Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hands off my stick?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Hands off my stick?
on: October 23, 2008, 03:38:57 PM
I would say that when I drive in the city, in traffic, I often rest my hand on the shift knob, mostly because I will be shifting again momentarily.  When I am on a more open road, like a highway, I usually don't rest my hand on the stick.

What I am wondering is, is there really any truth to the story that you can potentially damage your transmission by riding with your hand on the stick?  Seems like if that was a real concern then someone would have addressed this problem by now.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Re: Hands off my stick?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 03:51:23 PM
Several of my friends, one of them is a mechanic, says that there is a risk butt it’s so minute that you don’t have to worry about it.

Hmmmmmm, maybe someone should send a mail too Adam & Jaime.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:20:46 PM
It depends on how much force you put on the shifter.  You can damage the gear synchronizers if your putting enough pressure on the shifter to ride against them.   At work, we occasionally see problems with 1st and 3rd gear, because people shift into them, then hang on to the shifter and relax their arm.  The pressure pulling back on the shifter causes the synchro's to engage, and eventually they can wear out making it very difficult (sometimes impossible) to shift into certain gears.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 05:14:39 PM
Is this a significant concern, or is it a silly "you shouldn't really do that" kind of problem like having other keys on your keychain hanging from the ignition?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 05:46:25 PM
It can be a significant concern, but only after a looooong period of time.  It could cause the synchros and linkage bushings to wear.  If the synchros go bad, you're looking at a rebuild.

Don't do it.  I used to do it, but didn't find it a hard habit to break.
- Terry

Offline Biru

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 06:19:06 PM
I also heard that besides this, you shouldn't ride with your foot resting on the clutch pedal as it affects clutch life.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 08:06:06 PM
Def,

I don't think it's a significant concern. I have a Ford Ranger I bought new in 1993, has over 130,000 miles on it and I do the same thing you do. I have not had a problem.

I knew someone who also stated that having anything more than a key on your keychain will damage your ignition switch because the weight would be a problem. Well, so far I haven't had a problem with that one either.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 08:29:49 PM

I knew someone who also stated that having anything more than a key on your keychain will damage your ignition switch because the weight would be a problem. Well, so far I haven't had a problem with that one either.

Mike

I've seen the results of that first hand, and I can tell you it does happen.  It doesn't happen with truck ignitions as often as with the weaker switches in cars though.

I also heard that besides this, you shouldn't ride with your foot resting on the clutch pedal as it affects clutch life.

The main concern there would be premature wear to the throwout bearing.  The clutch disc itself wouldn't be affected much, but a bad bearing would require replacement anyway.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 08:32:50 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 08:32:27 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Just be conscious of how much pressure your putting on the shifter.  I'd consider breaking the habit if you can though.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 12:19:45 AM
The ignition problem is actually pretty common.  I have heard of many occasions when that has happened.
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 12:19:30 AM
...So have one keychain with the ignition key, and another with your housekeys/other keys/misc "stuff"?...sounds like a hassle, but maybe I should look into it.

I don't have a pound of crap hanging off my keychain like some people, but a few things that add up..
[

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 12:24:23 AM
I just have all the important keys on a detaching fob. All the other junk stays on the carabiner when I need my keys.
Got those frog legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 01:19:08 PM
If I have two keychains, I'll lose one or the other so I have to keep them all together so my feeble mind can keep track.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 02:45:13 PM
...So have one keychain with the ignition key, and another with your housekeys/other keys/misc "stuff"?...sounds like a hassle, but maybe I should look into it.

I don't have a pound of crap hanging off my keychain like some people, but a few things that add up..

That's exactly what I do.  I find that the separate keychains actually fit into my pocket better also, since there's not so much stuff "binding up" together on one keychain.  The only accessory I put on my ignition key keychain is a fauxton.
- Terry

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 06:41:55 PM

That's exactly what I do.  I find that the separate keychains actually fit into my pocket better also, since there's not so much stuff "binding up" together on one keychain.  The only accessory I put on my ignition key keychain is a fauxton.

Same here. Okay no, I also have the security remote and key for locking gas cap, but I don't really have a choice since somebody stole my non-locking gas cap.  ::)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 06:52:49 PM

Same here. Okay no, I also have the security remote and key for locking gas cap, but I don't really have a choice since somebody stole my non-locking gas cap.  ::)

Did they syphon gas, or just steal the cap?

I'd like to get a locking gas cap but I'm afraid it might seize up or be otherwise broke in the locked position, and I woulden't be able to get it off. :P
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 07:28:25 PM
I don't think they siphoned any gas, just took the cap. From what I hear if it's stuck you just take a big screwdriver to it and pop the top portion off, then use plier to unscrew the bottom.  :D

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 02:26:11 AM
I don't think they siphoned any gas, just took the cap. From what I hear if it's stuck you just take a big screwdriver to it and pop the top portion off, then use plier to unscrew the bottom.  :D

Yeah, I've done a few that way and it usually works.   :D

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 02:08:04 PM
If I have two keychains, I'll lose one or the other so I have to keep them all together so my feeble mind can keep track.

Def

Just pierce both your nipples :o and you have a great place to keep your keys :P
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 03:29:59 PM
Not really- I have two cars, plus the key for my house and my work keys... I would run out of nipples!

Def

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 05:06:03 PM
Not really- I have two cars, plus the key for my house and my work keys... I would run out of nipples!

Def

I guess you'll just have to splice your genes with a cat. o_o
Got those frog legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 06:40:59 PM
Then I'd be itchy all the time since I'm allergic to cats...

Plus I'm sure I'd get in trouble doing this in public:

Def

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 11:44:13 PM

You must have seen my wife's keyring.  :D I don't know what the attraction is but I see alot of people with large keyring :o

I had to replace an ignition once for that reason as far as the stick I always rested my hand on the stick.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%