Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chuck Yeager Challenge

Nix · 636 · 23638

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Re: Chuck Yeager Challenge
Reply #600 on: November 02, 2017, 02:44:47 AM
October 30th

I had to work late today. So I brought noodles for lunch.
The Executive removed the foil and opened the packets.

(Image removed from quote.)
Executive Nissin Noodles

For dinner I had... more noodles. And the Exec again opened the foil and packets.
And no, that's no 58mm classic on the lid, the cup of the noodles is about twice the size!
It's a matter of perspective.

Executive more Nissin Noodles

The rest of the day was uneventful. The Exec kept me company for the rest of the day, watching me work.

EDIT: My day was uneventful... until later that night...

I made a mess...

An Executive mess

I've never done any pumpkin carving and had one left from a Pumkin Ginger Soup I made earlier this month. It was going bad so I decided to give it a go.
Halloween isn't really celebrated here in the Netherlands. Perhaps in the past dew years it has gotten some attention.
I'm quite happy how it turned out. It's real fun to put a candle in and see the result at the end!

Pumkin, scary huh!

I used the large blade to cut out the top. A spoon to get rid of the inside. Then I drew a face on the front and cut it out with the large blade.
Then I drew something else on the back, traced it with the small blade, cut it with the small blade and used the SD on the file to add more depth to it.

Victorinox Pumpkin

One more day to this challenge, keep it up!
Happy Halloween everybody!
Like,  like

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline Dutchie_27

Reply #601 on: November 02, 2017, 09:53:12 AM

Back on orange duty!

Am I the only one left or are there more late arrivals to this party?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #602 on: November 02, 2017, 01:30:50 PM
Good question. I though you had company.....  But regardless, carry on!  :salute:

Offline Dutchie_27

Reply #603 on: November 02, 2017, 01:47:24 PM
Good question. I though you had company.....  But regardless, carry on!  :salute:

No worries! I’m loving it and cant wait to join the exec lounge! (Is that topic started yet?)
Sad thing is I’m flying to the uk tomorrow no hold bags so’ll have to leave my exec at home for a few days :(

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #604 on: November 02, 2017, 02:02:08 PM

No worries! I’m loving it and cant wait to join the exec lounge! (Is that topic started yet?)
Sad thing is I’m flying to the uk tomorrow no hold bags so’ll have to leave my exec at home for a few days :(

Greetings!

The Chuck Yeager month-long challenge completed on October 31st. I enjoyed this month-long challenge and wanted a topic location where Executive owners could display their Execs in action (or just display them). I started the Executive Lounge yesterday and the posts have started.

:cheers:

Jim
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:03:17 PM by NorCalJim »

it Offline Mini

Reply #605 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:20 PM
Challenge is ended for me, and here you are my conclusions. Executive for me is really an EDC. Is possible to use it  among people and in every place,because despite it has blades, it seems a keychain, and is very small. Why prefer it to a classic or manager? For its dimensions, scissors and blades do some tasks better, and the file is very good. The "strange" orange peeler is quite sturdy and has versatility.
The only sak which I think it can be compared, is the alox cadet, like it's just written. But it miss scissors, that are very useful for me, idem for tweezers.
Cadet gain points for its aspect, because alox is really nice, whereas 74mm are common only with red and black scales. Also the Cadet is better for using with big screws and for prying, so adding a classic or a swiss card is possible to have something quite complite. But I miss a saw and pliers, so I can add something else...

Well, if I had to go minimal in urban environment, I choose the Executive, and nothing else.

Thanks to all, I really enjoyed the challenge!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #606 on: November 02, 2017, 02:21:31 PM
 :like:

Nice review! And I find I agree with your thoughts there. There isn't a "perfect" SAK for me. The Exec does many thing well, and makes a super urban-EDC.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #607 on: November 02, 2017, 04:13:58 PM

Good summary, Mini!

I do like the comparison of the 74mm Executive with the 84mm Cadet since from a carry consideration, they are almost the same light weight. The little Cadet has amazing build quality and more robust tools with better capability including prying. The lack of scissors can make a big difference depending on one's needs. As this challenge proved, the Executive is a very capable tool in a small package. The fact that this capability comes in what can be considered a keychain size would not alarm people who would be concerned about larger pocket knives.

Jim

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #608 on: November 03, 2017, 12:14:39 AM
Some very interesting thoughts here.

I've decided I'm an 84 mil fan and I do like the Cadet for its slim Alox character and toolset though strictly I like the Sportsman more with its T&T and mini screwdriver. Paired with a Classic I think they give you a very versatile package. And you can fix your glasses.

So where does this leave the Executive or the Ambassador? I carried the Ambassador for the CY Challenge and it's a great gentlemans pocket knife. It does just slip into the pocket with ease and covers the day to day bases effectively with a decent blade. The Executive though has a better file and that orange peeler. The extra width is something I can live with. I don't strictly need the extra tools but they're nice additions.

So Chuck Yeager wasn't wrong to rely on an Executive. In the end I'll keep both  Executive and Ambassador in my regular rotation but I do like to make the choice day by day. And that draws me back to 84mm time and again.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #609 on: November 03, 2017, 12:40:04 AM
I've decided I'm an 84 mil fan and I do like the Cadet for its slim Alox character and toolset....

Hey, only El Corkscrew complains about the Cadet. And the Sportsman is a great SAK.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #610 on: November 03, 2017, 03:18:05 AM
Wow what a great challenge guys :like: I think most of you have the minmalist SAK 30 day badge now but if you don't just go on over and request it and we will see that you get it :salute:

The Executive truly is a great SAK and I need to carry mine more :cheers:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #611 on: November 03, 2017, 03:45:53 AM
That was an awesome challenge.  I have carried the Swisstool for so long I was scared to try the Surge challenge.  I can't even fathom the fear such a minmalist challenge would cause me.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline getahl

Reply #612 on: November 03, 2017, 04:47:46 AM
I enjoyed the challenge. I didn't post pictures every day, but I did use my Exec most days, and it was the only knife i carried and used for the month of October, barring kitchen knives and such.

My thoughts are that I really like the 74mm platform. It makes for a very comfortable to use pen knife. For me, the Exec is definitely too large on the key ring for my comfort. I'd rather carry it loose in pocket. If my Ambassador weren't buried in my .50 caliber box o knives,  I'd pull it out. As it happens, I am lazy.

I really like 2 blades, the scissors are smooth as silk, and the pointy bit on  the file rocks as a poker. I can say woth certitude that i dislike the peeler as a serrated scraper and screwdriver. In fact, I do not trust screwdrivers with  a blade on the side. I'm not hot on the file either. A part of me just likes the file found on the Classic better, even before taking the SD tip into account.

I'm swapping back to my Classic. The Exec will be put away, for now, until I get a wild hair to start carrying it again. It's been fun, but not something I wish to carry daily.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Dutchie_27

Reply #613 on: December 12, 2017, 11:16:28 AM
And to finalize this challenge;

I haven’t posted a lot, but I’ve kept to the challenge all along. It’s proven to be a great little tool and, though I was sceptical, it’s proven me that I can do with less than full sized multitools on me.
I’ve been carrying around just the exec and my light.
Frankly, even though i’ve never had one before, the most used tool is the orange peeler!!
The two tiny knives are great for what i use them for daily anyway. I’m going to continue with my current setup for a while!
Thanks Chucky!!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #614 on: December 12, 2017, 01:38:36 PM
 :cheers: They really are great knives!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #615 on: December 12, 2017, 02:33:26 PM
 :like:  It's a very capable tool in a small package.  :cheers:

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #616 on: December 12, 2017, 02:58:34 PM
And to finalize this challenge;

I haven’t posted a lot, but I’ve kept to the challenge all along. It’s proven to be a great little tool and, though I was sceptical, it’s proven me that I can do with less than full sized multitools on me.
I’ve been carrying around just the exec and my light.
Frankly, even though i’ve never had one before, the most used tool is the orange peeler!!
The two tiny knives are great for what i use them for daily anyway. I’m going to continue with my current setup for a while!
Thanks Chucky!!

As a user that's been carrying an Executive as my only EDC blade for decades, it brings a smile to my face to read this.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Offline Dutchie_27

Reply #617 on: January 31, 2018, 06:31:31 PM

[/quote]As a user that's been carrying an Executive as my only EDC blade for decades, it brings a smile to my face to read this.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
[/quote]
To add to your joy, i can say that this is still my edc. Every single day. My other saks and leathermans sure have their places in the hiuse, office in my cars and motorbikes. But the exec is my trusty pocket companion.
Searching for years. From surges to managers this little tool has stolen my heart.
Yes, it’s on me now as I write this. An amazing challenge it’s been! I’m glad i decided to buy the exec just for “smurfs’ngiggles”.  It’s truly proven itself.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #618 on: January 31, 2018, 08:52:27 PM

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #619 on: February 01, 2018, 04:47:20 AM
+1!!!
Barry

Offline Dutchie_27

Reply #620 on: March 30, 2020, 08:47:41 AM

And still, dangling on my keys.
Lost it for a while last year. Put it in my checked in luggage. Thought I'd lost it and only found it the next time a took a flight and was checking pockets.
Still here, in use almost daily.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #621 on: March 30, 2020, 03:30:50 PM
Glad you found it!  It's a wonderful knife :tu:
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #622 on: March 30, 2020, 04:14:34 PM
And still, dangling on my keys.
Lost it for a while last year. Put it in my checked in luggage. Thought I'd lost it and only found it the next time a took a flight and was checking pockets.
Still here, in use almost daily.

Dutchie, if thats a Fenix E01 there with the executive, then we are carrying the exact same EDC rig.

My little Fenix has been on my keyring for almost 14 years now and looks like it has gone through the war in the trenches. Most the black is worn off, the knurling is smoothed out a good bit, and the keyring hole in wearing through the aluminum fin and soon I'm going to have to drill a hole in another place for the keyring. But its still going strong. I thought it was failing last year, but I cleaned off the contact and it worked great.

For the past year and a half the cutie has been my sole EDC pocket knife and it has taken over my heart, as far as a pocket knife is concerned. Before that, I carried a classic and the E01, and got by well. If I needed more screw driving capability, my little Victorinox quatro or the old P-38 in my wallet did the duty.

Never under estimate the little guys, and God bless General Charles Yeager, USAF retired!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #623 on: March 30, 2020, 04:50:19 PM
Carl did you make a leather sheath for your Executive?
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #624 on: March 30, 2020, 05:41:26 PM
Never under estimate the little guys, and God bless General Charles Yeager, USAF retired!

:iagree:   :salute:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #625 on: March 30, 2020, 05:52:02 PM
Carl did you make a leather sheath for your Executive?

No, I haven't gone that route. Its just a tad too heavy for my keyring, so it has  become a permanent resident of my coin/watch pocket of my jeans. I like it there, as its more at hand and convenient to just slip out and use.

I bought a new car in January of 2019, as my old Tacoma I've been driving since 2001 was showing its age in some upcoming very expensive repairs. The new corolla has an all plastic key with the fancy electronics init, and I just didn't want to hang too much weight on a key that is a lot of coin to replace.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #626 on: March 30, 2020, 06:15:07 PM
I agree.  My VW is exactly the same :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #627 on: March 30, 2020, 06:29:57 PM
I agree.  My VW is exactly the same :facepalm:

Yeah.

These new cars with all the bells and whistlers and computer controlled this and that, are getting a little ridiculous. Its a CAR, not the space shuttle.

It all makes me long for my old VW bugs, that were just a car that got me from point A to point B in an extremely reliable manner. And if I had an adjustable wrench and my SAK, I could fix darn near anything on it.

A Bug, a bug, my kingdom for a bug!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #628 on: March 30, 2020, 06:39:01 PM
My motto exactly, especially my beloved '66!
Barry

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #629 on: March 31, 2020, 10:20:47 PM
Good news.  The Vic Executive is available on the Big River website again for $23.60.  Excellent price.   :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%