Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confession: I don't get the Executive

Nix · 288 · 15673

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Confession: I don't get the Executive
on: August 30, 2017, 08:10:47 PM
Really.

I just don't understand it. I love my Classics, my Ramblers, and my Ambassador. I like smaller SAKs. But the Executive makes no sense to me. Every time I look at one I have an initial moment of excitement that starts to fade into confusion.  :think:

You end up with a whole extra layer of bulk (the antithesis of a small compact knife) for no extra capability. The awesome Ambassador does everything the Executive does, but in a thinner package.

We all have our blind spots and this Executive thing may be mine. Some don't get the hook, I don't get the "orange peeler". In candor, I find I'm slightly insulted by the gimmicky "orange peeler". I mean, I already have a knife or finger nail tool I can use to loosen an orange's peel, so why the specialty tool?

Nah, I don't get it. And I really don't get why the Executive seems to be so much more popular than the Ambassador. My only comfort here is that the Classic is more popular and more carried than all the 74's.

So, if you can spare a line or two, please tell me why you prefer to carry an Executive over and Ambassador or Classic.  ???

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Re: Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:20:49 PM
I have one. And I agree, I think the orange peeler could be replaced with some other tool, maybe a bigger version of the 58mm combo tool. And I get the 91mm small blade, but on a 74? The Executive is a good knife but it's weird.
Oh, the orange peeler can be used to open packages and stuff but... Blade!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:29:03 PM
I love the Executive.  It's my favorite offering from Victorinox and I've been carrying it since I can remember.

-the 2 blade config is great.  The small blade for utility work and the larger blade for food prep.
-the orange peeler is great to open clam shell packages, without dulling the main blades.  It can be use for light prying and screwdriver work.
-the file is the best, bar none.
-the scissors outperform any of the smaller 58mm scissors.

That just a small list of why I love the Executive.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:35:38 PM
I just wanna say I am right there with you Nix. I have been this close to pulling the trigger on an Executive multiple times, but every time I really look at the tool I just scratch my head and walk away.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:00:08 PM
I have several Executives, red and black cellidor, and also a Director, that is an Executive with steel scales. To me, the Executive is the Champ of the 74mm range, and a must have. Many years ago, when I was still an office worker, the SwissChamp/Executive combo was my favorite carry.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:01:09 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 09:06:51 PM
I have several Executives, red and black cellidor, and also a Director, that is an Executive with steel scales. To me, the Executive is the Champ of the 74mm range, and a must have. Many years ago, when I was still an office worker, the SwissChamp/Executive combo was my favorite carry.

Oh, I realize that people like it. But explain why you need an Executive more than an Ambassador. Nascar seems to have some solid reasoning: 3 cutting tools each with it's assigned range of tasks, plus a good file (I love a good file).

But.....3 cutting tools? I am still unsure about the need for a large and small blade on my Tinker. The Sportsman replaces the small blade with a useful file (but a smallish file).  I just clean my blade after using it, so I seem to get by with one good blade. Why would you want all that extra bulk to do the same thing 3 different ways?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:08:36 PM by Nix »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 09:17:02 PM
MacGyver used the orange peeler to help defuse a bomb, that's why. :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 09:22:15 PM

Oh, I realize that people like it. But explain why you need an Executive more than an Ambassador. Nascar seems to have some solid reasoning: 3 cutting tools each with it's assigned range of tasks, plus a good file (I love a good file).

But.....3 cutting tools? I am still unsure about the need for a large and small blade on my Tinker. The Sportsman replaces the small blade with a useful file (but a smallish file).  I just clean my blade after using it, so I seem to get by with one good blade. Why would you want all that extra bulk to do the same thing 3 different ways?

It's all about different sizes and blade shapes for a variety of jobs in environments from the public office to the wild forest. I do not believe in a single SAK for all purposes.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 09:24:35 PM
I bought mine for two reasons; one, the small blade was cool, and two, it was on an original episode of MacGyver in the 1980's. It's a cool knife, I just don't have any real use for it at the time
DSCN2956.JPG
* DSCN2956.JPG (Filesize: 272.32 KB)
Send In the spartans

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 09:25:17 PM
Chuck Yeager used an Executive as his sole woods knife when he went on week long trips into the woods, living on fish and such. :salute:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 09:26:26 PM
Chuck Yeager used an Executive as his sole woods knife when he went on week long trips into the woods, living on fish and such. :salute:
Link: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=47401.0

All hail the hook!

us Offline redmond

Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 09:35:27 PM
I've carried an Executive for 35-40 years and it is my favorite EDC SAK. Is it a bit quirky? Yup, so am I - what's your point?   :D

There is no single SAK for everyone. Otherwise, Victorinox would only offer one model. No wrong answers just happy choices.

The Ambassador looks like a great SAK too. The biggest reason I carry an Executive and not an Ambassador is that I have an Executive (actually two) and don't have an Ambassador.

Might have to take a harder look at that one.
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 09:39:51 PM
Too true. It's all a matter of preference. :cheers:
Send In the spartans

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 09:42:15 PM

OK, yer tuggin' at my heart strings there, because Chuck is a hero of mine. They broke the mold the day they forged him. But, I gotta ask, did Chuck make a choice between the Executive and the Ambassador? Did he weight the options and go with the Executive? Or did he just buy the smallest knife in the BX? (I bought my avatar Classic in the BX, too.)

I bet Chuck would pick a compact now.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 09:45:00 PM

OK, yer tuggin' at my heart strings there, because Chuck is a hero of mine. They broke the mold the day they forged him. But, I gotta ask, did Chuck make a choice between the Executive and the Ambassador? Did he weight the options and go with the Executive? Or did he just buy the smallest knife in the BX? (I bought my avatar Classic in the BX, too.)

:rofl:

Sorry to be a video pusher but i JUST made a video about this subject... comparing the Ambassador to the Executive and other small SAKs.   :cheers:

https://youtu.be/w0_03vL-FV4
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:48:00 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 09:48:55 PM
I had an Executive till I lost it. Don't miss it. No desire to get another one.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 09:51:54 PM

Sorry to be a video pusher but i JUST made a video about this subject... comparing the Ambassador to the Executive and other small SAKs.   :cheers:

And a lovely video it was.

If I remember correctly, you concluded that the Ambassador was the ultimate EDC SAK.  :whistle:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:26 PM
MacGyver used the orange peeler to help defuse a bomb, that's why. :rofl:

I was going to say that....   :rofl:   :rofl:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 09:59:00 PM
I had an Executive till I lost it. Don't miss it. No desire to get another one.

Thanks!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 10:10:03 PM
So, if you can spare a line or two, please tell me why you prefer to carry an Executive over and Ambassador or Classic.  ???

Answering your question, I don't...  :D That's why i gave my Executive to my wife years ago  :facepalm:

It's a good knife for small tasks and grooming, pealing oranges and defusing bombs with 80's technology...  :rofl:

But for a secondary Sak i prefer the classic for those tasks vs the Executive, for main Sak, the lack of decent screw driving abilities and other put me off, so 84mm minimum there  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 10:12:41 PM
I hear that!  :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 10:13:16 PM

And a lovely video it was.

If I remember correctly, you concluded that the Ambassador was the ultimate EDC SAK.  :whistle:

yes, for watch pocket along with your Compact in the pocket and Midnite Manager on the keychain.     :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 10:18:48 PM

But Chuck is a superhero, and I would need a fully loaded Jeep towing a camper trailer along with several SAKs and MTs.  :D

I would go for a bladeless Exec, like a super Jetsetter or something, that would make the orange peeler a star!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 10:28:44 PM
I would go for a bladeless Exec, like a super Jetsetter or something, that would make the orange peeler a star!  :tu:

I love that idea. Where is the pre-production order list?  :tu:

p.s. I heard Chuck Norris goes trail breaking in Siberia with only a Jetsetter. True? Probably.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 10:35:42 PM

I love that idea. Where is the pre-production order list?  :tu:

p.s. I heard Chuck Norris goes trail breaking in Siberia with only a Jetsetter. True? Probably.

I also read this on the internet, so it must be true!   :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 10:39:03 PM
Really.

I just don't understand it. I love my Classics, my Ramblers, and my Ambassador. I like smaller SAKs. But the Executive makes no sense to me. Every time I look at one I have an initial moment of excitement that starts to fade into confusion.  :think:

You end up with a whole extra layer of bulk (the antithesis of a small compact knife) for no extra capability. The awesome Ambassador does everything the Executive does, but in a thinner package.

We all have our blind spots and this Executive thing may be mine. Some don't get the hook, I don't get the "orange peeler". In candor, I find I'm slightly insulted by the gimmicky "orange peeler". I mean, I already have a knife or finger nail tool I can use to loosen an orange's peel, so why the specialty tool?

Nah, I don't get it. And I really don't get why the Executive seems to be so much more popular than the Ambassador. My only comfort here is that the Classic is more popular and more carried than all the 74's.

I'm so glad it's not just me  :D

I had one, in the form of the Director, and after a couple of years of looking at it and trying to figure it out, I sold it.

Then after a couple of years of not having one, and hearing people praising it, I decided to give it another go. I still don't get it. The scissors are better than a 58mm, and the nail file is very good. Orange peeler? Well let's be real, if any other manufacturer put a screwdriver on the end of a cutting blade, we would laugh them out of the room. Nuff said.

This time round I intend to mod it into a knife worth having .... I just haven't figured out how yet  :oops:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 10:50:04 PM

I don't actually know, but the answer may be out there.  :whistle: :pok: ;)
Thinking about it, he may have picked the Executive as it is the smallest SAK with two blades?  :shrug:
(The minichamp doesn't count!)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 11:00:13 PM

My father spent some time in the UK in the 50's. Any chance we're related?  :think:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 11:13:17 PM

My father spent some time in the UK in the 50's. Any chance we're related?  :think:

I wasn't born till the 70's, so you'd have to ask an earlier generation  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 05:44:10 AM
I think Vick used his Executive to amputate a pilot's leg:
http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/chuck-yeager-fighter-pilot/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!