Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

True Love: Benchmade 710BKD2 McHenry-Williams Folder

Offline SteveRacer

• Mary had a little lamb. With mint jelly and mashed
True Love: Benchmade 710BKD2 McHenry-Williams Folder
on: October 27, 2008, 11:17:13 AM
Well, I did it.

Months of research.  Money Spent Lament.  Do I really need this?  Will it be any good?  Am I collector?  :ahhh

I considered fine blades like the Benchmade Presidio, Osbourne, Griptillian, the Alias Sebenza copy, and the SOG Flash II.  My tactical needs are, really, few and far between.  Although I work late night as a bartender in a dive biker bar, my usual target is a cardboard case of Twisted Tea or Heiniken Light.  :angel:

Deployment speed is pretty meaningless to me.  The pocket clip is coming off, and I already put a small slice in my pinky finger while practicing my ninja "axis-lock snap close" move.  That will be quite enough of that!

Every folder I've ever owned (maybe 15 total, excluding SAKs) has been in the $10-$40 range, with the exception of one Buck Titanium lockback ($75) which has taken up permanent residence in my field tool box.  I always wanted a really nice knife, but I also wanted a knife I was willing to use ... and a Sebenza or even the Alias was too much to pay for a knife I wasn't willing to unwrap from the plastic.  I wanted top-notch EDC, but I wanted some moola left over for a better [flamethrower LED] flashlight ... and I already shot a c-note on a LM Surge (also EDC).

I settled on the Benchmade 710BKD2.   The Griptillian was a close call.  A little too much "grip" in the scales; I like the sleek (but a bit slippery) scales on the 710.  I *really* liked the SOG Flash II, and was even going to get the aluminum handles.  Less than half the price of the 710.  But a little garish, a little too tactical, and SOG is too proud of their combo edge IMO.  You can't get the really cool handles with a plain edge.  Since I already have a Surge for serrated and sawing needs, yet another set of serrations seemed silly - and sacrificing a really good (LM: Not!) plain blade didn't make sense.

I don't like the plain blade in the LM Surge.  There, I said it.  (Review to follow.)  I concluded that I needed a simple, folding, very sharp, durable plain blade.  I think that's the number one item for EDC, even if it's part of a multitool.  But the form factor of a large MT kind of limits what you can do with the knife.  The monster Ranger Swiss thing was a consideration, but it wasn't enough of a MT.  So I was back to a nice seperate folder and a kitchen-sink MT, albiet with a limited main blade.

Not tactical, but hardly sheeple, I opted for a LARGE folder.  I have large [okay, fat] hands. Concealment is not an issue, deployment speed moot -- I'll be deleting the clip as I mentioned and buying a sheath - probably the dual big Benchmade, because it has the proper logo demonstrating my pride in my purchase (and I'm quite retentive) and it has a seperate pocket for another EDC.  (I don't need a rescue hook, so I'm thinking boxcutter to save my blade against the onslaught of enemy beer cartons).

So it's BIG, and I like that!

Now the black coating was a bit of comprimise.  The plain-edged versions are hard enough to find, let alone with the coating.  They were on interglactic backorder.  (Perhaps I hit upon a popular pick??)  I ended up spending a little more off eBay with WhiteMountain Knives -- $129 delivered USPS Priority to my door.  I had it in 2 days.

Am I going to be stalking for night ops?  No.  And I worry that the coating will get scratched.  So far, so good.  Seems tough.  It was just so darned nice looking, and the Benchmade and McHenry-Williams and D2 Logos stand out in some sort of silver etching.  Pretty, pretty, pretty.  So I gave in and bought the BK version even though the natural polished version was probably more prudent and fiscally responsible.

Axis-lockup is amazing.  Build quality is flawless.  My only complaint is the location of the thumstud(s), which are too close to the liner and scales to dig my fat thumb in and get a nice crisp "snap" deployment.  Maybe with practice.  And a mesh glove to protect my fingers from my own stupidity...

I'm a machinist, and I though about modifying the scales and liner a bit; perhaps a nice scallop under the thumstud area to make deployment a bit easier.  I know I can do this and make it pretty, but I'm not ready to start modding a $130 knife just yet.  Besides, lightning deployments, especially well-practiced, would be the first thing to raise eyebrows and scare the sheeple.

Another vanity was the D2 steel.  Although I justify this by telling myself it will hold up to cardboard better.  Downside is I have no idea if there any sharpening caveats or special techniques.  I don't like scary-sharp anyway (that's why I still have all of my pinky finger).  Blade sharpness was fine right out of the box.  Couldn't shave with it, but a heavy pull cut across the New York Post gave me a 48 page deep slit.  Not very scientific, but she's plenty sharp enough for the old man.  Boxes, beware.

Blade shape is useful and simple.  It's a bit thicker, but also should stand up to my abuse a bit more.  I couldn't find a fencepost:

The picture could not capture this pizza box's wanton screams of submission.  Folded, the knife just oozes good looks and quality.  Not flashy, but I'm very much a "function over form" kinda guy.  To me, the simplicity, engineering, blade design, size, and utility obviate the need for skeletonizing and cocobolo inlays and chrome valances.  This knife is Tuesday Weld sexy without being overt.  The scales are thin, the knife is thin, and the knife is VERY light considering its size -- but it gives up nothing is substance, rigidity, or operation.  It is, after all, a folder.  Despite my bravado, carrying a fixed blade is not a sheeple-friendly option for my EDC.

I'd like to think that McHenry and Williams thought of me when they designed this baby.  I'm in love.  :drool:

Understand that I'm not a knife guy.  Or at least I wasn't until ...  :ahhh

This wasn't meant to be a review (the cellphone pictures are major suckage; apologies in advance) but I just wanted to share my giddy intoxication with this purchase.  I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

:cheers:

best -

-steve

[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: True Love: Benchmade 710BKD2 McHenry-Williams Folder
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:27:38 PM
nice review, and I agree! :cheers:

I really like mine, but I'm sure you know you can "PoP" axis locks right?
you don't need to use the stud; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LuX8B-egrQ8&feature=related

best 710 (Small).jpg
* best 710 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 41.47 KB)

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:50:20 PM
Nice knife!

I look at knives like that and all I can think of is "I have bought cars for less than that..."

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:10:09 AM
Well, I did it.

Another vanity was the D2 steel.  Although I justify this by telling myself it will hold up to cardboard better.  Downside is I have no idea if there any sharpening caveats or special techniques.  I don't like scary-sharp anyway (that's why I still have all of my pinky finger).  Blade sharpness was fine right out of the box.  Couldn't shave with it, but a heavy pull cut across the New York Post gave me a 48 page deep slit.  Not very scientific, but she's plenty sharp enough for the old man.  Boxes, beware.

From my very little experience with kershaw's D2, it's no different from other steel in sharpening. The carbide in it is mostly iron carbide so actually softer than other steel with high vanadium/chromium.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 01:42:52 AM
Nice knife!

I look at knives like that and all I can think of is "I have bought cars for less than that..."

:D

Def

LOL it's true! but 90% of the knives I have are worth More now than when I got them
(some even 3X). I don't know the resale value of the 710 but I suspect it isn't bad ;)
I mainly have Busse clan.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:51:28 AM
It's always a good feeling when you research and research something for days or weeks then finally getting whatever it is and being really happy :cheers:

Looks like a serious knife..the Benchmade I have is 100% quality.
[

us Offline Splat

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:03:17 PM
From my very little experience with kershaw's D2, it's no different from other steel in sharpening. The carbide in it is mostly iron carbide so actually softer than other steel with high vanadium/chromium.

D2's a great steel... MOF they call it a "tool steel" because of its hardness. It's also because of that that it can be a PITA to sharpen if you let it go. I would give it a touch-up after some moderate usage and you'll be glad you did.
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD