Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Workpro's possible surge competitor comparison

gb Offline daverobson

Re: Workpro's possible surge competitor comparison
Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 11:55:31 PM
It seems like a decent tool, kind of like a supersize wave.  Any indication of how the blade holds up?  Pity it's not on Amazon.ca though.

Would Amazon USA be any use to you?
https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-W014070A-Multi-tool-16-Tools-Combined/dp/B01AJEDCBA

Another version? (shipped from China). It's got SCISSORS :tu:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKPRO-15-in-1-Outdoor-Camping-Multi-Tool-Pliers-Foldaway-Portable-Pocket-Knife-/272062157305

£29.99 UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AJEDCBA
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:08:42 AM by daverobson »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #31 on: August 19, 2017, 02:10:33 AM
The ebay listing from China is the cheaper older WorkPro, and not even close in quality to the big one unfortunately. No outside tools in the picture.  :pok:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #32 on: August 19, 2017, 06:24:48 AM
It seems like a decent tool, kind of like a supersize wave.  Any indication of how the blade holds up?  Pity it's not on Amazon.ca though.

Would Amazon USA be any use to you?
https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-W014070A-Multi-tool-16-Tools-Combined/dp/B01AJEDCBA

Another version? (shipped from China). It's got SCISSORS :tu:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKPRO-15-in-1-Outdoor-Camping-Multi-Tool-Pliers-Foldaway-Portable-Pocket-Knife-/272062157305

£29.99 UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AJEDCBA

Unfortunately Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada on that particular item, I already looked...  :rant:
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 20, 2017, 04:38:19 PM
I bought one of this sometime ago. Was very excited to receive it. This thing feels like a brick. Not very ergonomic. Too blocky for my hand. Pliers are not worth the money at all. The pivot is off centre and doesn't open and close smoothly. I am not the only one facing this issue. Not too recommended... Some tools are big and u can trust it to perform as it should. This, it is simply bulky and cumbersome.

The other one that was mentioned earlier was actually better in the hands. But their back springs are so strong that it's a struggle to open the pliers everytime. And, the blade slaps onto the frame everytime u close it. Effectively flatten your blade edge everytime.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 27, 2019, 05:01:17 AM
FYI, this WorkPro is now $17 on Amazon, and it comes with scissors instead of a serrated blade. I just snagged one!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGNJ61P/

Charles.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #35 on: July 27, 2019, 05:47:29 AM
FYI, this WorkPro is now $17 on Amazon, and it comes with scissors instead of a serrated blade. I just snagged one!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGNJ61P/

Charles.

I have one. It is actually a slightly smaller tool than the original. If the older model was compared to the Surge, this one would be more like a LM Wave. The tools on this newer one also do not open as smoothly. Other than that, it feels like the same quality and more than worth the $17.00 asking price!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 27, 2019, 06:01:10 AM
Charles,

My only advice would be to not expect any refinement or essence of quality. That one is actually the newest WorkPro tool, the 4" WorkPro. It is not the HD version that was shown in this thread.
The HD version has vastly better fit & finish, but at twice the cost, I'd expect a better made tool. Not sure why the Amazon seller is calling it the HD version, but likely has something to do with trying to sell them better. The HD is an immensely heavy tool(relative to MTs) and is rather large(as you can see in the photos). The 4" WorkPro scissors(barely cut anything), pliers(sloppy and won't cut fine wire), and phillips driver(disformed) aren't any good on mine, but hopefully your example is better. :)
For less than $20, any tool is a useful tool(in whatever way it is useful). :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 27, 2019, 06:29:21 AM
Well, if it sucks I'll return it. Thought I had gotten a good deal. Problem is the original post's links are all junk now, so I thought I was getting the good one. Can you post an amazon link to the correct, high-quality version?

Charles.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 27, 2019, 06:34:16 AM
Charles,

My only advice would be to not expect any refinement or essence of quality. That one is actually the newest WorkPro tool, the 4" WorkPro. It is not the HD version that was shown in this thread.
The HD version has vastly better fit & finish, but at twice the cost, I'd expect a better made tool. Not sure why the Amazon seller is calling it the HD version, but likely has something to do with trying to sell them better. The HD is an immensely heavy tool(relative to MTs) and is rather large(as you can see in the photos). The 4" WorkPro scissors(barely cut anything), pliers(sloppy and won't cut fine wire), and phillips driver(disformed) aren't any good on mine, but hopefully your example is better. :)
For less than $20, any tool is a useful tool(in whatever way it is useful). :tu:

Actually i did some preening and sharpening of the cutter and now it cuts fine wire. Not the best of material that they use. The cutter was rather soft-ish and easy to file. Also means it will probably not stay sharp for long. Another thing that's quite bothering me now is the back spring holding the pliers open. It's really weak/insufficient to hold the pliers in the open position. But then again, we probably expected too much from it. Now at $17, I would say its a buy. Dun like it, return it or keep it as a paperweight. Looks pretty.

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 27, 2019, 06:44:30 AM
This looks like the same version that was tested on We All Juggle Knives, but with scissors instead of the serrated blade. It got good reviews there, and I've seen some other youtube reviews of the scissor-less version that gave it props. But, is this one really not the Heavy Duty tool? It looks JUST like it, no?

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: July 27, 2019, 07:26:44 AM
Different tool indeed. They do look identical on camera though. Tell tell is that the HD version is almost 14oz and the 4" is around 10.5oz. The HD is 0.5" longer and a bit wider. The HD has non-sprung pliers as well, while the 4" has sprung pliers.

I like the big OG HD myself, but most people who bought one seemed to disagree. Some reasons were scissors, handle splay, and pliers pivot feeling coarse.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #41 on: July 28, 2019, 02:16:31 PM
   Workpro missed an opportunity on the smaller version of this tool with the scissors. They work OK, but if you look at the slot where they fold into, they could have been made about  3/4 of an inch longer making them more useful. After comparing it with the larger one again, the finish is not quite as good on the smaller tool. Somebody that is good at modding these things could probably find a pair of scissors on another multitool and put it into this one. I still think it was a good buy at $17.00!    :D

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 28, 2019, 04:18:18 PM
Note that the scissors are a neat carbon copy of the scissors out of a SOG Sync II. The spring is on the opposite side, but they look identical otherwise. The workpro scissors cut better than the SOG scissors do! WAY better, actually.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 01, 2019, 10:48:11 PM
It looks like Mossy Oak has a version of the HD tool (4.5”) with one less tool in each handle. Handles are either black rubberized or camo. Same toolset, but missing awl and can opener. There is the addition of a pocket clip, however.

They’re all over eBay for good prices at the moment.

Charles.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 10:58:15 PM by ChopperCharles »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: August 01, 2019, 11:35:58 PM
It looks like Mossy Oak has a version of the HD tool (4.5”) with one less tool in each handle. Handles are either black rubberized or camo. Same toolset, but missing awl and can opener. There is the addition of a pocket clip, however.

They’re all over eBay for good prices at the moment.

Charles.
Those are pretty good tools for the money. Wal-Mart carried them in 2018 for $8.77. Then clearanced them at $5 at some point.
One issue with them though. The polished tools will rust quickly, because they are so pitted. I carried mone ONE day and noticed spotting in the polished tools. :ahhh

They are however, not even close to the WorkPro HD in quality and fit & finish.

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 01, 2019, 11:39:15 PM
Cool, glad you told me before I bought one. The locking mechanism seems the same or very similar and the tools are the same shape. So I thought it was just a rebranded workpro.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 01, 2019, 11:43:48 PM
Also the camo version has black oxide tools. Those might be less prone to corrosion.

Finally, I still love my 4” workpro with the scissors. It’s a great tool so far.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD