Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confession: I don't get the Executive

Nix · 288 · 16209

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Re: Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #120 on: September 05, 2017, 04:09:28 AM
I've got to admit my executive has been growing on me, mostly because of it's size and weight I think.
Since following this thread I'm tempted to give the Ambassador a try, if only the file had a screwdriver on the the end.
Maybe I'll give a manager a try, it has an intriguing little tool set, unfortunately it's really small right? I mean about the same as a classic?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #121 on: September 05, 2017, 04:15:46 AM
Yup.

I've wondered, but not tested, if the Ambassador file tip may work as a small Philips driver. I guess that's not a situation I run into often, or I would have tried it by now.

If drivers are an important feature, I'd go with a Cadet. I love the Cadet. Real knife blade, two drivers, nail file, and more. And as thin as a Classic.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:17:23 AM by Nix »

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #122 on: September 05, 2017, 04:26:52 AM
Ha ha Nix, good idea except I'm trying to avoid going down Alox ally, at least until I exhaust this side of the vic product line. I think I keep rationalizing how each one would be great until I own at least one of every model  :whistle:
RIght now I'm toying with the idea of carrying a manager plus a sportsman. Though I typically only like to carry one SAK, I might look for a small clip to attach the manager to my key chain, that way I'll still have scissors, albeit small ones :)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #123 on: September 05, 2017, 04:43:44 AM
Oh dear.

The closest I've come to a 'One Sak Solution' is the Pioneer X, the Super Tinker, or the Climber.  Otherwise, the Cadet or the Compact seem darn close. Of course with a Cadet, I like to pair it with a Classic...oh my, here we are again.....

The Sportsman is a gem, but then you find yourself needing some scissors....so a Sportsman & Ambassador combo seems just right....... :think:  :pok:

:cheers:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #124 on: September 05, 2017, 05:07:28 AM
Yep quite the quandary  :cheers:

I do like the looks of the cadet, but doesn't the sportsman get the same tool set plus T&T, plus awl and corkscrew?
If paired with a manager, would add teeny blade and scissors along with another yet smaller set of drivers. Oh, and a pen hehe.
I should maybe put this in the SAK combo thread ... ??

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #125 on: September 05, 2017, 09:55:51 AM
One of us! One of us!
Macgyver Swiss Army Knife Usage
One of us! One of us!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: September 05, 2017, 11:09:35 AM

MacGyver used one to defuse a BOMB, what more reason do you need?

If we let MacGyver choose our SAK's, we'd all carry a Tinker....or a Camper....or a Spartan.....and a Recruit. Did the executive feature in more than one or two episodes?
Yeah, he carried a lot of different SAKs, but the executive was the one that diffused the bomb.

Holy smurf I just realized how much MacGyver was one of us! He could never stick with the same SAK in his pocket either!

Yep, he used the Executive in 4 or 5 Ep's, on some he used the Executive in one scene and another Sak on another.

LOL, yeah we could fantasize on that... Or we can just face it that most of the Sak's for the Ep's where just random unless a specific tool usage was written into the shot, and that they went thru so many mainly because RDA keept destroying most of them (on and off scene...)    :rofl:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #127 on: September 05, 2017, 04:35:15 PM

If we let MacGyver choose our SAK's, we'd all carry a Tinker....or a Camper....or a Spartan.....and a Recruit. Did the executive feature in more than one or two episodes?
Yeah, he carried a lot of different SAKs, but the executive was the one that diffused the bomb.

Holy smurf I just realized how much MacGyver was one of us! He could never stick with the same SAK in his pocket either!

Yep, he used the Executive in 4 or 5 Ep's, on some he used the Executive in one scene and another Sak on another.

LOL, yeah we could fantasize on that... Or we can just face it that most of the Sak's for the Ep's where just random unless a specific tool usage was written into the shot, and that they went thru so many mainly because RDA keept destroying most of them (on and off scene...)    :rofl:
Why were the random, who was RDA and why were they destroying MacGyver's smurfing SAKs?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #128 on: September 05, 2017, 04:38:46 PM

Why were the random, who was RDA and why were they destroying MacGyver's smurfing SAKs?
Richard Dean Anderson, an acter noted for playing a guy on Stargate. :whistle:

Apparently Victorinox gave the MacGyver producers a box of SAKs, and they picked the ones to use for each episode either randomly or according to the script calling for a specific special tool to be used(like the orange peeler).

All hail the hook!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #129 on: September 05, 2017, 04:43:53 PM

Apparently Victorinox gave the MacGyver producers a box of SAKs, and they picked the ones to use for each episode either randomly or according to the script calling for a specific special tool to be used(like the orange peeler).

Might be some guy who also played MacGyver?
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #130 on: September 05, 2017, 04:44:34 PM

:shrug:

All hail the hook!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #131 on: September 05, 2017, 04:49:15 PM

Well you might not gotten as scared as I did when they announced Richard Anderson dead! Took me a while it wasn't Richard DEAN Anderson...
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #132 on: September 05, 2017, 04:53:57 PM

Well you might not gotten as scared as I did when they announced Richard Anderson dead! Took me a while it wasn't Richard DEAN Anderson...
He's alive and well, bar all the pains and aches he aquired from breaking bones and taking tumbles on the MacGyver set.  :-\
RDA website

All hail the hook!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: September 05, 2017, 07:50:47 PM

:rofl:

Yeah, RDA also said he always carried a sak in his pocket and his pass time off set was throwing sak's and sticking on telephone poles and other stuff...  :facepalm: Between those and the ones he destroyed making some of the Macgyver shots he must have destroyed over 100 of them...  :facepalm:   :o
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #134 on: September 05, 2017, 09:30:39 PM
Dang this Forum. I've just pulled the trigger on an Ambassador just to see what the fuss is all about *sigh* I'm sure I'll cope either way   :facepalm:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

fi Offline Padre

Reply #135 on: September 05, 2017, 09:43:20 PM
Dang this Forum. I've just pulled the trigger on an Ambassador just to see what the fuss is all about *sigh* I'm sure I'll cope either way   :facepalm:

I hope you enjoy it as its my favorite SAK under 85mm. So flat too. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #136 on: September 05, 2017, 09:43:52 PM

You're going to love it.

:SAKnight:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #137 on: September 05, 2017, 09:49:10 PM

Ha ha Fast Bill, sure you'll enjoy I'm kinda in the same boat due to this forum. Except I'm thinking of springing for the Manager and giving that one a try.
As far as the Ambassador goes, it's tempting but I already have the Executive which everyone agrees is way better  :whistle:

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #138 on: September 05, 2017, 10:08:19 PM
Doesn't seem to be anything more than a longer Classic, unless I'm missing something.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #139 on: September 05, 2017, 10:22:00 PM
Doesn't seem to be anything more than a longer Classic, unless I'm missing something.

Yes, so it's 27% better.   >:D

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #140 on: September 05, 2017, 10:38:24 PM

Yes, so it's 27% better.   >:D

:rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #141 on: September 06, 2017, 12:54:43 AM

My being a wise-crackin' fool aside, the 74mm scissors are really nice and, I think, more helpful than the 58mm scissors. And the 74mm blade really is handier as well. The overall size gives me (large hands) a little more grip and control. The 74's really are sweet knives for EDC...at least the Ambassador is.  :pok:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #142 on: September 06, 2017, 12:56:45 AM

My being a wise-crackin' fool aside, the 74mm scissors are really nice and, I think, more helpful than the 58mm scissors. And the 74mm blade really is handier as well. The overall size gives me (large hands) a little more grip and control. The 74's really are sweet knives for EDC...at least the Ambassador is.  :pok:

agreed  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Reply #143 on: September 06, 2017, 01:07:40 AM
I totally agree about the 74mm line.  That's why I feel the Executive is unbeatable.  😋

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #144 on: September 06, 2017, 05:39:59 AM
I totally agree about the 74mm line.  That's why I feel the Executive is unbeatable.  😋

Oh, for sure. If I had a desk, and couldn't find an Ambassador, I'd probably get one.

:pok:  :cheers:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #145 on: September 06, 2017, 08:59:56 PM

Ha ha Fast Bill, sure you'll enjoy I'm kinda in the same boat due to this forum. Except I'm thinking of springing for the Manager and giving that one a try.
As far as the Ambassador goes, it's tempting but I already have the Executive which everyone agrees is way better  :whistle:

Now that's interesting. I have an Executive and I carried that today 'cos I was in the office and meetings all day. But I can't say the Manager does it for me and with a few Classics to my name I'm going to give the Ambassador the benefit of the doubt. Which just might be because I keep repeating a line from a cheesy Ferrero Rocher chocolate advert "Ambassador you spoil us ... !"
IMG_0172.jpg
* IMG_0172.jpg (Filesize: 323.29 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #146 on: September 06, 2017, 09:10:10 PM

Oh, for sure. If I had a desk, and couldn't find an Ambassador, I'd probably get one.

I have the furthest thing from a desk job and I think I would still choose the Executive over the Ambassador :think: Yep most definitely :D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:11:46 PM by Poncho65 »

Reply #147 on: September 06, 2017, 09:32:25 PM

I have the furthest thing from a desk job and I think I would still choose the Executive over the Ambassador :think: Yep most definitely :D
Agreed.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #148 on: September 06, 2017, 09:37:15 PM
I like thin ones.
 :whistle:
But chubbys are wonderful sometimes too.
 :multi:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #149 on: September 07, 2017, 01:20:36 AM

I have to confess that I've started edc'ing my executive. I agree with all that say the 74mm line is a really nice size. Quite a bit more usable than the classics and still not even noticeable in my pocket. Plus, I find the size just perfect for "fiddling with" in my pocket, ha ha.

It's been fun poking some fun at Nix  :pok: (hope ya don't mind)  :)  but in all honesty, what does the Ambassador have that the Executive doesn't? I will admit I'm also tempted to try out an Ambassador, just for the fun of it, but honestly, it really doesn't have anything that the executive doesn't. The file is a bit different and might be preferred by some, (wish they put a screw driver tip on it!) and yes, it's thinner and lighter but that makes little difference when I don't even notice the executive in my pocket as it is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%