Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Showcase: Mods to plier-based multitools

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Showcase: Mods to plier-based multitools
on: November 13, 2017, 03:05:49 PM
- Do you own a plier-based multitool and wish it looked better, or that it could do more for you?
- Have you considered or tried modding it, but do you lack ideas and/or has inspiration run dry?
- Do you have specific knowledge and experience to share regarding modding such tools?

Fear not - the answer is right here in this thread!

The aim of this thread is to become a centralised compendium of modifications to plier-based multitools and of the resulting modded multitools. There is a related thread limited to Leatherman hacks, however I have found quite a few separate threads regarding Leatherman mods in the Mod Squad board which are not included in that central thread. Also, for one I don't necessarily want this thread to be limited to Leatherman tools per se, and in addition I have reason to believe one should not necessarily limit oneself to one tool make when modding - cross-pollination, i.e. using tools from one make in other makes, may be a good solution to specific modding requirements as well. Hence my inclination to include all plier-based multitools in this thread. Most of these have in common that they are screwed together, and simply undoing the screws will lay the full expanse of the realm of modding at your feet!

Disambiguation:
Modding Swiss Army Knives is a specific branch of modding and requires access to speSmurfpillst tools and abilities of a slightly different kind, more fully described elsewhere, than those needed for plier-based multitools, which can usually simply be unscrewed for modding. For the specifc aspects relating to modifications to Swiss Army Knives, please refer to the following threads:
- Bladeless SAK mods
- SAK modding guides
- Show off your SAK mods

Rules:
Ideally the showcases should include overview-type pictures of the multitool with preferably all tools and functions, or at least the non-stock ones, extended or otherwise exposed. Catalog-type pictures are preferred since these do not distract from the main content, namely the modifications, but there is no objection to pictures in nice photogenic settings, especially if the non-stock tools are shown in action. Detail close-ups may of course be added.
A short description of what it is that distinguishes the modded multitool from a stock one should preferably be provided. Any tools whose origin cannot immediately be identified from the picture should preferably be identified separately.
If a separate post or thread already exists having the particular modded multitool or a particular mod as main topic, a link to any such thread should be preferably added as well.

I suggest we use a common template for the basic information. Such as:

Tool Name: (how the modder refers to his tool...)
Basis:
Aim:
Mods:
Links:

I'll start with an example...

Tool Name: Leatherman Supertool 300 VX
Basis: Leatherman Supertool 300
Aim: rendering it more versatile
Mods: removed the fixed Phillips, the small and medium flat screwdrivers, the saw and the file; ground down the awl to make it narrower; ground a small indent into the wide flat screwdriver to make a mini pry-bar; inserted a blade exchanger from a LM ST 300 EOD, a saw/file blade exchanger from a Surge, a pair of scissors from a LM Wave and a bit driver from a Surge in the handles as well as attaching a small bit driver (heavily ground down) from an older Surge externally at the plier pivot using a (new) Wave pivot and a ground down washer, and sticking onto the handles two self-made 3d printed black plastic ABS tweezers/toothpick holders to house (currently) the longer version of the Victorinox tweezers and the Victorinox toothpick (plus in future maybe a Firefly ferro rod or two).
Links: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73762.msg1548050.html#msg1548050

As part of today's carry:

Together with its smaller brother Rebar VX (see a future post in this thread):

Hope y'awl like the idea. Any feedback appreciated :tu:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:28:28 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Showcase: Mods to plier-based multitools
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 03:37:30 PM
Great idea DT! Sweet mods too.  :salute:

Tool Name: MP400 Bladeless
Basis: Gerber MP400
Aim: Making it UK legal
Mods: Blade removed. Woodsaw from Gerber Suspension added. Also metal file from MP600 added. 1/4 inch hex bit modded to fit philips driver. Full tool compliment: Pliers, wood saw, metal file, cap lifter, scissors, philips driver, large, medium and small flathead drivers.
Links:https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74593.msg0.html#new
WP_20171005_009.jpg
* WP_20171005_009.jpg (Filesize: 302.96 KB)
WP_20170921_018.jpg
* WP_20170921_018.jpg (Filesize: 273.89 KB)
WP_20170921_019.jpg
* WP_20170921_019.jpg (Filesize: 259.18 KB)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:30:57 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:18:01 PM
Awarded.   :tu:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 07:51:19 PM
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 07:56:28 PM

Mods: Blade removed. Woodsaw from Gerber Suspension added. Also metal file from MP600 added. 1/4 inch hex bit modded to fit philips driver. Full tool compliment: Pliers, wood saw, metal file, cap lifter, scissors, philips driver, large, medium and small flathead drivers.

Thanks magentus! :cheers:
Perfection would be attained by adding at least a pic or two ;) :pok: :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 08:08:03 PM
 :like: :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:31:37 PM

Donzo!  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:58:47 PM

Donzo!  :salute:
Ta guv' :cheers:

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:37:47 PM
 :like: :like:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:50 AM
G'Day,

This is a cool idea  :cheers:

Tool Name: PST with saw
Basis: Leatherman PST
Aim: To make the tool 100% Aussie carry legal, and to see if it can be done.
Mods: Added a SOG saw where the blade used to be
Links: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48498.msg1460541.html#msg1460541

Pete
Both_Sides_Open_Tools.JPG
* Both_Sides_Open_Tools.JPG (Filesize: 117.36 KB)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:51:50 AM
Tool Name: Leatherman Rebar VX
Basis: Leatherman Rebar
Aim: rendering it more versatile (inspired by the ST 300 VX above)
Mods: removed the lanyard ring, a washer, the fixed Phillips and the small flat screwdriver, and inserted a pair of scissors and a small and a large bit driver from a LM Wave in the handles. Some minor adjustments planned to the awl (thinning) and the wide flat screwdriver (pry bar notch). Am also considering replacing the file with a diamond version... I have a ST 300 file lying about but that will require quite some grinding.
Links: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51510.msg1577627.html#msg1577627 - note: tools reordered since I tooks the pics in the linked post; see pic below for current status.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 08:53:06 AM
G'Day,

This is a cool idea  :cheers:

Tool Name: PST with saw
Basis: Leatherman PST
Aim: To make the tool 100% Aussie carry legal, and to see if it can be done.
Mods: Added a SOG saw where the blade used to be
Links: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48498.msg1460541.html#msg1460541

Pete

Nice... did you have to do anything to the saw to make it fit (drilling, grinding/filing)?
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:56 AM
G'Day

Tool Name: A Workers Flair
Basis: Leatherman Flair
Aim: To add a file where the cork screw used to be. The tool had a broken cork screw and I had an idea to fill the gap with a PST II file. Same thickness and length was not a problem.
Mods: Added a PST II file into the space where the cork screw is on a Leatherman Flair
Links: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56229.msg995199.html#msg995199

Pete
IMGP1742.JPG
* IMGP1742.JPG (Filesize: 185.68 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 09:03:06 AM
Nice... did you have to do anything to the saw to make it fit (drilling, grinding/filing)?

Thanks,

Yes I had to sand some of the top and the bottom to enable the tool to close completely. About 1,5mm from the bottom and 1mm from the top. The pivot hole is the same as the Leatherman tools. That was it.

Pete

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 09:11:05 AM
Last one. ;)

Tool Name: Leatherman LBT (Lunch Box Tool)
Basis: Chassis is Leatherman PST, inside tools are a combination of the Leatherman PST, PST II and Flair
Aim: To build a Leatherman that I can prepare and eat lunch with.
Mods: I added a pate knife and a cocktail fork from a Flair into a PST chassis to eat lunch with. Added the PST blade to prepare lunch with and then filled the gaps with a scissors, can opener and some screw drivers.
Links: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42637.msg683928.html#msg683928

Cheers, Pete

LBT2.JPG
* LBT2.JPG (Filesize: 156.6 KB)
LBT1.JPG
* LBT1.JPG (Filesize: 236.55 KB)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:56 AM
Nice, thanks Pete :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 10:27:10 PM
Nice ones Pete !  :like: :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 10:43:24 PM
Tool Name: Leatherman Rebar / Diamond file mod
Basis: Chassis is Leatherman Rebar,  file from a LM Wave or PST II
Aim: To add a Diamond file to the Rebar
Mods: Use a Wave file and re-profile to fit Rebar later tried a PST file as proof of concept
Links:https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67481.msg1309095.html#msg1309095

DSC09262_zpsubsxdi0b by SteveC, on Flickr

PST II file

DSC09622_zpsjbsejimp by SteveC, on Flickr

DSC09630_zps34macmvk by SteveC, on Flickr

Offline G_D

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 10:49:34 PM
Excellent mods! Would like to see even more of them  :tu:  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 11:29:04 PM
Great idea for a thread DT :like:

So many great mods so far :dd:

I will try and add to this one as well and would love to see even more members do the same :dd: :like:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 08:07:53 AM
Tool Name: Leatherman Rebar / Diamond file mod
Basis: Chassis is Leatherman Rebar,  file from a LM Wave or PST II
Aim: To add a Diamond file to the Rebar
Mods: Use a Wave file and re-profile to fit Rebar later tried a PST file as proof of concept
Links:https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67481.msg1309095.html#msg1309095

DSC09262_zpsubsxdi0b by SteveC, on Flickr

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Now that is one great mod I might try to adopt too for my Rebar - I checked but the ST 300 file I have lying about is not diamond and that would be an excellent addition. Thanks Steve for the detailed pics :tu:
One Two Three questions - what did you use on the hard file material? Would a diamond cutting disk on a Dremel work? Did you add a nail nick or could you access the existing one well?

Thanks for the encouragement Ponch :tu: Am I right in guessing the Wave file above has found its way into your Rebar?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:13:35 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 04:25:20 PM
Tool Name: Learherman Surge R (acronym for Ruggedised)
Basis: Leatherman Surge
Aim: Ruggedise the Surge by replacing the versatile, but fiddly and loss-prone, bit driver. I see the Surge R as my tool for situations in which I don't care about the street legality of my carry - in my garden, or at Armageddon. In both cases it must be as rugged as possible. I can still attach a removable bit driver to the fixed Phillips anyway if versatility is called for.
Mods: Took out the bit driver and replaced it with the leftover Phillips from the ST 300 VX (see above). To make the tool close properly I did have to break off the plier head rest tab in the handle. Note this requires utmost care lest you lose spring tension, as the lock spring is actually the same piece of metal as the tab.
Links: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51510.msg1575142.html#msg1575142, https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51510.msg1575357.html#msg1575357

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:57:41 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 06:05:08 PM
Now that is one great mod I might try to adopt too for my Rebar - I checked but the ST 300 file I have lying about is not diamond and that would be an excellent addition. Thanks Steve for the detailed pics :tu:
One Two Three questions - what did you use on the hard file material? Would a diamond cutting disk on a Dremel work? Did you add a nail nick or could you access the existing one well?
I have done some mods with the diamond files. I don't think a diamond cutting disk is necessary... I'm pretty sure I used one of the standard metal cutting discs with my Dremel. I can double check at home tonight. :salute:

great idea for a thread, DT! :tu: I can dig up some of my old mod threads if anyone is interested. :cheers:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 06:12:01 PM
Thanks, and yes please, the more mods the merrier  :D :D
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 08:39:05 PM
I'd be happy to... especially seeing as mods are what got me started here in the first place. :D

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:17 PM
Tool Name: Mini Surge or ReCharge
Basis: Leatherman Wave or Charge, with parts from the Rebar and Wingman
Aim: to incorporate the Rebar plier head with replaceable cutters into the Wave/Charge platform, and give people exactly the tool loadout they want on a Wave (or Charge) :D
Mods: This mod can be done with either the Wave or the Charge as the main chassis of the tool; I have done both, but most people seem to prefer the Wave. The Mini Surge mod linked below is one that I did for Kampfer, and to give credit where credit is due, he is the one who came up with the "Mini Surge" name for the tool. I have done so many of these mods that I lost count somewhere along the way, but there are plenty of different combinations of tools that can be used with this mod. The pictures below are of Kampfer's Mini Surge (and the "Spare Parts" Rebar), plus a ReCharge mod that I did for someone else.
Links: Kampfer's Mini Surge

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:03:20 PM by Breezy12 »

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 09:23:28 PM
Tool Name: Skinny Charge
Basis: Leatherman Charge ALX, with parts from the Rebar and Wingman
Aim: to create a slimmer version of the Charge
Mods: I did this mod for myself after becoming frustrated in the lab at work and not being able to find the tools I needed. ;) I normally EDC a Skeletool CX, so I wanted a slimmer version of the Charge with the tool loadout optimized for what I need in the lab on a regular basis. Thinned out the chassis and removed two of the external tools and added Wingman scissors. Kept the original internal tool loadout, but changed the bits in the bit driver. Added the Rebar plier head as well.
Links: Breezy's Skinny Charge

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:28:44 PM by Breezy12 »

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 09:34:26 PM
Tool Name: Mini Surge 2.0
Basis: Leatherman Wave, with parts from the Rebar and Surge, along with Vic 91mm scissors
Aim: to fit the Surge Blade Exchanger onto a Wave chassis
Mods: I took the original Mini Surge mod a step further buy adding a cutout in the Wave handle to accommodate the blade exchanger from a Surge. I used Vic 91mm scissors on this one instead of the Wingman scissors.
Links: Mini Surge 2.0

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 09:51:20 PM
Beautiful mods Breezy, thanks for sharing summaries and pics :2tu: (had seen one or two before)
:cheers:

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 10:01:19 PM
Beautiful mods Breezy, thanks for sharing summaries and pics :2tu: (had seen one or two before)
:cheers:

+1 Lot of excellent work Breezy :drool: Again this is an awesome thread DT :like: and yes that might be my diamond file in one of my Rebar's now :whistle: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%