owned by an officer (albeit missing an apostrophe for correct German syntax, but Google Translate tries to be helpful). So it's no change in the meaning of the word “Offizier”, just the meaning of the compound as a whole. For an English example, consider “skinhead”, which you could translate to another language as for instance “right wing extremist”, but “skin” does not mean “right wing” and “head” certainly does not mean “extremist”.
A most excellent explanation of the idiosyncrasies of language. Thank you!  :salute:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 08:41:48 PM
 :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%