Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's in a Name?

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
What's in a Name?
on: October 02, 2017, 01:13:04 AM
I was watching a YouTube video reviewer list the various Panasonic model names of the same exact mirrorless camera depending on whether the camera was intended for the U.S., Europe or various other parts of the world.  It struck me how often manufacturers use multiple names for the same product or a single name for multiple products. I suppose I can't laugh too loud because Victorinox has had no problem playing the name game.

Some time within the last year or so, there were multiple posts in this forum mentioning the Yeoman (no longer in production). It had some key attributes of the Explorer, only in a 3-layer instead of the Explorer's 4-layer form factor. I might have just gone on thinking I was happy if I hadn't read these posts but now I needed to have a Yeoman. Easier said than done! As a discontinued model, they were fairly scarce. Also, thanks to the influence of one of our fellow Swiss Army Knights (talking about you, FB), I wanted one in NOS/NIB. I jumped at the first NIB Yeoman I saw without carefully examining the photos because it was a buy-it-now and I wanted to snatch it up before someone else could. :)

Yeoman BSA 2 by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

Yeoman BSA 1 by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

I was beside myself with joy when I opened the box to examine my NOS Yeoman only to find out that it was really a 4 layer Explorer. I was happy with the purchase but I still wanted a "Real" Yeoman. When I posted a question about this, some of the more experienced SAK collectors explained that Victorinox sometimes uses the same name for different SAK models. Eventually, I wound up with two 3-layer NOS Yeomans and a third in mint condition but I am more careful in not jumping to conclusions after reading a model name.

You may want to check it out for yourselves and find a few examples.  If you are so inclined, the Woodsman is a very good example. I prefer the model with the magnifier but there is also one without the magnifier and I am not sure but think there is even an Alox Woodsman.  I was on SAKWiki today looking at the Cadet II and learned it originally referred to the change from the original Cadet with large and small knife to the Cadet with large knife and nail file. The new model with the nail file was called the Cadet II. Then later, the newer Cadet became known simply as the Cadet and the original style with the two knife blades and no nail file became known as the Cadet II.

Hopefully, knowing that the same model name can refer to different models will save you from some unexpected surprises in your trades or purchases.

:climber:

Jim

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: What's in a Name?
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 02:23:24 AM
Tricky waters, indeed. Rangers are kinda like that, too.

Still, you ended up with a nice knife.  :cheers:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:33:05 AM
Tricky waters, indeed. Rangers are kinda like that, too.

Still, you ended up with a nice knife.  :cheers:

In a way, it reminds me of a board game, once you know the rules, it's much easier to play the game. :)

Jim

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:42:08 AM
Also, thanks to the influence of one of our fellow Swiss Army Knights (talking about you, FB), I wanted one in NOS/NIB. I jumped at the first NIB Yeoman I saw without carefully examining the photos because it was a buy-it-now and I wanted to snatch it up before someone else could. :)
Good decision because had I seen that mint in box beauty, I would have bought it now too!  :tu:  :drool:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:46:50 AM
Also, thanks to the influence of one of our fellow Swiss Army Knights (talking about you, FB), I wanted one in NOS/NIB. I jumped at the first NIB Yeoman I saw without carefully examining the photos because it was a buy-it-now and I wanted to snatch it up before someone else could. :)
Good decision because had I seen that mint in box beauty, I would have bought it now too!  :tu:  :drool:

:rofl:

For the most part, I have tossed boxes over the years with some exceptions--I know that selling cameras and lenses are easier with their boxes and materials. Seeing your NOS box gallery must have flipped a switch in me somewhere or at least corrected a lack of appreciation for the importance of boxes, especially mint or new SAKs in those boxes. I probably would have just gone on thinking I was happy without the boxes. :)

:cheers:

Jim

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21