Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Part of my collection

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Part of my collection
Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 02:54:20 PM
When I submitted my pictures (2), I got both times an e-mail from Vic. I suppose you submit once again. But do it before it is too late!!!

Very helpful, thank you. When you submitted, did you get a email response immediately or was there a delay? I just resubmitted and still no response.
There should be an immediate confirmation screen if submission was successful... I never got confirmation email even then I can see my entries.

I think they udpate the gallery once a day during work hours... that means submission on fridays after office hours will only be seen on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Part of my collection
Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 03:12:55 PM
Decided to take a pic for the Victorinox contest that represented my collection. The goal was to capture all the different model and scale variations along with instances of all the different tools that I could. I'm pretty happy with how they came out - the full res images (6000x4000) are clear enough that you can read all the details on the knives.

The first version I did has a border of all the different boxes from c 1940 - present:

(Image removed from quote.)

I also did a version without the boxes, which I think is cleaner but does lose a little historic significance:

Very impressive!   :like: :tu: :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Part of my collection
Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 05:23:24 PM
Just checked, your pics are now showing jazzbass :cheers:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:29:11 PM by jaya_man »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 06, 2017, 05:38:48 PM
Just checked, your pics are now showing jazzbass :cheers:

Haha... I just saw the same - both are up there. I guess I'm in! Thanks guys.  :cheers:

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 07:08:21 PM
What a great work jazzbass! So many details and thoughts and efforts in these pictures!
I give my kudos to you  :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 09:08:02 PM
Outstanding collection and photos!   :cheers:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 09:47:04 PM
Holy cow, so many SAKs! :o  Awesome composition and shot!  :tu:

:2tu:  +1   :2tu:

JB, you are the man! Any updates on your efforts with the book?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 11:01:03 PM
Decided to take a pic for the Victorinox contest that represented my collection. The goal was to capture all the different model and scale variations along with instances of all the different tools that I could. I'm pretty happy with how they came out - the full res images (6000x4000) are clear enough that you can read all the details on the knives.

The first version I did has a border of all the different boxes from c 1940 - present:

I also did a version without the boxes, which I think is cleaner but does lose a little historic significance:

I saw your pictures posted on the Victorinox gallery page and it looks to me like you should have a good chance. :like: :tu: :tu: :cheers:

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: October 07, 2017, 12:06:51 AM
I see the shield was fixed on the blue one on the bottom right.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 07, 2017, 01:30:44 AM
There's a reason I'm always interested when I see a thread started by jazzbass!  :SAKnight:

us Offline Frailer

Reply #40 on: October 07, 2017, 05:29:33 PM
Holy cow...

My response exactly.

Very cool.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #41 on: October 07, 2017, 05:43:05 PM
Looks beutiful

“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline BerkshireHunter

Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 11:14:45 PM
Awesome collection
 :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: October 09, 2017, 12:57:37 PM
Great pic JB :ahhh That really did take some time to set up though :sa: :like: :like: :drool:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #44 on: October 09, 2017, 02:14:25 PM
Now this is something I have wanted to see for a long time.

Well done Vic for prompting JB to take this photo  :salute: and so glad you enterred  JB  :tu:

As others have said ,,, amazing collection - beautifully arranged layout - and stunning photo - You must have got a crane in to suspend yourself over the collection for the click!!
And again as others said .. if this does not win - something has gone wrong in the world
Also, as we all know here, there could not be a more worthy winner.

You can blow this photo up on your screen and look at it for hours, wandering around marvelling at the various models and trying to work out what they all are ???
And really good to see the knife that surprised you back on the boards - Centre one o'clock - Wasn't it the Officers Knife that was 100mm not 91 ? Or something like that ?
I was going to enter the competition - But was on hols last week and forgot  :twak:
Of course my pic would not have been in the same league, but it would have been nice to partake.
I do think this was a brilliant competition idea by Vic - I've only looked at a few photos - But they all are nice to see - And it's great to read all the associated the stories.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #45 on: October 09, 2017, 04:51:45 PM
I think you can still partake Hunstman... Today is the last day... :cheers:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #46 on: October 09, 2017, 07:04:55 PM
The Contest starts at 12:00 a.m. (GMT +01:00) on September 19, 2017, and will run until October 6, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. (GMT +01:00).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 09, 2017, 08:21:01 PM
None of my entries were ever shown on their site...

Feeling quite pissed...

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: October 09, 2017, 10:37:09 PM

Feeling quite pissed...

Oddly. Why should Victorinox ignore a serious submission? :shrug:
Maybe this helps:

- Photos uploaded at the first days of the competition are no longer seen.
- Participation is only possible once per person. Maybe Victorinox has erased multiple logins.
- The English and the German sites show different galleries.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 02:44:19 AM
The Contest starts at 12:00 a.m. (GMT +01:00) on September 19, 2017, and will run until October 6, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. (GMT +01:00).
I stand corrected, somehow October 9 stuck in the back of my mind :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #50 on: October 10, 2017, 03:00:07 AM

Feeling quite pissed...

Oddly. Why should Victorinox ignore a serious submission? :shrug:
Maybe this helps:

- Photos uploaded at the first days of the competition are no longer seen.
- Participation is only possible once per person. Maybe Victorinox has erased multiple logins.
- The English and the German sites show different galleries.
I can still see all of my entries though...

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:25 PM

All those boxes!  :cheers: Love 'em!   :like:  :drool:   :like:
I like the knives too of course.  :tu:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 01:37:22 PM

All those boxes!  :cheers: Love 'em!   :like:  :drool:   :like:
I like the knives too of course.  :tu:

When I saw all of those boxes, I thought of your affinity for mint SAKs in boxes. This collection is the most amazing thing that I have seen on this site.

Jim

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: October 19, 2017, 12:43:19 AM
A couple people were asking how I got the shot. Here's probably more info than you want to know.

When I started this project, I didn’t really understand how much of a pain it would be. I am an amateur photographer to say the least – I really know embarrassingly little about photography. Fortunately, my sister is a professional photographer and she helped figure a lot of things out.

Starting off, my goal was to get as many knives in the shot as possible. The goal was 300+ (final number was 472, so better than I hoped for). To maximize the number of knives in the shot, I figured I’d lay them out in an area the same dimensions as the image sensor in the camera. I took this shot with a Nikon D610 full frame DSLR which has a 36x24mm sensor. Since 6x4 was my target ratio, the easiest thing to do was grab a full sheet of plywood (4 ft x 8 ft), use the full width and 6 of 8 ft of length, and use that as the base:

I covered the plywood in white Kraft paper (that conveniently comes in 4 ft wide rolls). I knew lining up the knives without any guide would be a challenge, so I measured off and marked 1” increments along the side of the plywood and stuck thumbtacks in each line – 244 thumbtacks total.

Then I took some white polyester thread and strung it between all the tacks making a grid:

Then I tackled the layout. Started with the logo in the center and just build out from around that. I had a few goals in mind:

1.   Create an interesting pattern that didn’t have too much repetition in knife direction and style
2.   Show a lot of the different tools
3.   Represent all the different scale types and have a decent variation in color
4.   Include very important and historic models
5.   Show the basic evolution of the officer’s knife from 1890 – present. This is the purpose of the row of at the top.

This took longer than I thought it was going to. Like A LOT longer. Like an amount of time I’m embarrassed to quantify so I just say “a lot”.

With the layout mostly finished, I moved the plywood to the floor on top of a couple furniture dollies. This allowed me to roll the entire layout around to adjust it in frame, set up lights, fix the camera, etc.

Now time for the first test shots. At first I tried to use the 50mm prime lens I usually keep on my Nikon for general photography. To completely frame a 6 ft x 4 ft area with a 50mm lens I need about 10 ft of distance between the camera and subject. Lucky for me the ceiling in my garage is 10.5 ft high, and there is a hole in it to allow access to the attic space above. So, I mounted the camera in the attic access hole (red arrow in the pictures above and below).

I took some test shots. That’s when I ran into my first problem – distortion:

The focal length on the 50mm lens is too short to shoot something this big without distorting it. You can see here how the edges of the shot aren’t even remotely square and are being bent in via barrel distortion. It most obvious on the long edges and in the corners:

I called my sister and she said a longer focal length lens would help lessen the distortion. After debating several options, I decided to try an 85mm prime lens. For the same size subject this would allow me to move the camera back further, get the same area in frame but with a lot less distortion. I could have used a zoom lens (e.g. 70-200) but I was really concerned with preserving as much fine detail in the full res shot as possible. To get that sort of sharpness with a zoom lens would mean buying/renting a $2000+ professional quality lens. Not really in the budget. A pro quality prime lens, however, can be had for a little less than a consumer quality zoom, so that’s the route I went. With the 85mm lens I needed 14 ft of distance between camera and subject, so I set up my tripod in the attic:

One of the most important factors to getting this shot to work is shown here: the remote tethering setup. I can power the camera from A/C power instead of a battery (blue arrow) and connect the camera to my PC via USB (red arrow). So the camera can stay on for hours while I set up the shot, and I can control the camera completely from software called CameraRC on my laptop:

Live preview, shutter speed, aperture settings, ISO, focus point, and shutter release can all be remotely controlled from the software. I can take a shot, download from the camera that's 14 ft up in the attic, open the shot in Photoshop and check my settings and alignment. Straighten some knives out, tweak a few things in the layout (rearrange things that look odd, tighten up some spacing, etc), adjust the lighting, and do it again. Lather, rinse, repeat until I’m satisfied with the shot.

Speaking of lights, this was the other fun part of the shoot – lighting over 450 shiny metal and plastic objects and taking a photo of them without pro levels of lighting gear is a challenge. A friend of mine has a photography business and suggested I get a lot of LED work lights and point them all up, bouncing the light off the ceiling and wall to light the shot indirectly. So that’s what I did:

And that worked great. There could have been more light, but with the camera on a tripod it wasn’t a huge deal – just slow the shutter speed down. I was able to get the shot fairly evenly lit with not a lot of heavy shadows on the knives. It left the background paper a bit greyish, which turns out I liked – it made the tools and the lighter knives stand out more. At the end it just needed a little color correction and clean up work in Photoshop - taking out dust specs, stray eyelashes, stuff like that. And done!

Really the key to all this was my garage layout. I just got extremely lucky here. The height of the ceiling was perfect. Setting up the camera in the attic and shooting through the access hole worked perfectly. The fact that I painted my garage bright white (mainly to reflect as much light as possible when working on cars) worked out perfectly when lighting the shot.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:03:03 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #54 on: October 19, 2017, 12:50:22 AM
that is a lot of effort, that I think paid off greatly!  the photos are beautiful
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: October 19, 2017, 12:54:46 AM
Thanks detron!

So here are the final two shots. After the contest deadline was past I reviewed the earlier shots and made some tweaks to the layout and the lighting. One of my friends pointed out that the digital clocks were out of sync so I fixed that too (if you're going to be OCD, be OCD). I decided to skip the box idea, and the "big knife in all four corners" idea ended up looking too much like a QR code for my taste so that got dumped too. I did end up with one shot with the center logo and one without. The full res image (6000x4000) is big enough to have a poster printed from it, so I'm going to order one this week and see how it turns out. Click the thumbnails below to see larger images.

With logo (472 knives):

And without (477 knives):
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:09:38 AM by jazzbass »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #56 on: October 19, 2017, 01:55:37 AM
A couple people were asking how I got the shot. Here's probably more info than you want to know.

Absolutely brilliant...!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:56:45 AM by Fuzzbucket »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 19, 2017, 02:12:38 AM
Definitely not too much detail JB - It was pretty clear that this shot did not happen by accident - Thanks for sharing - Brilliant    :salute:
- Loved the picture initially and love it even more now   :tu:

And I was closer than I thought !!   ;)
You must have got a crane in to suspend yourself over the collection for the click!!
As you say - So lucky with ceiling heights, painted walls, loft door hole size etc etc
Loved the remote control aspects - and the synchronising the times is hilarious - But of course essential ;)

Anyway folks - I want to know the results now - As do we all I'm sure
EDIT: Although Vic have quite a job on their hands I'd say ... apart from our obvious winner of course ;)

BTW JB  - You do know you'll need to totally redo the shot to add in the wood and gold Compact - eh   ???    ;)    :o

PS - And do we spy your collection boxes at the back of the garage? - Or is that your regular tools?   :)

EDIT PS - Will you be selling the poster - I'd buy one !!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:05:14 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #58 on: October 19, 2017, 02:51:37 AM
A lot of work, but the results are worth it!   :salute:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #59 on: October 19, 2017, 02:52:57 AM
This pic should at least be in the 2018 calendar... The process in taking this pic alone carries “a lot” of merits... :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD