Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Tool from CRKT- the Technician!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: New Tool from CRKT- the Technician!
Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 06:27:43 PM
Ti scales coming soon?

As soon as we find someone with a cnc machine to cut different materials in different patterns... :D

Def
Tall order.  ::)

:D

Its got 2x more scales then a SAK does though.  Thats 100% more scales! 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:37 PM
I rather like the tool, but wonder about the large depression in the handles when open. It looks like it'll be easy to mod too. >:D  I'd like a knifeless version for work.

Yeah, open or closed, it seems there's an uncomfortable and unnecessary pointy bit that'll dig into your palm
I wonder if that could be massaged out with some modding... I don't really like the scales anyway.
Of course one shouldn't have to...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 11:15:58 PM
I rather like the tool, but wonder about the large depression in the handles when open. It looks like it'll be easy to mod too. >:D  I'd like a knifeless version for work.

Yeah, open or closed, it seems there's an uncomfortable and unnecessary pointy bit that'll dig into your palm
I wonder if that could be massaged out with some modding... I don't really like the scales anyway.
Of course one shouldn't have to...

Yeah .... you could fix the ergos of the handles, and you could fix the cutters so they don't encroach on the main gripping area .... but to be honest, I've grown tired of buying stuff that I need to finish off or correct  :-\

At least it looks like it should function out of the box, even if it is damn uncomfortable, so that potentially puts it above anything I've seen from  SOG in the last few years :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 11:26:40 PM
Yeah .... you could fix the ergos of the handles, and you could fix the cutters so they don't encroach on the main gripping area .... but to be honest, I've grown tired of buying stuff that I need to finish off or correct  :-\
Time for you to start designing multitools then, show them how it's done.  :pok:  ;)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 11:57:39 PM
Honestly I would love to see Al in the R&D or testing departments of any and all manufacturers.....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #35 on: October 14, 2017, 12:04:59 AM
Honestly I would love to see Al in the R&D or testing departments of any and all manufacturers.....
I'm serious too - I'm not saying "let's see you do better". Well actually I am. I would like to see what he would come up with.  :popcorn:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: October 14, 2017, 12:09:48 AM
Time for you to start designing multitools then, show them how it's done.  :pok:  ;)
These issues may not have originated with the designer. Sometimes there are misinterpretations further down the line. There was no specific instruction to scale down the bit driver on the Zilla Jr. Unfortunately, neither was there a specific instruction not to.  ::)

Def

:salute:

I think there's probably a few members here who could identify and remedy potential issues quite easily if they were given a sneak peek at the tech spec, drawings and process routings.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #37 on: October 14, 2017, 12:11:12 AM
I'm serious too - I'm not saying "let's see you do better". Well actually I am. I would like to see what he would come up with.  :popcorn:
+1!
Al would be a great person to have on your team to pick apart your designs for flaws, and I'm sure that his designs would be proper good. :cheers: :salute:

I wonder if certain multitools have ever been tested in the real world by real people for good egronomics, sensible tool set, etc.  ::)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: October 14, 2017, 12:13:48 AM

My creative efforts are diverted elsewhere at the moment.

Although if someone was to make me a very lucrative offer. ...  :whistle:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #39 on: October 14, 2017, 01:37:34 AM
After all of these years I am surprised we aren't seeing manufacturers come us more for testing and evaluation.

The small guys with their Kickstarter stuff makes sense- that's their baby and they have spent a lot of time making it suit their needs and anything different just waters it down in their minds.... but the major manufacturers haven't got as much personal effort invested and have more of a desire for mass market appeal.

But then maybe I am just biased in thinking we would be qualified for such a service when the manufacturers have a whole FB land full of ass kissers.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Distiller

• New User
Reply #40 on: October 14, 2017, 12:31:23 PM
Interesting conversation.

In the world of CAD, 3D printing, CNC it wouldn't take years and a tonne of money to develop and produce something.

It looks like there are lots of people on this forum who have lots of good ideas.  I see the R&D bit is kind of a commercial thing.  I have a few good ideas on multitools but with no interest or time to really do anything with it.  Good ideas are easy.  Pushing a good idea into reality is a big process.

Has this forum had a fantasy multitool thread?  Might be fun.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 14, 2017, 01:54:38 PM
After all of these years I am surprised we aren't seeing manufacturers come us more for testing and evaluation.

Look at the two threads for least and most favorite SAK tools: I think we in total  list pretty much every available tool in both threads.  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: October 14, 2017, 05:15:22 PM

Look at the two threads for least and most favorite SAK tools: I think we in total  list pretty much every available tool in both threads.  :D

That's why I didn't criticise the tool set on this one. I have no need of a feeler gauge, but I am sure some people will welcome the addition. I do like the pick-up tool though, and the plain edged blade. My main issues on this are the impeded gripping area (cutters encroaching on the arc on large teeth), and in-hand comfort. Aside from that, I think it's a good looking tool which does well in respect of being legal to carry in many places globally.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #43 on: October 14, 2017, 07:34:14 PM
You people keep talking about the handle shape, and I didnt even really look close at it, but now that I have it does seem odd.

I'd still buy one though. 

crkt.jpg
* crkt.jpg (Filesize: 134.39 KB)
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: October 14, 2017, 08:54:04 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #45 on: October 14, 2017, 09:59:57 PM
You people keep talking about the handle shape, and I didnt even really look close at it, but now that I have it does seem odd.
Funny how that's what you immediately thought of...  :pok:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #46 on: October 15, 2017, 12:57:31 AM
So uh, what's the scraper made of? Not to be a downer (because I actually love CRKT as a company), but if the gasket scraper is steel, it's partially compromised, seeing as it can't be used on aluminum engine blocks.

Otherwise, it looks great. I like the magnetic pickup tool, it makes perfect sense for a mechanic to just have on them. Now I can get my 10mm sockets out of the engine bay without going back to the toolbox.

Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #47 on: December 31, 2017, 05:17:22 AM
Looks like a great tool for our members with restrictive knife laws but the non locking tools are a deal breaker for me on a tool this large.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 02:56:48 PM
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 04:34:27 PM
OK it still looks good and the video (thanks for it9 is straight to the point, but...

- the peeler and chisel look like they could easily fold on you and cause serious harm. Yes, be sensible and use common sense with slip joints, don't twist etc. but these look like a dangerous thing to me  :P
- nice on the OHO slipjoint blade for an all legal tool, but it doesn't help that the blade is opened with two hands in the video and then fiddled with (semi folded) with the use of both hands...again  :facepalm:
- detent seems too strong? at least there is no clumping. And opening the tool... it needs some oiling and breaking in I guess, in the video looks difficult and too stiff overall
- liners, G10 and tools  construction makes t way too thick, especially considering the nr. of functions it provides
- sheath is exactly like the Ganzo ones = super thick and bulky yet not so durable (stitching) and not allowing for side add-ons, lateral pockets (AAA light, pen...) or anything else  :-\
- price is exaggerated. Look for instance at the SOG 2018 Offerings and compare, or even with current production tools from Gerber or LM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 13, 2018, 01:49:43 AM
Nice to see some variety on the tools - main complaint would be that it looks very thick for the number of tools, that is I suppose to do with the bit driver and magnetic pick up tool.

Also, once someone has done a hands on test, I would be interested to know how much pressure you can put on the handles when using the pliers, it looks like they would dig into your hands.

If they were going with a non-standard shape of the handles, surely it would have made sense to copy the spirit handles, which curve towards each other when in pliers mode, so they are closer together and easier to use even when the pliers are open.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #51 on: January 13, 2018, 05:16:15 AM
I'm on the same page as a lot of you guys with this one.

Things I like;

Textured G10 handle scales
Magnetic pickup tool (use those things all the time)
Chisel
Outside opening tools
One-hand opening blade

Things I don't like;

Bulk to versatility ratio
Feeler gauge (I just never need one of these, personally)
Apparent stiffness of pliers deployment. Though this could be a non-issue with lube and/or work
Two-sided file. Three is better, but I tolerate this on other tools, so it's not a deal breaker

Things I'm unsure about;

Ergonomics
No locking tools

Definitely a couple cool ideas here. I'll be keen to see some reviews.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #52 on: January 13, 2018, 05:56:19 AM
I would have liked to see the person be more familiar with the tool.
It looked stiff, and he could have fully closed an implement before deploying the next. The blade did not look one-handed to me.
I do not mind non-locking blades, saws, files, but implements which you use by pushing the  tip against something, like screwdrivers, chisels, or awls, those need to at least have good retention.
I do not like the bottle opener placement, or even the inclusion of it. Why bother?

I do not like the handle shape and splay. I hope the field test it and tweak things a bit and have an awesome MT upon release.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #53 on: January 13, 2018, 01:16:45 PM
It looked stiff, and he could have fully closed an implement before deploying the next. The blade did not look one-handed to me.

I do not mind non-locking blades, saws, files, but implements which you use by pushing the  tip against something, like screwdrivers, chisels, or awls, those need to at least have good retention.
I do not like the bottle opener placement, or even the inclusion of it. Why bother?

I do not like the handle shape and splay. I hope the field test it and tweak things a bit and have an awesome MT upon release.

Yeah, that demo video was clearly not very well thought out. Also, forgot to mention it in my list, but you're right about the bottle opener. Terrible placement and an obvious afterthought. "Everything needs a bottle opener!"
I'm hoping the whole thing turns out to be more wieldy and ergonomic in person, which would go a long way to securing it decent sales.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: January 13, 2018, 01:18:01 PM

you and I think alike.

Pushing/thrusting a sharp thing without lock or strong detent is a problem waiting to happen    :-[
The OHO blade might be openable with a single hand but then I'd expect the (official advertisement) video to show that it can be done   :ahhh
you usually show one thing at a time, if you pull other stuff out they are in the way and difficult the vision and analysis of the individual implement and how it works, its space efficiency, its size, etc.

the MT might be super, but the video is poorly done and looks unprepared, like the person had never even seen the tool before
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #55 on: January 13, 2018, 02:25:24 PM
Watched the video again, and I have more concerns.
This is just under 4.5" long and looks thick. Basically the size of a Supertool 300/Surge. Should there not be more tools in the handles?

At $89.99, this is a bit up there for what it offers. I paid $88 for a Surge.

Also, the telescoping magnet seems too short.
Based on the video, it expands to 5". That's a bit stubby. Maybe it is not expanded to its full length, but it does not seem to expand much more.

The only telescoping thing on a multi-tool that comes to mind is the pointer on the Wenger SAKs. That extends to 12" which is significant.
My dedicated telescoping magnet is 4.5" long and extends to 20" not counting its length when retracted.
My second one is 7" retracted, and extends to an additional 24".
As it is, it is not an implement I am excited to see on this MT.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: January 14, 2018, 05:58:17 PM
Watched the video again, and I have more concerns.
This is just under 4.5" long and looks thick. Basically the size of a Supertool 300/Surge. Should there not be more tools in the handles?

At $89.99, this is a bit up there for what it offers. I paid $88 for a Surge.

Also, the telescoping magnet seems too short.
Based on the video, it expands to 5". That's a bit stubby. Maybe it is not expanded to its full length, but it does not seem to expand much more.
(Image removed from quote.)

The only telescoping thing on a multi-tool that comes to mind is the pointer on the Wenger SAKs. That extends to 12" which is significant.
My dedicated telescoping magnet is 4.5" long and extends to 20" not counting its length when retracted.
My second one is 7" retracted, and extends to an additional 24".
As it is, it is not an implement I am excited to see on this MT.

I was also deceived by its length. All my telescoping pointers, magnets or instruments (loupes) seem like they'd give a much greater length for that sized rod/barrel when fully deployed   :think:

also the price seems a bit steep compared to current offerings or 2018 releases from other companies. Generally speaking CRKT is known for doing original albeit budget/inexpensive tools and knives, usually not in the same category as products from brands speSmurfpillsed in tools or knives
My toys:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #57 on: January 25, 2018, 01:38:34 AM
Received my Technician today, very interesting tool for sure. First off the bat,  I thought dang this thing is a beast. This is by no means a small tool or a tool for people with small hands.

I don't own a surge anymore but it feels like a boat anchor. I like the G10 handles but the shape of them is awkward as heck. Closed isn't too bad but open is not that comfortable, that hump digs into my hand/fingers. Pliers are really big but mine have play in them, not sure how bad it will effect usage. I tried them on a coat hanger and it passed. Failed to cut paper/card stock though. Also checked out the feeler gauge because I didn't know they would do this one in a multitool. When researching feeler gauges online they make different sizes, all together in a kit. This one is a ramp with measurements in milimeters. Rather than inserting into a gap to check width you would have to slide in the gauge at the edge of the gap sideways.

Knife opens fairly easy, extremely sharp. File seems useless like some SOG tools we have complained about. Cord cutter may work but doesn't seem that sharp. Chisel seems pretty nice and look forward to using it. Driver is nice, wish it came with more available as a bit kit. Comes with a #2 phillips and a #1 flat.

The telescopic magnetic pickup is cool and has a strong magnet in it, just wish it had a longer reach. All this is very preliminary and I'm likely to change my opinions when I get to testing it out.

It's late and I don't have good lighting but I took a couple pictures. Of the size, pliers and feeler gauge.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #58 on: January 25, 2018, 02:01:29 AM
the handle shape combined with G10 looks very uncomfortable

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #59 on: January 25, 2018, 04:25:21 AM
As much as I like Glenn and love his skeletool, that pos is just awful.
Played with for a few minutes and I had enough.  :td:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80