Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let me see your homemade sheaths!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: Let me see your homemade sheaths!
Reply #420 on: December 21, 2020, 08:03:12 PM
Very functional, great work!  :like:
It sure is, thanks!
Excellent work Kotty  :like:
Thanks!
Very nice job! And very true, I bought a super cool flashlight was waaay more powerful then a aa maglite, and I liked combo sheaths, only problem was my sheath wouldn’t fit it, so the night I got home I spent like 4hrs making that one way to the left, not the best but it worked, it held what I needed, the wife was mad cause I had work the next day and I was up till like 12am, I so wanted a leather sheath but knew nothing about them nor did I have money to buy a custom one, so I looked into it and made that next piece of junk, very ugly but then again it worked, learned a few things and liked the concept of a pancake, so that’s what I went with, so I made the middle one, that middle one had to have seen a good 5yrs of field work, was even in my accident, the last two I just decided to make because I was bored, the last is for my sak, but the unique thing about that one is it’s not dyed with like rits, I found some way with I think vinegar and rust, stunk like wow, I kept it in the window between the window and the screen to get it to lose some of the stench, before moving to the next step and assembling it, I’ll admit there not the best looking but they did the job and I kept learning!!
JR
Thanks! And the same to you!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #421 on: December 28, 2020, 01:32:17 AM
Here's mine!  It works well with a 108mm GAK and a Minimag Flashlight.
IMG_20201227_193131.jpg
* IMG_20201227_193131.jpg (Filesize: 213.45 KB)
Barry

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #422 on: December 28, 2020, 09:47:01 AM
Looks great!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #423 on: December 28, 2020, 10:05:05 AM
Here's mine!  It works well with a 108mm GAK and a Minimag Flashlight.

That looks great Barry  :like:  :like:

... is that from the set you've got for Christmas?

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #424 on: February 15, 2021, 05:44:40 PM
A couple of homemade belt sheaths for my Fieldmaster and Forester. The bigger Forester sheath has a space in the back for two DMT sharpening cards and loops for a ferro rod and aaa flashlight. The two sheaths are wet formed and stitched up with the inner strands of paracord and both are treated with bees wax to seal. They both have great retention.

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #425 on: February 15, 2021, 06:26:55 PM
Here’s another of my creations. Both the knife and sheath. The knife is made from O1 tool steel with a handle made from Cocobolo. Flat ground with a cold blue finish to give it the patina look. The sheath is made as a scout carry with a ferro rod incorperated. Right hand draw.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #426 on: February 15, 2021, 06:56:52 PM
Wow... awesome work Tinner  :like:

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #427 on: February 15, 2021, 07:12:22 PM
Wow... awesome work Tinner  :like:

Thanks McStitchy :cheers:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #428 on: February 15, 2021, 07:19:16 PM
I’ve been working on one but kinda been busy, I even came up with my own stamp, took a bolt and did some work because I wanted something unique and not just a J.R. I wanted something of my own symbol and I’ve joined my JR together now for idk how long? So there my first attempt, I kinda like it,, the sheath, ahh, I’m not to thrilled,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #429 on: February 15, 2021, 07:36:54 PM
Looking great JR  :like:

... looking forward to the finished product  :popcorn:

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #430 on: February 15, 2021, 07:39:26 PM
 :like: That stamp is cool. :hatsoff: I may have to steal your idea and try my hand at making my own.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #431 on: February 15, 2021, 08:15:56 PM
:like: That stamp is cool. :hatsoff: I may have to steal your idea and try my hand at making my own.
Believe it or not it wasn’t hard, well, if you have a Dremel/rotary tool,
The hard part was
1, finding a bolt, I had to run out to the freezing garage, I found one but it was all old and rusty, but I turned around and saw a box and there were 4 brand new one in it and I was like SCORE :woohoo: :woohoo:
2, then making the layout, cause it has to be backwards, so I drew it with a marker on a piece of paper, once I got the just right I circled it and flipped the paper over, thus giving me the backwards layout,,
3, and lastly and the most annoying, matching the symbol to the paper, you’d get close and go over to the mirror to check, and naa, and of course marker doesn’t come off so you scribble really good all over the metal then wipe it really fast it comes right off! So after about 30min of fiddling I got a good match that I was pleased with,,

The rest is fun, get the tool out and just don’t hit the marker! After its deep enough clean it up and your set, your suppose to stick it in a oven thingy and get it blazing red then dump it in water to harden it but I’m not using this thing to stamp metal, just leather.. so no point..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #432 on: February 15, 2021, 08:21:24 PM
Thanks for the hints. Mine should be easy to make as my initials are MW. Upside down, backwards, forwards, same same lol. As long as I don’t get too fancy. I’m sure I’ll still find a way to mess it up.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #433 on: February 15, 2021, 08:50:16 PM
Thanks for the hints. Mine should be easy to make as my initials are MW. Upside down, backwards, forwards, same same lol. As long as I don’t get too fancy. I’m sure I’ll still find a way to mess it up.
Well the nice thing with the bolt is if you screw up you can just file it flat and do it over, but only one or two times,, getting into the M or W you might be better off with a very small square file and just work the angles / \ / \ util you get the letters made, because a rotary tools going to be round, unless you use a disk and cut like a saw,, all depends on how you want to make it?
/\/\
\/\/
/\/\\/\/
/\/\/\/? Or something like this, it all depends on what you got going on, if you need any help or ideas don’t hesitate!
JR

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #434 on: February 15, 2021, 09:21:23 PM
When I mark my tools at work for identification I use M , with all the legs touching
                                                                                   W

I do like the overlapped version you drew though. What are you using to press it into the leather? Arbour press? I have one, but it is rather large, that I use for pressing out bearings and such on my ATV.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #435 on: February 15, 2021, 09:56:06 PM
When I mark my tools at work for identification I use M , with all the legs touching
                                                                                   W

I do like the overlapped version you drew though. What are you using to press it into the leather? Arbour press? I have one, but it is rather large, that I use for pressing out bearings and such on my ATV.
So something like this? To stamp the mark? I just hit the bolt with a hammer, or do you mean to make the sheath?
JR

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #436 on: February 15, 2021, 10:37:21 PM
So something like this? To stamp the mark? I just hit the bolt with a hammer, or do you mean to make the sheath?
JR

Yes, like that minus the horizontal line. Two diamonds side by side.

And yes, to stamp the mark. I have seen a few videos with guys putting their makers mark on leather products with a stamp in an arbour press. I just assumed that there was a requirement to hold pressure on the stamp for a bit to set the image. If whacking it with a hammer works, well, I am a pro at hitting stuff with hammers lol.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #437 on: February 15, 2021, 10:49:14 PM
Yes, like that minus the horizontal line. Two diamonds side by side.

And yes, to stamp the mark. I have seen a few videos with guys putting their makers mark on leather products with a stamp in an arbour press. I just assumed that there was a requirement to hold pressure on the stamp for a bit to set the image. If whacking it with a hammer works, well, I am a pro at hitting stuff with hammers lol.
Nope, leather needs to be a little damp, line it up as to where you want it and give it a good hit with a hammer! Your done,, if the stamp isn’t deep enough you gotta get the stamp back into its little grove and make sure you don’t double stamp it, but then just tap it again until you get the right depth, if you over strike it then well it’s going to be a little too deep.. I mean as far as a press the closest thing I’ve used are clamps, in order to make the sheath I posted I took two pieces of wood, made a cut to fit the knife, then put the leather over the knife and clamped the two pieces together stretching the leather out in order to fit the knife, then used the same setup to clamp the two pieces of leather when gluing, here’s a quick show of how,
JR

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #438 on: February 15, 2021, 11:01:45 PM
That is how I wet formed both the Victorinox sheaths in the above pictures. I screwed a piece of wood protruding off my bench so I could clamp the three closed sides. Wrapped the knife tightly with saran wrap and worked thleather into the profile of the knife with a piece of rounded off dowel.

I think I found the basis for my stamp. Should work nicely. Have a 7/8” bolt around somewhere but in the abyss that is my shop.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #439 on: February 15, 2021, 11:09:22 PM
Yeah I tried forming and stretching leather a few times that way but I just never could do it, but getting a form and just stepping on it or clamping it down worked for me!
JR

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #440 on: February 16, 2021, 12:56:45 PM
Looks like I need to correct myself after browsing the SAKwiki. What I though I had was a Forester, when in fact it is a Rucksack as it has the sidelock. Discountinued in 2016 and replaced with the Forester which is a liner lock.

Offline Jpac

Reply #441 on: February 16, 2021, 01:09:30 PM
Here’s another of my creations. Both the knife and sheath. The knife is made from O1 tool steel with a handle made from Cocobolo. Flat ground with a cold blue finish to give it the patina look. The sheath is made as a scout carry with a ferro rod incorperated. Right hand draw.
:like: Both sheath and knife look great!

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #442 on: February 16, 2021, 01:39:10 PM
:like: Both sheath and knife look great!

Thanks Jpac! I didn’t quite get the heat treat right but it sharpens up razor sharp. Just doesn’t hold an edge as long as I would like. I’ve used it to skin a few deer and a coyote and the shape is very useful.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #443 on: June 25, 2021, 07:10:56 AM
Made these sheaths for my EDC knipex duo not long ago :
The diagonal cutter needs the little elastic band to keep the sheath on, the Cobra XS doesn't, thanks to it shape.
768_KnipexEDC.jpg
* 768_KnipexEDC.jpg (Filesize: 392.42 KB)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #444 on: June 26, 2021, 04:34:17 AM

Cool!   :like:
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Jpac

Reply #445 on: June 30, 2021, 03:47:14 PM
The diagonal cutter needs the little elastic band to keep the sheath on, the Cobra XS doesn't, thanks to it shape.
:iagree: :like: :like: :like:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #446 on: June 30, 2021, 04:36:35 PM

Those look great, well done!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #447 on: June 30, 2021, 05:02:20 PM
Excellent work and cool idea m47mu74nt   :like:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #448 on: July 01, 2021, 04:19:17 AM
Thanks all :-)
Main goal was "not to destroy" my EDC handbag with pliers heads
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #449 on: July 08, 2021, 09:56:32 PM
I have been looking at the Leatherman bit adaptor for my rebar for a long time but I think it's a bit expensive for what you get. I don't need bits with my MT that often and when I know I need it I just get a proper driver.. But then it's the time when I do need it.
Then I remember an old bacho branded MT that lives in my car and that I already have a bit adapter that fits most multitools I have. But I don't want to put that in my pocket unguarded.. So I made this last night when wife was away and the kids had their screentime

Nice and snug fit with the bits I use the most. It does look a bit wonky when the bits are in but the lines was perfectly straight when I made it. Looks worse in the pics but it still does the job

Don't know why it came out sideways but that's alright, we can pretend I did it on purpose

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD