Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

won't honor warranty.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: won't honor warranty.
Reply #60 on: September 29, 2017, 01:48:05 PM
That last email tone is what I have always received from LM. Amazon sellers are supposed to exchange defective items immediately.

Anyway, glad LM is standing behind their product for you like they have done for me.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #61 on: September 29, 2017, 01:52:18 PM
 also I only wiped down the tool with a dry rag.  The tool WAS completely black out of the box though.

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #62 on: September 29, 2017, 01:54:48 PM
 Yes you're right. I just wish I had gotten that response BEFORE the crappy short, unhelpful ones. But, all's well that ends well.  The Leatherman is on it's way back to net rush and I'll update with my new surge!

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #63 on: September 29, 2017, 02:02:41 PM
To clear a couple other comments I saw up here is my original email and Leatherman's only reply until the one I posted  after many attempts of emailing

To whom it may concern.

I just received my new surge today (9-26-17) that I had been waiting excitedly for. I bought it from Amazon.  I'm sad to say that upon receiving it, I found that 1. When the pliers are in use, once you close the pliers on something the handle on one side "gives up" and closes before the pliers head opens. This makes one hand operation of the pliers impossible. I need two hands, (one hand on each handle) to open the pliers.  2. (And not as importantly)  the inside the handle tools (can opener, exchangeable bit, flat head screwdrivers etc) are not tight in the handle and almost "fall" out of place.  Finally, 3. The end "caps" on the handles that have the security torx bits are loose.

I was extremely excited to finally have saved the money for a leatherman that I've wanted for some time. I'm hoping this is just a fluke and can be corrected.  I'm not concerned that leatherman won't make this right.  I'm curious if there is anywhere local to me I can take it for repair or exchange?  I'm in the metro Detroit area I'm Michigan.  I tried to send a video but it won't allow. But here is the actual tool I received today. Everything else was/ is in good working order. 

Thanks for any help in this matter,

Ryan Martin

Hello Ryan,

We are very sorry to hear about your disappointment with your tool.  Since it was purchased from Amazon (and not from us directly) and just received from them, we ask that you contact your Amazon dealer and have them exchange it for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind Regards,

Customer Service

Leatherman Tool Group

I wasn't upset with this email really either. I understood a chain of command.  I got upset when I couldn't contact the seller or get Leatherman to give me any additional information or contact me again until I posted the video link to them.  Until the video the only resolution i was able to get was a money refund from Amazon proper... and this still dosent address the state of the tool in the first place lol. But,  it's been sorted out finally and Leatherman is going to stand by their product... just took some.... work.

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #64 on: September 29, 2017, 02:11:49 PM
I do need to reply to Kaput....i didn't want my money back I wanted a correct tool I spent 100$ for.  I used zero solvents on the oxide.  As far as fixing it?  Yeah, I could go buy some bits and fix it.  Actually I could MAKE this tool from scratch. But I DECIDED to BUY one completed and I expected the craftsmanship to match the price. I don't want to finish somebody else's work. I don't want to act like a secretary and email and call around for two days to get what I paid for.  I don't knock anyone for have no problem fixing what somebody else couldn't bee concerned with doing right but that's not me.  I wasn't trying to get anything extra, only what I bought and expected. That's it. I wasn't rude to them. And I certainly don't appreciate someone assuming that I would lie about the black oxide (which I didn't care about even coming off or mention). Just because you have never had it come off in no way means that it can't. I don't mean to sound rude.  Leatherman has a warranty that they'll send you a great product. That's all I expect.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: September 29, 2017, 02:16:49 PM
Thanks for the full explanation   :tu:

That E-mail from Shelley should have been the first response from Leatherman. I hope you are happy with the replacement you get and can move past your initial disappointment with Leatherman   :cheers:

I hope you stick around here as well as this is a great forum.   :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #66 on: September 29, 2017, 02:30:46 PM
Thanks for the full explanation   :tu:

That E-mail from Shelley should have been the first response from Leatherman. I hope you are happy with the replacement you get and can move past your initial disappointment with Leatherman   :cheers:

I hope you stick around here as well as this is a great forum.   :salute:

+1

On all counts  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #67 on: September 29, 2017, 02:47:47 PM
I will be. This is a great forum.  I'll update with my new Surge when it arrives.  I'm happy that even though it took a lot of work Leatherman did finally send the email with information that makes sense and that makes me feel like they'll honor any warranty issues in the future.  Again thanks for all the comments and ideas. Even kuput's even though I disagreed.  I'll definitely enjoy your forum.  Thanks Ryan

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 03:58:52 PM
I should add something about the black oxide.  While it was no concern to me if it ALL came off here's some info from my years of applying it... cold and hot applications. Through my research of Leatherman's oxide covered tools the biggest complaint I've found is that it comes off for a period.  This is called "Smutting" and it shouldn't happen.  It's from improperly cleaned stainless prior to coating.  It's done much like chrome plating as its immersed in a hot alkali solution (it can be done cold but has less humidity resistance and corrosion concerns). It's then spun with oil, wax, or lacquer. Improper cleaning of the stainless parts prior to being put into the solution causes the oxide to come off irregularly.

I believe Leatherman uses this technique as a cosmetic one rather than functional. If the tool passed the "smut test " you wouldn't get oxide on you from handling. Because it would have been removed in the test.  One good benefit of oxide is the extra lubrication and anti galling effects it has.

Black oxide should only be removable with mechanical sanding or in a solution. I don't believe even acetone should be able to remove properly applied black oxide, but it would be evident in a pronounced smear and if mechanically removed sanding wear would be obvious and evident.

In short if the object you have black oxide coated is done properly the base metal (stainless in this case)  should be free of imperfections or residues and a stable base metal. The oxide should not be removable easily.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 04:20:43 PM
   Great to see you got it all sorted out! I pretty much only order from Amazon when I purchase anything from the internet, and I very rarely have problems. When I have to return an item, for any reason, I never contact the seller. I just submit a request for a refund, print the mailing label, and send it back. If I still want the item, I just order another one. I have never even been asked to pay for shipping to return any item I have purchased. 

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #70 on: September 29, 2017, 04:52:41 PM
I should add something about the black oxide.  While it was no concern to me if it ALL came off here's some info from my years of applying it... cold and hot applications. Through my research of Leatherman's oxide covered tools the biggest complaint I've found is that it comes off for a period.  This is called "Smutting" and it shouldn't happen.  It's from improperly cleaned stainless prior to coating.  It's done much like chrome plating as its immersed in a hot alkali solution (it can be done cold but has less humidity resistance and corrosion concerns). It's then spun with oil, wax, or lacquer. Improper cleaning of the stainless parts prior to being put into the solution causes the oxide to come off irregularly.

I believe Leatherman uses this technique as a cosmetic one rather than functional. If the tool passed the "smut test " you wouldn't get oxide on you from handling. Because it would have been removed in the test.  One good benefit of oxide is the extra lubrication and anti galling effects it has.

Black oxide should only be removable with mechanical sanding or in a solution. I don't believe even acetone should be able to remove properly applied black oxide, but it would be evident in a pronounced smear and if mechanically removed sanding wear would be obvious and evident.

In short if the object you have black oxide coated is done properly the base metal (stainless in this case)  should be free of imperfections or residues and a stable base metal. The oxide should not be removable easily.

You are correct about black oxide.  Its actually Fe3O4 magnetite which should not dissolve in acetone from what I can recall from chemistry.  I have some old BOd parts I dont need anymore so now I might go check to confirm.  It should take something acidic to dissolve it if properly done.  I know hydrochloric works as the place I used, uses it to clean off the BO.  I bet the surfaces weren't prepped well enough and the BO was just sitting on surface.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:54:22 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #71 on: September 29, 2017, 04:56:21 PM
Yeah that was the only option I had in the beginning.  Amazon had no questions.  Just said they'd refund.  I'm just glad i finally got it sorted to get the replacement tool and a reassurance from Leatherman. I mean honestly the only thing they really did wrong (besides the craftsmanship) was be vague then not answer any further emails.  But in the end they delivered... or are anyways.  Once I get my new tool I'll amend my video or take it down completely.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: September 29, 2017, 05:01:06 PM
What is most bothersome is letting a tool like that out the factory.  We've just had another member get hold of a dud.  I was never in doubt of LM honoring their warranty but.........  Are they relying on this great warranty and not better QC?

We've had several members have the BO come off of brand new tools.  I personally have not had this issue.  The larger issue is this inconsistency.  I just hope the tool you get is spot on in every way. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #73 on: September 29, 2017, 05:20:27 PM
Syph007  your chemistry is spot on.  I'd bet you the town you won't get the black oxide off with acetone or anything short of a hot acid dip.  Besides of course any spots that may be dirty base.  I'm not sure but I believe the oxide is a cosmetic for Leatherman as I have never seen them claim the benefits of hot oxide application in their details. And that's completely okay with me. The base is stainless.

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #74 on: September 29, 2017, 05:24:47 PM
I'm pretty sure they use "room temperature blacking " for their tools though. 

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #75 on: September 29, 2017, 05:27:16 PM
And and and I'd think to remove it, it should take distilled water bath,  to cold miratic acid bath,  to hot nitric with negative amperage.

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #76 on: October 05, 2017, 11:02:37 PM
I would like to update with net rushes great service on the back end now.  After sending the surge back last Thursday i just received an email that they didn't have the surge in stock, but that they will return my money and send me another Leatherman of my choosing with expedited shipping free of charge!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #77 on: October 06, 2017, 08:32:09 AM
I would like to update with net rushes great service on the back end now.  After sending the surge back last Thursday i just received an email that they didn't have the surge in stock, but that they will return my money and send me another Leatherman of my choosing with expedited shipping free of charge!
Good news, although you really do need a (good) Surge.  :pok:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #78 on: October 06, 2017, 08:38:11 AM
when you get a dud or defective item from amazon just request a return, I have sent many items back with no problems, sometimes you cant get a replacement if the item was a lightning deal from 3rd party seller, and only a refund is available.

Years ago I lucked upon a bunch of surges at walmart for $30 each. sold one to a guy at work who was a slob and must have dropped it in the ocean, and broke one of the tools. Kinda felt bad for him so I did the return process for him, cleaned out the rust and gunk, they sent a new one to me, soI'm guessing you got a rookie csr who handled or rather mishandled your case

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #79 on: October 07, 2017, 05:28:11 PM
Hi.  Names Ryan and I'm new here.  I joined after being excited to finally get my first new Leatherman Surge.  I had a gift card and ordered it from Amazon.  After the 2 day shipping wait i opened it with much excitement and anticipation.... it was short lived.  The inside the handle tools just flopped out, the end caps that are held in place with the security torx were loose, and the worst was one side of the handle doesn't "click" into place so when you close the pliers onto something once you try to open it the handle folds out before the pliers open. 

I wasn't too upset as one of the reasons i decided on leatherman was the 25yr warranty and the good reviews on said warranty. Unfortunately after emailing leatherman my response was "sorry you're disappointed in your purchase but since you bought this from Amazon and not leatherman directly you'll need contact the seller for any refund or replacement."

Buyer beware. No where was it stated that Amazon wasn't a authorized dealer or that it would null the warranty. Extremely unsatisfied. I can't even use it out of the box with the pliers issue.  Lesson learned.

No brainer- return to Amazon. This has nothing to do with Leatherman.
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: October 07, 2017, 11:24:14 PM
Hi.  Names Ryan and I'm new here.  I joined after being excited to finally get my first new Leatherman Surge.  I had a gift card and ordered it from Amazon.  After the 2 day shipping wait i opened it with much excitement and anticipation.... it was short lived.  The inside the handle tools just flopped out, the end caps that are held in place with the security torx were loose, and the worst was one side of the handle doesn't "click" into place so when you close the pliers onto something once you try to open it the handle folds out before the pliers open. 

I wasn't too upset as one of the reasons i decided on leatherman was the 25yr warranty and the good reviews on said warranty. Unfortunately after emailing leatherman my response was "sorry you're disappointed in your purchase but since you bought this from Amazon and not leatherman directly you'll need contact the seller for any refund or replacement."

Buyer beware. No where was it stated that Amazon wasn't a authorized dealer or that it would null the warranty. Extremely unsatisfied. I can't even use it out of the box with the pliers issue.  Lesson learned.

No brainer- return to Amazon. This has nothing to do with Leatherman.

You are a bit late to the party    ;)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: October 07, 2017, 11:25:18 PM
Wait, so is he saying that they gave him "another Leatherman of my choosing with expedited shipping free of charge!", the tool for free or the expedited shipping free?  :think:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #82 on: October 07, 2017, 11:40:25 PM
Wait, so is he saying that they gave him "another Leatherman of my choosing with expedited shipping free of charge!", the tool for free or the expedited shipping free?  :think:

I understood it to mean BOTH. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #83 on: October 09, 2017, 03:13:56 AM
They returned my money in full. They were out of stock on the Surge. Because of all the hassle and miscommunication and admitted mishandling on their end they sent me a Leatherman Wave free of charge and with expedited shipping.  I received it today! It's in great condition and I'm more than satisfied  with a free Leatherman! Its a bit small for what I need so I will end up buying the surge but I'm going to give this a run for awhile. 

I like the Surge for the replaceable wire cutters (I do a lot of welding mostly mig) and the T slot tool. So I will be purchasing one but the Wave looks like it'll be perfect for the camping bag. 

Leatherman themselves still never replied to any of my emails after the second one but it's okay. When I buy the Surge ill go directly through them. 

I'm just happy it ended up good in the end and everyone's happy. I didn't expect or ask for a free tool so that was a nice surprise on their end.

Thanks for all your help and comments. I'm looking forward to the forum.

Sorry,  I was going to post a pic from my phone but it says attachments too big?  Anyone have this problem?

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: October 09, 2017, 03:16:24 AM
 :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:21:44 AM by kaput »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #85 on: October 09, 2017, 03:30:47 AM
they sent me a Leatherman Wave free of charge and with expedited shipping.
Good score!  :2tu:

Sorry,  I was going to post a pic from my phone but it says attachments too big?  Anyone have this problem?
I use pixresizer to reduce my pics down to attach. I used to use Photobucket to share photos on here but they stopped allowing that, although there is a sneaky fix you can do depending on your browser.

:facepalm:
What's that for?

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: October 09, 2017, 08:40:24 AM
@syncop8tor Having been in customer service I find it terribly disheartening when people complain and raise a stink when they are being unreasonable. To go start a thread saying they won't honor a warranty for example. And then, posting a YouTube video titled "Leatherman won't honor warranty", which is a lie  :rant:. It annoys me. Then for his extended efforts at tarnishing a company that I personally have had excellent service and enjoyed years of their products, to be frank, it pisses me off that he got a free tool. It happens in customer service far too much, where the >:D customer gets the world for being a douche canoe. (I'm not talking about anyone imparticular, just saying...)

But congrats. you won.  :drink: the squeaky wheel gets the oil...

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #87 on: October 09, 2017, 06:20:25 PM
I'm not sure what your problem is kaput but leatherman didn't have anything to do with this. I don't feel I need to explain myself to you period, but what Leatherman DID do was send a piece of garbage out of the shop which caused me WEEKS extra to fix it with zero help from them. I'm not sure why you're so upset and taking this personal.  But the FACT remains.  Leatherman sent out a junk tool and then did NOT offer to replace it even after I made the video. And I had already sent the tool back for my refund BEFORE they replied.

I did NOT ask for anything free.  And the only "squeaking " I did sir,  was to ask for what I paid for. Not one thing more.  Please,  try and have a good day.

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #88 on: October 09, 2017, 06:22:01 PM
 And to be perfectly clear...LEATHERMAN DID NOT GIVE ME A FREE TOOL OR A REFUND.  NET RUSH DID.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #89 on: October 09, 2017, 07:29:24 PM
I'm with Ryan on this one.

Personally I would have gone to the retailer first, and I think most here would agree. However, I think most here would also agree is the guy just wanted what he'd paid for, and Leatherman could have been more helpful in there response, even if it was just a clearer explaination.

I'm glad you got a satisfactory settlement, Ryan  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44