Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Rusty SAK

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
The Rusty SAK
on: September 01, 2017, 08:52:45 PM
I have never seen a SAK, either in person or in pictures, with even a speck of rust on it (not counting the old models before they switched to stainless steel, of course).

So I have a challenge for you guys, with your massive collections. Show me a picture of a rusty stainless steel SAK. It doesn't matter how it got rusty, maybe it was left in a pool of acid for 50 years, I don't know. I just want to see if such a thing exists!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:55:56 PM by GoatDragon »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: The Rusty SAK
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:55:35 PM
Never seen rust on a SAK either,  :cheers:  :like: except on the file, which is not stainless, in a pic, which I've forgotten the location of.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:08:57 PM

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:19:19 PM
So about a week in things were looking ugly for sea water blade:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Rusty SAK stainless is indeed possible.

...Darn, I was hoping this was an impossible challenge, and it was solved in less than 20 minutes. :doh: :viking:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:24:54 PM by GoatDragon »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:25:49 PM
Not long ago, I posted pics of a Spirit with rust patches.

It's stainLESS not stainPROOF  :pok: :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:58 PM
It's stainLESS not stainPROOF  :pok: :P
Yeah, I know lol. I had seen other stainless tools with rust on them (coughleathermancough), but never a SAK. I was starting to honestly believe that Victorinox steel was somehow magically impervious to rust. Hence this challenge thread!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:32:02 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

...Darn, I was hoping this was an impossible challenge, and it was solved in less than 20 minutes. :doh: :viking:
Just read it. That rust came off easily.  :D
Even better is the "fresh water blade" not rusting much except at the pivot point, when left at the beach for WEEKS!

I get the impression that the fresh water blade was the more modern one?  :think:
And it stood up more than impressively to the salt water at the beach.
I still think that it's magical.  :D

All hail the hook!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:56:14 PM

Even better is the "fresh water blade" not rusting much except at the pivot point, when left at the beach for WEEKS! (Image removed from quote.)

I get the impression that the fresh water blade was the more modern one?  :think:
Well I'll be darned you're right. Just finished reading that thread and those blades did hold up incredibly well! Perhaps not 100% rust proof, but stunningly rust resistant. The fact that there was any blade left at all after a month swimming in tidepools is a testament to Vic stainless.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:00:18 PM

Even better is the "fresh water blade" not rusting much except at the pivot point, when left at the beach for WEEKS! (Image removed from quote.)

Well I'll be darned you're right. Just finished reading that thread and those blades did hold up incredibly well! Perhaps not 100% rust proof, but stunningly rust resistant. The fact that there was any blade left at all after a month swimming in tidepools is a testament to Vic stainless.
That!  :like: :like:
And the fact the on the more modern(?) blade, the one that was in fresh water initially, I love how the only spot permanently affected by rust was the pivot point. The surface rust elsewhere seemed to come off soo easily.  :o

All hail the hook!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 10:05:40 PM
I never did until I got my GAK, used from Germany.  My primitive photographic means won't permit me to get a photo because of the small size of the rest specks, but it's actually on the liner lock, saw, and straight screwdriver.  I have no idea how anyone could accomplish a feat like this but it's the only SAK I've ever seen it on.
Barry

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 10:10:08 PM
I never did until I got my GAK, used from Germany.  My primitive photographic means won't permit me to get a photo because of the small size of the rest specks, but it's actually on the liner lock, saw, and straight screwdriver.  I have no idea how anyone could accomplish a feat like this but it's the only SAK I've ever seen it on.
Is that a GAK made by Victorinox (or Wenger) in Switzerland? Or a GAK made by a German company? Because if it's the latter that doesn't count.  :pok:

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 11:17:07 PM
Seen a number of SAK files with rust on them (old Fisherman).

IMG_8892.JPG
* IMG_8892.JPG (Filesize: 62.24 KB)

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 11:26:49 PM
Earlier in this thread Pablo mentioned the file isn't stainless.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 11:32:20 PM

Going blind in my old age.   :oops:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 12:41:50 AM

Going blind in my old age.   :oops:
It's a generally a given that metal files of all kinds will rust.  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 12:50:19 AM
Alright, new challenge for you guys!

Who has a SAK that has not been deliberately scienced to make it rust, yet is still showing even the tiniest speck of rust on any stainless tool.

Even after that awesome rust test thread, I have still never ever seen a SAK with rust on it that wasn't deliberatly put there with extreme measures.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 04:48:16 AM

Yep, even the little file on old backside phillips.  I can get every other part of the knife looking pretty cherry except the file.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 05:27:55 AM
I have never seen a SAK, either in person or in pictures, with even a speck of rust on it (not counting the old models before they switched to stainless steel, of course).

So I have a challenge for you guys, with your massive collections. Show me a picture of a rusty stainless steel SAK. It doesn't matter how it got rusty, maybe it was left in a pool of acid for 50 years, I don't know. I just want to see if such a thing exists!
Carried in a pocket since I was a teenager. The blades show no rust. The corkscrew has light surface rust inside the coil(tried cleaning with soap water), but to its defence,  the corkscrew  has never been used. HOWEVER, the liners are severely corroded to the point the metal has begun to start weakening and cracking. I removed the scale to show how bad it is. BUT, as it stands, the SAK still functions and will be carried until it breaks.
I pictured where the metal is the worst.
This was not an intentional experiment. I have carried this particular knife for over a decade. I assume salty sweat from my leg was mostly responsible. This knife is sentimental, so I hope the corrosion doesn't cause the thing to break.
I have seen this kind of corrosion on SAKs before, but it was only on the frame and liners.
Low carbon content in SAK steel makes them almost rust proof, but makes the steel a little softer. Makes them easy to sharpen and polish though. :)
Please note: I work on antique furniture and spend a lot of time outside during the summer. That means hours of sweat everyday for months on end for years. Normal indoor work environments probably won't cause this kind of damage.
My other SAKs are shelf queens and won't ever see corrosion. :climber:
20170901_220810-1.jpeg
* 20170901_220810-1.jpeg (Filesize: 109.64 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 05:40:15 AM
No, a 111mm Vic.  I've carried Vic's for almost 40 years and never saw rust until this one.  Not a bad case, but rust nonetheless.
Is that a GAK made by Victorinox (or Wenger) in Switzerland? Or a GAK made by a German company? Because if it's the latter that doesn't count.  :pok:
Barry

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 06:15:39 AM
The latest version of the file is stainless steel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 06:32:04 AM

I stand corrected.  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 06:33:19 AM

Carried in a pocket since I was a teenager. The blades show no rust. The corkscrew has light surface rust inside the coil(tried cleaning with soap water), but to its defence,  the corkscrew  has never been used. HOWEVER, the liners are severely corroded to the point the metal has begun to start weakening and cracking. I removed the scale to show how bad it is. BUT, as it stands, the SAK still functions and will be carried until it breaks.
I pictured where the metal is the worst.
This was not an intentional experiment. I have carried this particular knife for over a decade. I assume salty sweat from my leg was mostly responsible. This knife is sentimental, so I hope the corrosion doesn't cause the thing to break.
I have seen this kind of corrosion on SAKs before, but it was only on the frame and liners.
Low carbon content in SAK steel makes them almost rust proof, but makes the steel a little softer. Makes them easy to sharpen and polish though. :)
Please note: I work on antique furniture and spend a lot of time outside during the summer. That means hours of sweat everyday for months on end for years. Normal indoor work environments probably won't cause this kind of damage.
My other SAKs are shelf queens and won't ever see corrosion. :climber:
Strange how the aluminium liners corrode, huh?  :-\

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 08:46:03 AM

I stand corrected.  :cheers:
Even then it'll appear as if the file rusts as there will be metal particles stuck in the file after filing down some carbon holding steel.

So basicaly the file doesn't rust, but the particles caught inside will.

00 Offline jnoxyd

The Rusty SAK
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 01:23:11 PM
You can see rust very often on these knives: some Victorinox knives  from middle 1970 (rust spots)

and some blue Fishermans with out gassing scales
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:01:52 PM by JNOXID »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 01:49:16 PM
Quote from: Pablo O'Brien
Strange how the aluminium liners corrode, huh?  :-\
A chain is only as strong as its' weakest link. It is not rust, I know that(and did not claim it was rust, except for the rust inside the cork screw), but liner/frame corrosion is a major factor in the performance of a knife. The SAK I pictured has been significantly compromised by the aluminum corrosion. I felt it important to convey my experience so people can take steps to prevent this from happening to the SAKs they carry day to day. In hindsight, I would have kept a coat of oil on mine from day one, but I did not know much about knife maintenance until I was in my early 20s.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 02:12:59 PM

Salt will make stainless rust. We were trained to be diligent about washing and oiling our SCUBA dive knives because of this.
I've also seen stainless steel rust from being soaked in a sink overnight with Dawn dish soap. I'm not sure if it was something in the Dawn or the chemistry of the tap water, but I've seen it more than once.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 02:30:53 PM
You can see rust very often on these knives: some Victorinox knives  from middle 1970 (rust spots)
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
and some blue Fishermans with out gassing scales
There's evidence that newer SAKs are more rust resistant, isn't there?  :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 03:20:02 PM
I've come across some rusty ones at the fleamarket.  I can only imagine neglect as the reason for such condition.  Here is one I found a while ago.  This is about what I typically see.  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46916.90.html#att88485
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 07:58:52 PM
I have some small rust spots on my Craftsman file. Dat 'splains it!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 09:23:19 PM
I sure wouldnt enjoy SAKs near as much if stainless steel wasnt invented.  Its not perfect but you sure have to try hard to get some rust.  You can get a faster reaction if the blade it touching some non stainless steel too.  I do this by accident alot when leaving SAK parts on my old vice.  It gets wet alot and if the SAK part is sitting on that old vice in the bare steel area and is also wet, it will show rust the next day.  Very shallow rust though and easy to remove, but it does happen.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87