Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Random thoughts on new Executive

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Random thoughts on new Executive
on: August 09, 2017, 03:58:59 AM
Received my executive from the MTO store yesterday and I wanted to post a few random thoughts.

First, my hats off to the MTO store. At only $4 (plus shipping), who can best that? Being so inexpensive I wasn't sure what to expect or just how "used" it would be. I'm happy to report that after just a mild cleaning with some soap and water it looks nice. Nothing appears bent or out of place, though it could use a bit of sharpening but I'm certainly not complaining there.

I will say though that there are some issues with the knife, (or design) which will keep me from using it as an edc. In general I try to avoid repetition in selecting that perfect edc. Though 2 blades might be acceptable on a 91mm, the blades on the executive are both so tiny I think their intended use overlaps too much. The scissors are also on the smallish side for me, though of course they do work well on smaller things.

The orange peeler is kind of neat, I tried it opening some letters. It worked pretty well and I wonder how it might do on those plastic blister packs or boxing tape etc. I kind of like the novelty of it and will enjoy coming up with some other uses for it.

I have to say though, having it now makes me appreciate the 85mm all the more as the "just right" size for me. In that size I have the evowood 14 and really love it. Funny, on the 91mm SAKs I kind of like, or at least don't mind 2 blades. But every time I pull out the evowood I'm happy it has the small file rather than the blade. I think my thought is having a small prybar or scraper or whatever WITHOUT an edge on it is a good thing,  :D At least for me, (huh, I guess I could use the bottle opener for that as well though).

The bad news is now I'm desiring the evo grip 14, sigh  :facepalm:

Think I'll keep the executive around my desk as a letter opener.
IMG_0908.JPG
* IMG_0908.JPG (Filesize: 232.69 KB)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:01:59 AM by Faddy Daddy »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Random thoughts on new Executive
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 05:52:48 PM
Received my executive from the MTO store yesterday and I wanted to post a few random thoughts.

First, my hats off to the MTO store. At only $4 (plus shipping), who can best that? Being so inexpensive I wasn't sure what to expect or just how "used" it would be. I'm happy to report that after just a mild cleaning with some soap and water it looks nice. Nothing appears bent or out of place, though it could use a bit of sharpening but I'm certainly not complaining there.

I will say though that there are some issues with the knife, (or design) which will keep me from using it as an edc. In general I try to avoid repetition in selecting that perfect edc. Though 2 blades might be acceptable on a 91mm, the blades on the executive are both so tiny I think their intended use overlaps too much. The scissors are also on the smallish side for me, though of course they do work well on smaller things.

The orange peeler is kind of neat, I tried it opening some letters. It worked pretty well and I wonder how it might do on those plastic blister packs or boxing tape etc. I kind of like the novelty of it and will enjoy coming up with some other uses for it.

I have to say though, having it now makes me appreciate the 85mm all the more as the "just right" size for me. In that size I have the evowood 14 and really love it. Funny, on the 91mm SAKs I kind of like, or at least don't mind 2 blades. But every time I pull out the evowood I'm happy it has the small file rather than the blade. I think my thought is having a small prybar or scraper or whatever WITHOUT an edge on it is a good thing,  :D At least for me, (huh, I guess I could use the bottle opener for that as well though).

The bad news is now I'm desiring the evo grip 14, sigh  :facepalm:

Think I'll keep the executive around my desk as a letter opener.

Great deal!
 :tu: :tu:

Also... General I!
 :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:39:22 PM
I got one of the Executives from the MTO store a while back too. I keep looking the knife over, but can't make my mind up on it.

I will say that I used to have a Director, which is the same tool with metal scales, and ended up selling it as I just wasn't gelling with it. I also ended up selling all my other 74mm knives and writing off the entire line. When I was placing the order for something else at the store, I decided to give this tool another try. The plan was to take it apart, and either rebuild it with the same toolset in fancy scales, or transplant in tools from the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest, but I don't know if that would just be a waste of a good PTC  :think:

I agree that the second blade is redundant on this, and the only driver is the one on the tip of the orange peeler, unless you find a Phillips that the nail file fits in without breaking it. However, it seems wrong to replace the small blade with the SD file when there's already a nail file on there. The main blade is perfectly fine for light duty fine, the scissors are perfectly fine too (though mine are due a little adjustment when I get around to working on it), and the file portion of the nail file is the best on any of the Vics. The tip of the file on mine is actually slightly twisted, so obviously someone has used it to turn a stubborn screw at some point.  :twak:

The orange peeler is an odd duck though. I don't mind serrated blades so long as it's a decent length. That's one thing that confuses me with many combo blades - the serrated section is too short to be of any use. The whole tool is 52mm long, but it's only 22mm of semi-usefulness on the end of a 30mm stick. Why? :shrug: I know from having the Director version before, that the knife blade peels an orange just as well as this, and I'm struggling to foresee a use for this blade that the main blade couldn't handle (aside from driving small screws) :shrug:

So the question is whether I leave it as is, or switch the small blade for an SD file, and switch the file and orange peeler for the awl and precision driver on a PTC/Evo88 ... :think:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:40:43 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 09:54:35 PM
I've been one click away from ordering an Executive several times but just can't seem to pull the trigger as it just doesn't seem to fit in anywhere in my panoply of "needs" :think:
I do see a Pocket Tool Chest in my future though, but primarily because of all the PTC love I see exhibited here :whistle:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:05:53 PM
I've been one click away from ordering an Executive several times but just can't seem to pull the trigger as it just doesn't seem to fit in anywhere in my panoply of "needs" :think:
I do see a Pocket Tool Chest in my future though, but primarily because of all the PTC love I see exhibited here :whistle:

Well if you do, I think that will make 5 of us  :rofl: I think there's only me, Gene, ColoSwiss and Peacent who use them

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 10:07:41 PM
Don't be silly! Here at MT.o "needs" are just "wants" in disguise when it comes to purchasing a new SAK!  :climber:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:22:22 PM
It isn't the quantity of users as much as it is the devotion I see displayed that has me interested. You guys seem to sneak in a PTC mention on a regular basis regardless of topic. It's almost cult-like :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 10:26:15 PM
It's normally just a  :pok: at the Minichamp though  :P :D

I'd certainly recommend trying one though  :cheers:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 10:27:33 PM
The closest I came was several years ago when there was a limited edition Executive in mammoth ivory. The "need" was that I didn't have an elegant, formal occasion SAK. The price tag backed me off though.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 10:28:30 PM
It's normally just a  :pok: at the Minichamp though  :P :D

I'd certainly recommend trying one though  :cheers:

It's next in line :cheers:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 10:29:19 PM
Oh come on people, just admit you wanted an Executive just because MacGyver used one to defuse a bomb... :pok::pok::pok:

I know I did ...

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 10:37:49 PM
The closest I came was several years ago when there was a limited edition Executive in mammoth ivory. The "need" was that I didn't have an elegant, formal occasion SAK. The price tag backed me off though.

I remember those. The quality of the scales what quite hit and miss as I recall. You probably dodged a bullet there.

I got the Director for that reason, but didn't get along with it. I now have a brushed stainless scaled PTC, brushed stainless scaled Traveller, horn scaled Huntsman .... and then whatever I decide to do with this Executive  :think:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 11:29:26 PM
Come to think of it, I never really filled that "need". But then formal occasions rank slightly below gonorrhea on my list of things to avoid. Maybe a brushed stainless PTC is just what I "need" :think:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 11:44:53 PM
I use to have an Executive carried it occasionally for about a year till I lost it. I don't miss it. I have the same problem with it as I do with the Mini Champ. Why waste space for useful tools like drivers on three knife blades? Do you really think I need a special tool to peal an orange or open a pill bottle?  I can't imagine a cutting task for a keychain size SAK that you can't accomplish with the scissors or main blade.

Just my two cents.

Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 12:08:57 AM
On my Executive, I use the small blade to opens packages, etc and keep the larger blade for food prep.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 12:13:55 AM
On my Executive, I use the small blade to opens packages, etc and keep the larger blade for food prep.

The issue I have with the clean blade/dirty blade philosophy, is that they sit next to each other. In fact when you hook your nail in the nick to open it, the two blades touch anyway.

I also don't like using folders for food prep, as you can't be sure you've cleaned them properly

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 12:16:02 AM

The issue I have with the clean blade/dirty blade philosophy, is that they sit next to each other. In fact when you hook your nail in the nick to open it, the two blades touch anyway.

I also don't like using folders for food prep, as you can't be sure you've cleaned them properly
Alox makes good food knives, better than celidor. No need to worry about gunk getting caught in between the scales and the liners.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 12:36:27 AM
And my executive continues to sit in my desk drawer. Hoping some day I might find a difficult letter to open :)

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 12:43:31 AM
Actually, to think about it more, if I were a moder, (which I'm not and probably never will be), I would replace the small blade with a combo opener, such as from the compact, (probably too big), and the orange peeler with ... hmmm, does the orange peeler work okay on blister packs? Maybe keep it afterall :) It's the redundant blades that seem to waste the most space, yup.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:54 AM
Oh come on people, just admit you wanted an Executive just because MacGyver used one to defuse a bomb... :pok::pok::pok:

I know I did ...

:D

:D  :D. :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 03:32:48 PM
Actually, to think about it more, if I were a moder, (which I'm not and probably never will be), I would replace the small blade with a combo opener, such as from the compact, (probably too big), and the orange peeler with ... hmmm, does the orange peeler work okay on blister packs? Maybe keep it afterall :) It's the redundant blades that seem to waste the most space, yup.

keep it there! It does wonders on blister packs or (what I use it for) plastic wrapping for pallets, plastic flower pots and cardboard or porexpan boxes covered with tape and cordage wrapping 
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 04:25:04 PM
Quote from: gene stoner link=topic=73385.msg1544522#ms :cheers: :cheers:g1544522 date=1503870293
I use to have an Executive carried it occasionally for about a year till I lost it. I don't miss it. I have the same problem with it as I do with the Mini Champ. Why waste space for useful tools like drivers on three knife blades? Do you really think I need a special tool to peal an orange or open a pill bottle?  I can't imagine a cutting task for a keychain size SAK that you can't accomplish with the scissors or main blade.

Just my two cents.

Same... :cheers:
Once I lost the Executive, just went back to the Classic until I found the Rambler.   :salute:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 04:51:25 PM

Alox makes good food knives, better than celidor. No need to worry about gunk getting caught in between the scales and the liners.

Nope, just the tang and liners/scales, tang and backspring, and backspring and liners/scales  :P
Fixed blades are WAY simpler to clean, and that will always be my preference for food prep.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD