Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ontario/Quebec Meetup?

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: Ontario/Quebec Meetup?
Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 06:45:39 AM
We stop working when it´s raining. It´s not like we´re afraid to melt, being wet in a cold wind is dangerous. Wind chill might triple when wet.

What do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

Gardening. Winter´s the time for us to plant new gardens (if the soil isn´t frozen) and to prune trees..

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 05:40:26 PM
We stop working when it´s raining. It´s not like we´re afraid to melt, being wet in a cold wind is dangerous. Wind chill might triple when wet.

What do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

Gardening. Winter´s the time for us to plant new gardens (if the soil isn´t frozen) and to prune trees..

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like nice work, being outside is always preferable to being inside!

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 06:39:41 PM
This seems like an OK thread to ask this question. Is Quebec really pronounced Kebec or is someone pulling my leg? Dont want to offend someone while I am there in a week.

To be honest as long as you don't pronounce Montreal with a hard "ON" (if should be pronounced Muntreal) you're set
Glad you said something. I am from southern US so the natural way i say it is more along the lines of Mawn-tree-all

Np, knowing a bit of French can't hurt either and most people won't give smurf about pronounciation and will appreciate the effort, here are some basics.

Thanks - Merci (the "ME" is pronounced meh, and put the emphasis on the "R"

Thank you very much - Merci beaucoup (beau is pronounced "Bo" with no emphasis, "coup" has the emphasis on the "C" and is pronounced "coo")

Hello - Bonjour [literally means "good day"] (No emphasis on the "Bon", "jour" has a soft J)

Goodbye - Au revoir [literally means "until we see each other again"] ( "Au" is pronounced like a surprised "oh" and "revoir" puts the emphasis on the "r"s)

My name is - Je m'appelle "name" [literlaly means "I am called"] ( "Je" means I and is pronounced like the "Je" in Jello; m'appelle has the emphasis on the "ppelle" so try saying a soft "map" and following it with an "El" like in Elizabeth)

I do not speak French - Je ne peux pas parler français (The "Je" is pronounced exactly like the last example, " ne peux" is pronounced like you're saying "nipple" really fast without the "L", "pas" is pronounced "puh", "parler" is parlei with the "lei" being pronounced like the "La" in "soup ladle"; "Français" is pronounced like a someone saying Francis with a heavy French accent, just drop the "s" at the end".

I do not understand - Je ne comprends pas ( I think you've got the "Je" pronounciation down by now; "Ne" is promounded like "Neu"; "Comprend" is "Conpren"; "pas" is "puh"

Other notes:
-In Quebec French when you emphasize an "R" try rolling the sound and make it come from your throat, it's hard to describe but it really helps with pronounciation
-When buying beer go for a Molson, it'll impress the locals and the Molson family is super nice so it's always good to support them
-Go to LaFleurs and order a Number 5 (Poutine, steamy and a drink)l you won't be sorry

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 06:41:58 PM

Other notes:
-In Quebec French when you emphasize an "R" try rolling the sound and make it come from your throat, it's hard to describe but it really helps with pronounciation
-When buying beer go for a Molson, it'll impress the locals and the Molson family is super nice so it's always good to support them
-Go to LaFleurs and order a Number 5 (Poutine, steamy and a drink)l you won't be sorry
Like in Spanish?  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:19 PM

Other notes:
Like in Spanish?  :think:

Kind of but deeper in the throat and more phlegm-y

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 08:47:30 PM
This seems like an OK thread to ask this question. Is Quebec really pronounced Kebec or is someone pulling my leg? Dont want to offend someone while I am there in a week.

To be honest as long as you don't pronounce Montreal with a hard "ON" (if should be pronounced Muntreal) you're set
Glad you said something. I am from southern US so the natural way i say it is more along the lines of Mawn-tree-all

Np, knowing a bit of French can't hurt either and most people won't give smurf about pronounciation and will appreciate the effort, here are some basics.

Thank you very much - Merci beaucoup (beau is pronounced "Bo" with no emphasis, "coup" has the emphasis on the "C" and is pronounced "coo")

Hello - Bonjour [literally means "good day"] (No emphasis on the "Bon", "jour" has a soft J)

Goodbye - Au revoir [literally means "until we see each other again"] ( "Au" is pronounced like a surprised "oh" and "revoir" puts the emphasis on the "r"s)

My name is - Je m'appelle "name" [literlaly means "I am called"] ( "Je" means I and is pronounced like the "Je" in Jello; m'appelle has the emphasis on the "ppelle" so try saying a soft "map" and following it with an "El" like in Elizabeth)

I do not speak French - Je ne peux pas parler français (The "Je" is pronounced exactly like the last example, " ne peux" is pronounced like you're saying "nipple" really fast without the "L", "pas" is pronounced "puh", "parler" is parlei with the "lei" being pronounced like the "La" in "soup ladle"; "Français" is pronounced like a someone saying Francis with a heavy French accent, just drop the "s" at the end".

I do not understand - Je ne comprends pas ( I think you've got the "Je" pronounciation down by now; "Ne" is promounded like "Neu"; "Comprend" is "Conpren"; "pas" is "puh"

Other notes:
Thanks for the pointers! Do they have Molson everywhere or is it just a certain place?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 10:28:16 PM
Molson will be available in a lot of places.  It's like Coke and Pepsi- a Molson sponsored bar or restaurant will sell Molson products, a Labatts sponsored bar or restaurant sells Labatts products etc.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 11:20:17 PM
Molson will be available in a lot of places.  It's like Coke and Pepsi- a Molson sponsored bar or restaurant will sell Molson products, a Labatts sponsored bar or restaurant sells Labatts products etc.

Def
Gotcha. Thanks!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 10:21:48 AM

Other notes:
Unless that is not real French but Canadian French, then it should be
je ne sais pas parle français... parler uses savoir (knowing) not pouvoir (can), or at least that is what I learned. Of course, saying it wrong proofs your point :D

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 03:09:06 PM
Really the only French you need to know in a place like Montreal is "Anglais?"

It's a large international, multicultural city (as is Quebec City) and you'll find that almost everyone you meet can and will speak English, and the few that don't will likely be able to either understand enough or have someone handy that will.  I honestly wouldn't worry too much about learning any French.  Worst comes to worst, use Google Translate and pretend to try real hard to speak it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 06:45:40 PM

Other notes:
Unless that is not real French but Canadian French, then it should be
je ne sais pas parle français... parler uses savoir (knowing) not pouvoir (can), or at least that is what I learned. Of course, saying it wrong proofs your point :D

True, most of my French knowledge is the smurfized joual that we learn in Quebec. For some reason the grammatical rules change drastically depending on who you talk to / learn from / where you are.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 24, 2017, 01:08:44 AM
When I was in Montreal 10 years ago, the couple places I went to that had take out beer was all usually Molson products. Almost seems like a beer monopoly. Molson does have good beer tho.  :cheers:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #42 on: December 24, 2017, 01:33:41 AM
Worst comes to worst
I remember having a discussion once over whether that should be "worse comes to worst" or "worst comes to worse"...  :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: December 24, 2017, 02:08:22 AM
Really the only French you need to know in a place like Montreal is "Anglais?"

It's a large international, multicultural city (as is Quebec City) and you'll find that almost everyone you meet can and will speak English, and the few that don't will likely be able to either understand enough or have someone handy that will.  I honestly wouldn't worry too much about learning any French.  Worst comes to worst, use Google Translate and pretend to try real hard to speak it.

Def

I was traveling through Quebec a couple of years ago and found myself in some places (Timmy Ho's!) where nobody spoke Anglais, or, at least, didn't acknowledge speaking any Anglais. Everyone was wonderfully friendly, but English was something entirely foreign. My advise is to learn enough French to order an egg sandwich, learn where the bathroom is, and ask directions to a gas-station. In hotels and proper restaurants, most of the time, somebody speaks enough English to check you in and help you get dinner.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 02:14:32 AM by Nix »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: December 24, 2017, 02:40:59 PM
Worst comes to worst
I remember having a discussion once over whether that should be "worse comes to worst" or "worst comes to worse"...  :think:

Well, far be it for me to determine the proper origin of the saying, but for what it's worth, my take on it is this:

One simply says "worst" and it is implied to be the "worst case scenario" and therefore it would be worst and not worse.  Worst is final, meaning this is as bad as it gets, while worse is a relative term- ie this is is worse than the other.

The meaning of the phrase "worst comes to worst" means basically if everything goes horribly wrong and we hit rock bottom, this is how to proceed.

I suppose the phrase works other ways as well, and I am hardly a linguist, but this is how I use it, and what it means to me.  Maybe I'm wrong (entirely possible) but I'd be happy to put my justification against anyone else's.  :D

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #45 on: December 24, 2017, 09:56:30 PM
If it's "worse comes to worst", that sounds like a bad situation (worse than normal) has progressed into it's worst possible scenario.
If it's "worst comes to worse", that sounds like you don't think things could get any worse (ie they are at their worst), but lo and behold they do become even worse.
I hadn't considered "worst comes to worst" (which doesn't make sense to me).

I guess I should look it up...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 10:19:13 PM by Syncop8r »

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #46 on: December 28, 2017, 10:05:30 AM
I'd rather have wurst come to wurst... :whistle:

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #47 on: December 28, 2017, 10:57:15 AM
wurst.jpg
* wurst.jpg (Filesize: 52.04 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: December 28, 2017, 11:54:25 AM
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #49 on: December 28, 2017, 05:00:46 PM

For an upgrade, just press Senf.

::)

:facepalm:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: May 16, 2018, 04:53:00 PM
I met up with a local Slinger of Tools this morning (who shall remain nameless :D) and we were talking about some potential adventures this summer, including a potential meetup.

I guess that means it is time to see what ideas anyone in the area may have and what you may want to do.  If anyone local is interested in discussing it in person, I will be doing the Spencerville Poker Run on the 26th.  :D

http://www.spencervillemill.ca/canoe-poker-run.html

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%