Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Compact Problem

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
A Compact Problem
on: August 31, 2017, 05:23:40 AM
I have a SAK related issue. I got a Compact, and it is disrupting my EDC philosophy. For the longest time I had been happy with a Cadet or Pioneer. Then I discovered just how useful the scissors can be and started carrying my Pioneer X. But that three layer alox knife is heavy for pocket carry, so I got myself a Compact. In theory the Compact has everything I care about (knife, scissors, file). But it doesn't have a full opener layer. Just earlier today the can opener tip on my Pioneer fit inside a torx bit (A freaking torx!  :ahhh) to tighten the mounting bracket that had come loose on my rear view mirror! Can't do that smurf with a smurfing combo tool!

But I digress, here is my problem. I love alox in my pocket, Cadet or Pioneer or anything. I just like the feel of it and the snap of the tools. I also like having light weight pockets. And I like the tools on the Compact (yummy 91mm scissors). I can get scissors by pairing my Manager with my Pioneer, but at that point the setup is so much heavier than a simple Compact!

Btw, I do like celidor as well, but mainly for the big tools. I wouldn't have my CT41 any other way, it is perfect with its plastic scales. But in the pocket, I want alox! Darn Compact why do you have to be so sexy!  :drool:

Thank you for reading my silly SAK rant. :drink:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:34:33 AM by GoatDragon »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: A Compact Problem
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:46:31 AM
The Compact is fantastic to be sure. Fantastic in it's thin profile and light weight while providing scissors (and hook).
But man can not live by celidor alone. Why not pair that Compact with an Alox Rambler or Classic?

Oddly enough, I was just today wondering if a Torx bolt could be tightened with the small driver.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:50:51 AM
The Compact is fantastic to be sure. Fantastic in it's thin profile and light weight while providing scissors (and hook).
But man can not live by celidor alone. Why not pair that Compact with an Alox Rambler or Classic?

Oddly enough, I was just today wondering if a Torx bolt could be tightened with the small driver.

Why bother pairing the Compact with anything though? That's the beauty of it. It already has the t&t, the pen, the scissors and the file. There is nothing that a Classic brings to the table that the Compact doesn't already have.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:08:09 AM

Why bother pairing the Compact with anything though? That's the beauty of it. It already has the t&t, the pen, the scissors and the file. There is nothing that a Classic brings to the table that the Compact doesn't already have.
I see your point,  but find the 91mm scissors are a little aggressive for fingernail duty.  I tend to take too much off and draw blood. They are great fit beard trimming,  though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 06:11:26 AM
This doesn't sound like a Compact problem, it sounds like a GoatDragon problem. The Compact is awesome and trumps alox, but GoatDragon is struggling to accept it.  :D

Solution: Carry the Compact alone for at least two weeks, and see what the experiential difference is to what you're used to. The result could go either way, but you won't know till you give it a fair chance. Maybe you'll be a convert, or maybe you'll go back to an alox plus keyring scenario. It doesn't matter either way, but give the Compact plenty of space to show how it will work for you (how it works for anyone else is irrelevant)  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:15:01 AM
This doesn't sound like a Compact problem, it sounds like a GoatDragon problem. The Compact is awesome and trumps alox, but GoatDragon is struggling to accept it.  :D

Solution: Carry the Compact alone for at least two weeks, and see what the experiential difference is to what you're used to. The result could go either way, but you won't know till you give it a fair chance. Maybe you'll be a convert, or maybe you'll go back to an alox plus keyring scenario. It doesn't matter either way, but give the Compact plenty of space to show how it will work for you (how it works for anyone else is irrelevant)  :cheers:
See while you can't stand the feel of alox handles, I am over here fondling the my alox every chance I get. I love the feel of it! I had the Compact in my pocket all day yesterday but I went back to my Pioneer today because I was already feeling withdrawals. And then the Pioneer saved the day tightening my rear view mirror, as if to tell me it missed me.  :dd:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:16:44 AM by GoatDragon »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:27:09 AM
So tool functionality is a lesser priority than your tactile fetishes?  :rofl:

Good luck picking bacon out of your teeth, removing splinters or hadling small parts, writing an important note, fixing someone's spec's, or adjusting a misaligned windscreen washer with the alox. Who knows, the corkscrew, nail file, and hook might prove an important addition too  :D

Seriously, go with whatever works best for you with no regrets  :salute:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:08 AM
It's more about weight than toolset. After all, Pioneer+Manager has more useful tools than just a Compact. But the Compact weighs less.

And it's not just a tactile fetish lol. I enjoy having something nice for my main edc blade. And to me, alox is just nicer than celidor.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:57:52 AM by GoatDragon »

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 07:01:30 AM
I think the combo tool is a work of art. So much functionality in such a small little tool and it does work well on a variety of screws. Would it have tightened that torx screw? Quite possibly. I've been surprised at the variety of fasteners I've been able to loosen or tigthen with it. My only problem with the combo tool is that it is very light duty. I often use the regular cap lifter on a SAK as a pry tool. The combo tool is very limited in this respect. After I learned to mod I made a Scientist and carried it regularly for several months. When tasked with helping my friend take apart a swingset for his child, I bent the combo tool trying to take out some flat head screws; it just couldn't handle the torque.

The only SAK I currently carry with the combo tool is a Waiter as it fits well with a minimalist carry where very little physical work or repairs is expected, which is what my life has been like for the last several months.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 07:07:49 AM
 :whistle:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 08:15:12 AM
:whistle:
I have seen enough of your videos to know you can relate to my predicament. This is a very serious problem! :D

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 08:19:36 AM
This stuff is my bag  :rant:  :rofl:

One of my favorite pastimes is talking in circles about Swiss Army knives.truly
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 08:24:21 AM
The Compact is a class of it's own. Just like Alox is...

Who not buy some +B titanium scales and put them on your Compact :dd:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:05 AM

Oh smurf that is a good idea! I just looked em up and they even have the plus scale slot for the pen.

Does anyone know if they have the straight pin slot? I can't make that out from the product pictures.
Edit: Found another product pic that does indeed show they do have the straight pin slot!

I found a thread talking about the brass scales, but not much discussion on the titanium ones.
If anyone was curious. 

The copper scales weight 67gm and the regulars are 10gm.

This is according to the Bay seller I messaged.  So roughly 2oz.

I'm still very tempted :)

Does anyone know how much the titanium scales weigh?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:40:50 AM by GoatDragon »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 08:42:23 AM
No idea.
Just saw them a while back and drooled all over them. :D

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 08:44:27 AM
I know titanium is a lighter metal than copper, but those copper ones look really heavy. And that would defeat the purpose of carrying the Compact in the first place!  :ahhh

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 08:45:49 AM
I know titanium is a lighter metal than copper, but those copper ones look really heavy. And that would defeat the purpose of carrying the Compact in the first place!  :ahhh

Weight starts at 2min.

3.2 ounces :salute"

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:21 AM
Show content

Weight starts at 2min.

Sakwiki says the Tinker (poor dude can't tell a tinker from a compact) weighs 60.5g (2.1oz). So that is a 1.1 oz (31g) addition in weight from the ti scales.

31 grams is exactly the weight of the manager!!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:59:12 AM by GoatDragon »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 09:43:20 AM
Show content

Weight starts at 2min.

Sakwiki says the Tinker (poor dude can't tell a tinker from a compact) weighs 60.5g (2.1oz). So that is a 1.1 oz (31g) addition in weight from the ti scales.

So we have a winner?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 09:53:35 AM
Show content

Weight starts at 2min.

So we have a winner?

Nope. If the Compact with titanium scales weights as much as a regular compact and a manager, then it also weighs nearly as much as a pioneer and a manager. So the reigning champs pioneer+manager are still the winners.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 11:42:29 AM
I have a SAK related issue. I got a Compact, and it is disrupting my EDC philosophy. For the longest time I had been happy with a Cadet or Pioneer. Then I discovered just how useful the scissors can be and started carrying my Pioneer X. But that three layer alox knife is heavy for pocket carry, so I got myself a Compact. In theory the Compact has everything I care about (knife, scissors, file). But it doesn't have a full opener layer. Just earlier today the can opener tip on my Pioneer fit inside a torx bit (A freaking torx!  :ahhh) to tighten the mounting bracket that had come loose on my rear view mirror! Can't do that smurf with a smurfing combo tool!

(Image removed from quote.)

But I digress, here is my problem. I love alox in my pocket, Cadet or Pioneer or anything. I just like the feel of it and the snap of the tools. I also like having light weight pockets. And I like the tools on the Compact (yummy 91mm scissors). I can get scissors by pairing my Manager with my Pioneer, but at that point the setup is so much heavier than a simple Compact!

Btw, I do like celidor as well, but mainly for the big tools. I wouldn't have my CT41 any other way, it is perfect with its plastic scales. But in the pocket, I want alox! Darn Compact why do you have to be so sexy!  :drool:

Thank you for reading my silly SAK rant. :drink:

Yeah, you can. Use the tip of the combo tool, at 45º. You just need a little skill a some patience.
 :pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 04:49:49 PM
GoatDragon, 

My point is that if you carry the Alox Rambler along with your Compact, you get the feel of Alox in one and the versatility of the Compact with the other. Added utility? Marginal at best, the Rambler does have a couple of smaller drivers, an easier to use file, and I'm repeatedly told that having a second blade is a good idea. Actually that little Rambler/Classic blade can be useful for some small tasks where a huge 91mm blade might be awkward.

Like you, I really like the feel of an Alox handle. So I routinely pair an Alox with a Celidor. A Classic with a Soldier, or an Alox Rambler with a Hiker/Camper/Spartan/Tinker. I get the best of both worlds and a wee bit more versatility.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 06:19:24 PM

When carrying the compact I miss the openers, the scales don't bother me.    Anyway, with a Manager on the keyring,  I'll carry pretty much anything....  The alox rambler would be a cool addition to carry with the Compact.

But with the Ramber/Manager any 84 or 91mm alox is adequately supported.    I usually reach for the SwissLite or Midnite Manager when carrying the Compact to add a small light to the tool box.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:22:19 PM by El Corkscrew »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 06:23:43 PM
Anyway, with a Manager on the keyring,  I'll carry pretty much anything.

I think that's called a SAK slut.  :pok:
Takes one to know one.  ;)  :whistle:   :cheers:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 09:58:57 PM
I  think you need to go Titanium and get Syph to build you a Compact with scales you really honestly desire. Maybe change the much abused combo tool for the can opener. That's a solution I'd get behind !
 >:D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:00:24 PM by Fast Bill »
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Frailer

Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 03:06:59 AM
Can't do that smurf with a smurfing combo tool!

How do you know?

Did you try? :D

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 03:39:37 AM
Can't do that smurf with a smurfing combo tool!
Yeah, you can. Use the tip of the combo tool, at 45º. You just need a little skill a some patience.
 :pok: :pok:
I think the combo tool is a work of art. So much functionality in such a small little tool and it does work well on a variety of screws. Would it have tightened that torx screw? Quite possibly. I've been surprised at the variety of fasteners I've been able to loosen or tigthen with it.
How do you know?

Did you try? :D

Everyone wanted me to try the combo tool on that torx screw, so I just did. It didn't work, not straight on, not at a 45º angle, not at any angle. There is no part of the combo tool that is the right shape to fit inside this screw. I know it can work on phillips, that's easy, but torx is a whole different beast. That's why I was so impressed when my Pioneer could do it.

I was also wondering what size torx the bit was so I grabbed my leatherman bit kit and checked. It's a T15. SAK can opener can turn size 15 torx, confirmed. (At least the beefy 93mm can opener. It is too hot outside for me to go out and test the slightly smaller 91mm and 84mm can openers right now too.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:48:16 AM by GoatDragon »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 01:17:24 PM
That's why i don't like the combo tool at all, it's not a capable or sturdy enough driver / pry bar for me. And for me that's more important than having full sized (91mm) scissors on me. I can carry any Sak in the 84/91/93 line with no problem if it has at least the following tools: the blade, the can opener and the bottle opener, and if it has the awl even better but not crucial, everything else is just a bonus really...  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:48 PM
I don't mind the combo tool. I can't recall ever prying with the caplifter. I carryied a dedicated pry tool on my keyring for over a year. Never used it, not once. I don't recall ever using it as a driver on anything that would give enough resistance to twist a combo tool either.

For me the biggest quandary is the awl dilemma. With the combo tool, you lose the awl on the opener layer. Is you use an awl instead of a small blade or combo tool, you need the opener layer which gives you a second awl  :ahhh :ahhh

The nearest thing to the awl on the Compact and DofE is the fixed arm of the scissors, which can suffice in certain circumstances.

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 02:31:34 PM
Yep, I miss the awl on a Compact too as I have much more use for an awl than for the hook  :-\
Nevertheless during the last weeks Compact is my most used EDC from Victorinox.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:45:38 PM by Peter1960 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD