Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Morakniv for food prep

00 Offline fivesense

Best Morakniv for food prep
on: October 08, 2017, 07:38:57 PM
Ok- another Mora "best" question: What are the "best" Moras for basic food prep in the kitchen (non-kitchen specific)? I realize just about any Mora will work and I have a bunch. I want a stainless straight and one with a serrated edge. I'm currently looking at the Craftline Pro S Allround (straight) and the Craftline Rope Trade (serrated). The straight-edged Mora will get most of the work but I like serrated for bread and other such tasks.

How does the Craftline Basic 546 in stainless compare to the Craftline Pro S? I see only about a $2 USD difference- does it matter much?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:41:00 PM by fivesense »
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

00 Offline fivesense

Re: Best Morakniv for food prep
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 07:44:12 PM
Upon reflection, Kansbol/Mora 2000 would probably be great options. Razor sharp for cutting meat. More expensive than the abovementioned, but also more versatile (even if I plan to keep these in the kitchen).
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:46:37 PM
This might upset some folks, but my answer would be none. I appreciate these knives have a long history, and are excellent tools for other tasks, but I don't think they are that great for food prep. I prefer a thinner blade, and either a full flat grind or large wheel hollow grind. The Cold Steel Roach Belly and Boker TUF are two good examples of the blade styles I prefer on sheath knives for cooking (field or domestic)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:58:45 PM
I agree with Fiddy but if you are willing to do some reprofiling to the bevel they do perform much better, especially if the blade stock is on the thin side.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 10:10:45 PM
I find 'em to work ok, but if I had to choose a Mora specifically for food prep I'd go with something from their kitchen line. But those are expensive
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 10:29:59 PM
None of the above.

The Mora is a good utility knife. IT is popular with bushcrafters because Mors digs them as a student's knife. They are a good woods knife and they have a greate price. Can you do better? Yes. Will you spend more? Quickly. That does not automatically make it a good kitchen knife- all good woods knives make usable kitchen knives. I don't own a cleaver, but there is a 12" machete in my kitchen stuff- doesn't mean it's the best big kitchen knife, I had it, didn't like it for bush clearing, and it it went int he kitchen to deal with a murderous water melon before it could go on another spree. Never came out of the kitchen.

If you want kitchen knives, buy kitchen knives. Victorinox in your pocket, Victorninox in the kitchen if you don't want to spend a lot. You can get better, and for less, but they are carbon steel and need to have a profile put on them and sharpened. If you want low cost, ready to go out of the box kitchen knives, make them a Vic.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 12:24:00 AM
What they said.  The Scandi is not great with food.  Can it work? Yes but theres much better profiles for food.  Victorinox is a highly regarded kitchen knife.  See the video at 3:33 ish. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 03:32:55 AM
I've used my stainless  Bahco Carpenter  2444 (badge engineered Mora Clipper) for food prep, and it's done the job well.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 01:58:06 PM
You might have a look at the Mora Fishing knives ( filet knifes) .
Got one for a Trek with a Camper-Bus, to have a Do-it-all-Cheapo.
https://morakniv.se/en/product/fishing-comfort-fillet-090/
1,5mm blade thickness, flat grind (no scandi), a bit flexing. perfect for kitchen duties imho.
You still can grind that one to an even finer edge.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 06:42:53 PM
This might upset some folks, but my answer would be none. I appreciate these knives have a long history, and are excellent tools for other tasks, but I don't think they are that great for food prep. I prefer a thinner blade, and either a full flat grind or large wheel hollow grind. The Cold Steel Roach Belly and Boker TUF are two good examples of the blade styles I prefer on sheath knives for cooking (field or domestic)

the CS Roach Belly is definitely my favorite small fixed blade for kitchen duties and camp chores

as much as I love my Mora companions, they are better suited for the woods and the R.Belly just slices and cuts the fruit, meat, veggies and food with astounding ease

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 07:24:34 PM

the CS Roach Belly is definitely my favorite small fixed blade for kitchen duties and camp chores

(Image removed from quote.)

as much as I love my Mora companions, they are better suited for the woods and the R.Belly just slices and cuts the fruit, meat, veggies and food with astounding ease

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:

.... and here's a random stock image of the Boker+ TUF for comparison...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD