Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Juice Spring Advice

us Offline NetsNJ

Leatherman Juice Spring Advice
on: April 22, 2020, 01:18:24 PM
So I have two Juices, both with broken backsprings.  There is a CS4 with a missing spring on the saw (the flat spring), and a KF4 with a missing spring on one of the flat drivers (the curved spring).  Leatherman is unsure if they can repair the KF4, or at least won't commit to it.

I would love to donate a curved spring from the CS4 to the much rarer KF4, making it complete.  Is there a way to do this swap without disassembling either tool?

I wanted to consult the collective wisdom of MTO before I start prying on stuff.   :rofl:

Thank you.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Juice Spring Advice
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 03:28:03 PM
So I have two Juices, both with broken backsprings.  There is a CS4 with a missing spring on the saw (the flat spring), and a KF4 with a missing spring on one of the flat drivers (the curved spring).  Leatherman is unsure if they can repair the KF4, or at least won't commit to it.

I would love to donate a curved spring from the CS4 to the much rarer KF4, making it complete.  Is there a way to do this swap without disassembling either tool?

I wanted to consult the collective wisdom of MTO before I start prying on stuff.   :rofl:

Thank you.

Hey there! Sorry I didnt realise it you that sent the email...  :D :D
I had posted up a video on that original thread. Hope that helps!!

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,78812.msg2116105.html#new

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 05:48:06 PM
Thanks Sam, and I'm a dummy, I messaged without scrolling all the way through that thread.  Doh!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 05:59:34 PM
Thanks Sam, and I'm a dummy, I messaged without scrolling all the way through that thread.  Doh!

I only posted that video after you had sent me the email. Hope that helps!  :tu:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
I did it!  Using only another multitool and a paper clip!  Thank you Sam for the inspiration.

I used that paper clip tool and the pliers to push the spring down, and actually pivoted the driver on that spring backwards (hyperextended), and the spring popped out easily.  It popped out so easily that I was sure that I had snapped it!  There was a little finesse in getting the paperclip in the right spot to push down on the spring when I applied the pliers.  Anyways, the KF4 is back in fighting shape, after a thorough clearning and oiling the walk and talk is excellent, but scales do have some character.  Definitely for the collection, not to be used.  The only question now is do I harvest *all* of the CS4 springs and stockpile them?

For reference, this was the Cheap-and-Cheerful Chinese tool I used for both pushing the spring out of the CS4 and hammering (really pushing) the spring into the KF4.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 06:30:52 PM
I did it!  Using only another multitool and a paper clip!  Thank you Sam for the inspiration.

I used that paper clip tool and the pliers to push the spring down, and actually pivoted the driver on that spring backwards (hyperextended), and the spring popped out easily.  It popped out so easily that I was sure that I had snapped it!  There was a little finesse in getting the paperclip in the right spot to push down on the spring when I applied the pliers.  Anyways, the KF4 is back in fighting shape, after a thorough clearning and oiling the walk and talk is excellent, but scales do have some character.  Definitely for the collection, not to be used.  The only question now is do I harvest *all* of the CS4 springs and stockpile them?

For reference, this was the Cheap-and-Cheerful Chinese tool I used for both pushing the spring out of the CS4 and hammering (really pushing) the spring into the KF4.

:like: Feels good doesn't it. To be able to self repair these stuff. Great save in the KF4!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%