Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lack of views on the website

us Offline Enginears

Lack of views on the website
on: November 29, 2023, 05:21:44 PM
Does anyone else find the Vic site displays  a weird combination of views of their knives? 

A lot of the time they will have two shots of the front of the knife, or like on the Pioneerx they show two of the same angle but the blade is moved slightly. It pretty much never shows a side view with the tools closed, or an angle shot that shows the thickness.

This is not a big callout or serious issue, it’s just something funny I think about pretty much every time I am looking at knives in the official site.  Am I the only one who wants to see a side profile rather than multiple head on shots with the blade open and closed?

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Lack of views on the website
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 09:02:18 PM
Hi Enginears,
      Take one of your Vics and do a little 2 or 3 photo layout for us.  Show how you think it should be done.  I know you take great pics.  We don't need a professional job, just a 'more like this' Enginears viewpoint.  How about it?  Best wishes.  G
 :hatsoff:

us Offline Enginears

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 11:24:47 PM
Hey G,

I almost added some suggested angles to start, but since you asked I tried to make them on a white background so they look more catalog style and less like a lifestyle placement shot.  Ended up looking a little funny, but the angles are there. 
FullSizeRender-compressed.jpg
* FullSizeRender-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 13.85 KB)

FullSizeRender(2)-compressed.jpg
* FullSizeRender(2)-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 11.32 KB)

FullSizeRender(1)-compressed.jpg
* FullSizeRender(1)-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 8.99 KB)

* FullSizeRender-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 19.27 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 12:20:16 AM
    I like the photos.  It does give a potential buyer a better idea of how bulky the SAK will be.  In addition to the usual tool spread photo as well the other views could be good.  Best wishes.  G
 :tu:

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 06:47:11 AM
Youtube video's are a good reference for SAK's

us Online AzteCypher

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 07:07:00 AM
I noticed that about the Vic website.  I wanted to see different angles, backside, etc, like you've demonstrated with your pictures.  I guess it's just easier if they stick with one side.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 01:46:02 PM
I think Vic is just kind of lazy when it comes to putting up different views.

Many other manufacturers and dealers are guilty of the same.

It probably bothers me less with Vic than with others, because I I already have a solid idea of what, say, a 91 mm SAK looks like, so the only major variables then are height/thickness and weight, which are listed in the specs.  I’d also add that SAKwiki is your friend when it comes to finding pics.  Or, of course, you can always ask here for any SAK pics or comparison shots, and someone will probably oblige.

In keeping with the idea of minor irritations about the way knives are listed for sale, I’ve noticed a trend of leading with the overall (open) length.  This is has to be one of the most useless pieces of information imaginable.  Blade length is important, as it often gives the first indication of whether the knife will be suitable for the tasks you want it for, and some jurisdictions unfortunately have blade length limits.  Closed/handle length is important, as it gives perhaps a first indication of pocketability.  It also gives an idea of how the knife may fit in hand, e.g. will you able to get two, three, or four fingers on the handle, will the handle stick out of your hand significantly, etc.  Overall/open length is incidental.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 12:07:15 AM
Aren't we reasonably sure that Vic doesn't even use real pics for a lot of them? Just photoshoppy mockups?

us Offline Enginears

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 07:15:54 AM
Aren't we reasonably sure that Vic doesn't even use real pics for a lot of them? Just photoshoppy mockups?

Yeah I am noticing that, most are probably a front scale with certain tools edited in for the different models.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 05:40:12 PM
Yeah I am noticing that, most are probably a front scale with certain tools edited in for the different models.

That goes well with the AI written copy. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%