Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confession: I don't get the Executive

Nix · 288 · 15778

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Re: Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #60 on: September 01, 2017, 05:45:17 AM
This is the reason I don't miss my lost Executive. For my needs nothing in the 75mm can top my Pocket Tool Chest for usefulness.
I sooooooo want one of these.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #61 on: September 01, 2017, 07:55:23 AM
It's not that much thicker and there is nowhere near bulk on the executive the antithesis is null. If it's not for you just move on with life.  :twak:

de Offline crackout

Reply #62 on: September 01, 2017, 08:23:25 AM
After pocket-EDCing my Alox Executive for about a year now I tried carrying a 91 Climber again. The bulk in my pocket is just unbearable with the 91. 84mm is acceptable but nothing compared to the slim 74.
I can't go back ever, I fear. :D

I will try to improve the knife though by incorporating tools form a PTC. Not sure about the layout yet. I'll have to see what works and what does not once the knife arrives.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:31:30 AM by crackout »
Say my name.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #63 on: September 01, 2017, 08:52:31 AM
For some reason, I like the Executive as a grooming knife, kept in my shaving utensils bag. I had one and I recently bought a second used one from MTO store to replace it, because I like the knife so much I wanted to keep the best of the two in the small collection for adoration.

To be frank, I only use the tools of the right side. Yes, you can find them in the Classic, but the 74mm format makes for a more comfortable handle for my hands and I find the Executive file better for nailwork. Also, I don't have a Classic, in contrast with all three other members of the family, because I always donate them and I am a maximalist anyway, so I tend to go directly to the Champ, Minichamp in this particular segment. So I carry the Minichamp on my keys, but since I only need scissors and a file in the bathroom, I keep the Executive there.

But, not liking it is trully understandable. that's whay they offer all these lines with all these alternative tool combinations.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #64 on: September 01, 2017, 12:33:50 PM
I carried one for over 7 years daily and to me it beats the Classic in every aspect ::) I can't count the time that I have used the orange peeler to score an orange :cheers: The blade on it as well as the scissors are a much more respectable size (to me) compared to the smaller counterparts of the Classic and the file is the best around in it's size range :cheers:

So, Poncho, I get why you like the Executive over the Classic. And, really, a good file is a great thing to have in one's pocket. And I'd agreed that the file on the Ambassador is....limited....maybe even disappointing. However, in terms of 'disappearing in the pocket', the Ambassador's slim size is exceptional. The smallish (but still functional) file is a design byproduct of keeping the Ambassador slim. It's like a Classic on steroids.

I guess I'd make the argument that if you anticipate needing multiple blades, you'd be better off carrying more knife. Say, an 84mm small Tinker or similar. If disappearing in the pocket is the goal, the Ambassador, an Alox Cadet, or the magnificent Classic has been my tool of choice. An Alox Rambler is a joy to carry.

I agree that the 74mm is more capable than the 58's. (Oddly, I have but one 74mm and several 58's.) But to me the Executive is a confused knife: neither slim nor full sized. Full of options, but no more capable than an Ambassador. And really, when do you need more than one blade?   :pok:

I do prefer more than one blade and that is one downfall to my Master Ranger ::) Plus the blade on the 58mm size isn't a very useful size for me :pok: Can't quarter an apple with it but the Executive blade handles this well (to me anyways ;) )

Plus an Execitive on a suspension clip is not even noticed until needed :cheers: I also don't get how you don't think that the Executive is a slim knife ??? It is very similar in size widthwise to the 58mm line only longer, thus providing longer more usable tools :tu:

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #65 on: September 01, 2017, 12:35:56 PM
This is the reason I don't miss my lost Executive. For my needs nothing in the 75mm can top my Pocket Tool Chest for usefulness.
Who makes that?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #66 on: September 01, 2017, 12:42:53 PM
After pocket-EDCing my Alox Executive for about a year now I tried carrying a 91 Climber again. The bulk in my pocket is just unbearable with the 91. 84mm is acceptable but nothing compared to the slim 74.

I will try to improve the knife though by incorporating tools form a PTC. Not sure about the layout yet. I'll have to see what works and what does not once the knife arrives.
Same feeling here.  I've been carrying my Executive teathered to my E01 in my right front pocket for so long, even the added thickness of a 84mm feels noticably uncomfortable.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #67 on: September 01, 2017, 12:44:47 PM
Who makes that?

Wenger did...

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tool+Chest

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #68 on: September 01, 2017, 12:46:53 PM

Same feeling here.  I've been carrying my Executive teathered to my E01 in my right front pocket for so long, even the added thickness of a 84mm feels noticably uncomfortable.

(Image removed from quote.)

Like that setup. They can both serve as a fob to each other, giving a larger and more confortable grip.
 :) :)

Unless you're using both at the same time...
 :( :(

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #69 on: September 01, 2017, 01:07:01 PM

Oh, one last thing: does anyody know why the nail fie tip in the Executive has this rather peculiar shape?

I think I understand what you're referring to.  Is it this divot?  I guess it's to reveal the nail nick on the scissors. Then, in the name of symmetry,  they put a divot on the other side.  Yes?  No? (Image removed from quote.)

Ooh this makes sense!
That's exactly what I meant, thank you!  :cheers:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #70 on: September 01, 2017, 04:53:51 PM

Like that setup. They can both serve as a fob to each other, giving a larger and more confortable grip.
 :) :)

Unless you're using both at the same time...
 :( :(

+1  Nice set up indeed!

us Offline getahl

Reply #71 on: September 01, 2017, 07:30:15 PM
I like the Exec, but I happen to like the Classic better. I have a couple that I carry one occasion, but there's nothing it can do that my smaller, favorite pen knife can't.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: September 01, 2017, 07:43:16 PM
I like the Exec, but I happen to like the Classic better. I have a couple that I carry one occasion, but there's nothing it can do that my smaller, favorite pen knife can't.

So what about the Ambassador? It's like a Classic, but 27% better.  :D  :pok:

This is what confounds me. People seem to fall into either the Executive camp or the Classic camp, with most people going Classic. The Ambassador would seem to strike a near perfect balance for those who value a slightly larger knife blade, but still enjoy the slim simplicity of the Classic. Yet the Ambassador rarely gets a mention. Why?

For me the Classic is a great pairing knife, but not a great paring knife. So I typically match it up with an Alox 84mm or 93mm knife carry. The Ambassador (and presumably the chunky Executive) do seem to be adequate for most EDC uses. Or, in the hands of a fighter pilot, E&E or long distance trekking. 

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #73 on: September 01, 2017, 07:45:27 PM

This is what confounds me. People seem to fall into either the Executive camp or the Classic camp, with most people going Classic. The Ambassador would seem to strike a near perfect balance for those who value a slightly larger knife blade, but still enjoy the slim simplicity of the Classic. Yet the Ambassador rarely gets a mention. Why?

For me the Classic is a great pairing knife, but not a great paring knife. So I typically match it up with an Alox 84mm or 93mm knife carry. The Ambassador (and presumably the chunky Executive) do seem to be adequate for most EDC uses. Or, in the hands of a fighter pilot, E&E or long distance trekking.
If only the ambassador had the new style Executive file.  :dd:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: September 01, 2017, 07:48:06 PM
If only the ambassador had the new style Executive file.  :dd:

Yes!

I suspect that the Exec file's length would necessitate a thicker frame for the Ambassador. What diplomat wants a fat knife in his or her pocket? 

The superior nail file could win me over, despite the additional weight.

us Offline getahl

Reply #75 on: September 01, 2017, 08:31:25 PM

It's the Sd tip. The Ambassador is fine. Just, considering the abuse I put my Classics through,  cost is also a factor. I can buy five for 15 bucks in fleabay.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #76 on: September 01, 2017, 08:41:42 PM
It's the Sd tip. The Ambassador is fine. Just, considering the abuse I put my Classics through,  cost is also a factor. I can buy five for 15 bucks in fleabay.
I want to know what kind of abuse you put your Classics through. For me, the Classic has always been a light use tool, mainly used for personal grooming and cutting loose ends of thead off clothes. I own several but have never worn one out. What are you doing with yours?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: September 01, 2017, 08:42:36 PM

Word.   :cheers:

us Offline getahl

Reply #78 on: September 01, 2017, 08:48:16 PM
I want to know what kind of abuse you put your Classics through. For me, the Classic has always been a light use tool, mainly used for personal grooming and cutting loose ends of thead off clothes. I own several but have never worn one out. What are you doing with yours?

It's usually the first screwdriver I reach for. Bent a couple. I carry them loose in pocket,  lost one or two. Gifted a couple. They're cheap to replace, easily found just about anywhere,  snuck one into a couple amusement parks. I just like then better.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #79 on: September 02, 2017, 08:27:07 PM
I just used the end of the nail file on my Executive to unravel a paranoid lanyard. It worked great for that.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: September 02, 2017, 08:38:14 PM
I just used the end of the nail file on my Executive to unravel a paranoid lanyard. It worked great for that.

Very cool. I would have ended up spending the big bucks to send it to a psychiatrist.  :pok:

(Or used a corkscrew!)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:39:45 PM by Nix »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #81 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:37 PM

Very cool. I would have ended up spending the big bucks to send it to a psychiatrist.  :pok:

(Or used a corkscrew!)
You are cruel. I would not have tried the corkscrew, imagine badly screwed the poor paracord would have been afterwards.  :twak:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: September 02, 2017, 10:21:00 PM
Oh, like a psychiatrist wouldn't have screwed the poor lanyard up even more???   :whistle:

Psychatrist: So tell me, what are your earliest memories as a fiber waiting to be spun?
Lanyard: Why do you awlways ask me about that? What are you doing with that SAK? Did you know your Traveler is sending me secret messages?

Nah, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, and a good corkscrewing is the only answer. There's a reason it's known as the "Multiknot Release Tool".

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #83 on: September 02, 2017, 10:26:05 PM
Have you guys checked out Maslow's hierarchy of needs?

Can never forget that second layer on the pyramid...
maslow-2.jpg
* maslow-2.jpg (Filesize: 49.78 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: September 02, 2017, 10:48:55 PM
Exactly, we don't need no stinkin' psychiatrists, we got SAK's! With corkscrews!  :drink:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: September 02, 2017, 11:03:00 PM

It's usually the first screwdriver I reach for. Bent a couple. I carry them loose in pocket,  lost one or two. Gifted a couple. They're cheap to replace, easily found just about anywhere,  snuck one into a couple amusement parks. I just like then better.

With these couple of little friends in my wallet, combined with my classic, I can do anything. Maybe even conquer the world. The world I say!!!! (insane cackling heard)

:D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:04:26 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #86 on: September 02, 2017, 11:16:25 PM
With these couple of little friends in my wallet, combined with my classic, I can do anything. Maybe even conquer the world. The world I say!!!! (insane cackling heard)

What will you do with all that power? I pray you use it wisely.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: September 03, 2017, 12:17:57 AM
I've thought about this for some time.

-The main difference for the Ambassador and the Classic is price. It's 2.5x more expensive than the classic for the same capability. Which leads to

-Accessibility, you can find a classic anywhere. The Ambassador is hard to find outside of eBay, which alot of people still don't like to use.

-The Executive is more accessible than the Ambassador. And for about the same price you get more bang for your buck.

-The Executive has some redundancy but nowhere near the amount as the Minichamp. I was skeptical as well but I have used every tool on my Executive one way or another.

-For about the same price, size, and weight you can get the something that's mostly better in every way with the Executive.

-Also note, I would love to have an Ambassador. But not at $25, especially with the classic being had at less than 10  At $15 it's a winner.

-I like the 74mm over the 58mm. I have big hands. I have had a classic, signature, and rambler. I have also had both an Executive and Ambassador. The 74's are just really comfortable to use.

-Lastly, I do understand your point. Why have more than you need, it's unnecessary? But realistically how many of us have one, two, or ten knives/multi tools? It's about enjoyment at the end of day. If you enjoy and love your Ambassador go for it. How you feel about the Executive, I feel about the Minichamp. (I'd take a Rambler any day) but anyone outside of the hobby would see my entire collection as useless, redundant, and unnecessary :rofl:

Btw I'm glad to see healthy conversation over differences. I've been getting into the watch world. The snobbery and disrespect is way over the top. So :hatsoff: to MTO for maintaining class
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: September 03, 2017, 12:25:21 AM

What will you do with all that power? I pray you use it wisely.

I would gather all the mad scientists under my wing, and have them create a Victorinox executive with a combo tool instead of that silly orange peeler, and a nail file like on the SD classic! And the handle scales would be made out of modern resin polymer impervious to bug repellents and all gun solvents.

So I have spoken, let it be done!

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #89 on: September 03, 2017, 12:33:49 AM

The "why" for me is lack of an SD tip on the file.  If it had the SD tip I'd prefer it to the Classic.  I know I could modify the tip but I'm not going to buy a tool and then have to modify it to make it what it should have been to begin with.

If you're referring to Chuck Yeager, in the article The Knife I Carry he says he uses his Executive for fingernail maintenance and picking his teeth.   :facepalm:  Not sure why being well-manicured would be terribly important on a backpacking trip but there it is.   :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:44:39 AM by Okie Shyster »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD