Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where to obtain a 1.5 x 5mm Tritium Vial for a RovyVon Flashlight?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
  Have been following RovyVon's flashlights since acquiring one with a blue/red light. It actually helps me read date codes on Frito Lay chip bags as they often print black ink on dark blue backgrounds. Have has similar issues with date codes in faint silver on red bags, and those lights on their Angel Eyes works wonders, although the res destroys my day vision. The blue version I use in my day pack for work.

Anyhow, they came out with this CR123 size battery light, RovyVon S3 LED Flashlight 1800 lumen! :ahhh And it had a slot for a 1.5 x 5mm Tritium Vial, but all I can find are 6mm long versions, nothing shorter or at 5mm. Can any of you experts please help a newbie like me on locating a source for 1.5 by 5mm Tritium Vial? Orange would be an awesome color if they come in that. Anything but green. Am willing to compromise. Am going to get a titanium version for longevity and multiple uses. Looks like a tough light.

Not sure what type of glue/epoxy is used to glue one of them in *if* I can find a suitable tritium vial. Might needs help with that too. :hatsoff:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Sos24

Whenever I have bought tritium vials, it has been from MixGlo.

I do not see 1.5x5 on their website, but they do have 1.2x5 which may be your best fit.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
I get my Tritium from whatever the cheapest Ebay seller (with good rep and reviews) is at the time and have never been disappointed  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

I asked RovyVon why they did not use a 1.5 by 6mm slot instead of their nearly impossible to find 5mm. They wrote back via my poser on Amazon:
Answer: Thank you for contacting us. We just confirmed that the size is 1.5 mm by 6mm. We will correct the description. Sorry for the misleading.

Should have the flashlight in a week or so and will measure to be sure. Shipping has slowed since late October. Think the online shopping scare caused a lot of the delays.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Sos24

I asked RovyVon why they did not use a 1.5 by 6mm slot instead of their nearly impossible to find 5mm. They wrote back via my poser on Amazon:
  Should have the flashlight in a week or so and will measure to be sure. Shipping has slowed since late October. Think the online shopping scare caused a lot of the delays.
1.5x6 does make a lot more sense.

Has anyone here added a tritium vial to their knives or multitools? Not sure how durable the casing is on the vials.
¬ Outback in Idaho

• No Life Club
  Has anyone here added a tritium vial to their knives or multitools? Not sure how durable the casing is on the vials.

I've added them to a few torches and they've held up okay, if you're concerned about the durability you can give them a little clear coated protection with whatever adhesive you're using or some clear nail polish.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Well... ordered and Amazon lost it. Then they relabeled once found, and no tracking. Figured was lost again. Contacted Amazon Vine CS and they refunded the amount spent. Then I ordered the aluminum version from the Vine, and it should arrive tomorrow ... if Amazon does not lose it again.

Then today had a package arrive and I was expecting something I ordered. But had a Liithium Battery warning on the side, but I ordered a Pinion Pine Incense Burner...  :think: Opened it up and there was the Titanium S3 laying there in a zippered pouch. :o 

There is a slot from the front, with scoring on the ends. The top slot if far too skinny. Am assuming a tritium vial would go in from the front, which is at 5.97mm in length. So might be close unless the digital micrometer is off a hair.
  Now have to find a reputable source to get a tritium vial with reasonable cost + shipping. Mixglow says it could take 2 weeks to ship, and Ebay is $35 + $8+ shipping for one vial! :ahhh Not sure why they cannot be bought in the USA, and old Amazon links for tritium vials have been removed. Not sure exactly how to find the buggers on Amazon as everything but the vials show up.
  Might be a while before I get a tritium vial. Was thinking orange or maybe yellow. Green does not catch my eyes very well. Ice Blue maybe, if I can find the source again.

Here's a review of the light with better photos than I could make: https://zeroair.org/2021/09/21/rovyvon-s3-flashlight-review/

Guessing a front load with some sort of glue?

* IMG_E3280.jpg (Filesize: 238.35 KB)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 03:04:39 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Might be a while before I get a tritium vial. Was thinking orange or maybe yellow. Green does not catch my eyes very well. Ice Blue maybe, if I can find the source again.

I don't know whether you were aware or not but most non-green trit tubes are usually less bright than the same size green ones.  In fact a lot of the non-green ones can be quite disappointingly dull by comparison (but unscrupulous sellers sometimes fiddle with exposure to make them seem brighter).  That's why most you see for sale are green.  IIRC yellow is often the next best brightness to green.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

I don't know whether you were aware or not but most non-green trit tubes are usually less bright than the same size green ones.  In fact a lot of the non-green ones can be quite disappointingly dull by comparison (but unscrupulous sellers sometimes fiddle with exposure to make them seem brighter).  That's why most you see for sale are green.  IIRC yellow is often the next best brightness to green.

Ahh, did not know this. Thank you!! Did get a video from Rovyvon on how this bugger is inserted, and it is from the front. Lots seem to point to Norland's NOA61 for the adhesive. Ordered the glue and green vial from  jlhawaii808.com
¬ Outback in Idaho

Re: Where to obtain a 1.5 x 5mm Tritium Vial for a RovyVon Flashlight?
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 03:34:40 AM
  Tritium Vial arrived today. Used the bed as the playground so I would not lose the tiny thing. It fit inside well. Used the special glue with an enclosed a pipette first, slid the tritium vial inside. Used the longest fingernail to be sure it was seated. Put glue on both sides.

Was expecting a much brighter glow. Guess these are not T100.

Used a dual UV iPhone LED over the holes to help cure the glue. Not sure just how long the UV-C LED version would need to be applied. Gave it a minute or so at close range. The Tritium REALLY glowed under the effects of the UV-C LED lights! If they were only THAT bright at night too. :o  Think I got the vial in slightly crooked. *sigh*

* IMG_3322.jpg (Filesize: 61.7 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 05:22:13 AM
Tritium isn't bright, good lume is going to be brighter a lot of the time with indirect charging. The benefit+cool factor of tritium is that it creates it's own light.

They do really pop under UV, but if you're using UV-C then please be careful, that can be harmful and best used in sterilisation circumstances where you aren't exposed to it.

Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 08:36:26 PM
  The UV-C LED light I got, that plugs into an iPhone or iPad device does have warning labels not to look at it - obviously. It could show stains and contamination well enough, but I questioned just how effective its light was to actually disinfect a surface. Others made similar comments and the item vanished off Amazon. Here is all I have from Publicly Released Information:

UV Light Sanitizer Co Portable Pro Mini UVC-02 LED Sterilizer - 3-Pack Disinfecting UV Light Wand USB Stick Kills 99% Germs on Objects & Surfaces - Gr
Sold by: South Bay Board Co. -  Think it was 2 watts, found a similar item on Amazon that looks a whole lot like the one I reviewed. Never really used it for anything up until now, to cure the glue for the tritium vial.
¬ Outback in Idaho

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 08:42:20 PM
  The UV-C LED light I got, that plugs into an iPhone or iPad device does have warning labels not to look at it - obviously. It could show stains and contamination well enough, but I questioned just how effective its light was to actually disinfect a surface. Others made similar comments and the item vanished off Amazon. Here is all I have from Publicly Released Information:

UV Light Sanitizer Co Portable Pro Mini UVC-02 LED Sterilizer - 3-Pack Disinfecting UV Light Wand USB Stick Kills 99% Germs on Objects & Surfaces - Gr
Sold by: South Bay Board Co. -  Think it was 2 watts, found a similar item on Amazon that looks a whole lot like the one I reviewed. Never really used it for anything up until now, to cure the glue for the tritium vial.

UV-C is potentially harmful with skin contact, the more common 'blacklight' form of UV is adequate for showing stains and curing UV adhesives.

It's possible that your plug-in isn't actually UV-C, you can buy test strips to check it. I used test strips to verify the phone disinfectant 'bath' I got for the house was actually doing something, they're pretty cheap.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%