Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Guess what this is

Dunc · 11 · 2933

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Guess what this is
on: February 10, 2007, 01:03:46 PM
I've posted this in here because its not a multitool .Please dont post early if you genuinely know what it is , let the others have a go . I once done this on another forum a while ago and got some great answers   :D

Dunc

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Re: Guess what this is
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 02:33:15 PM
Hmm, never seen one like that before.  The sheath looks like the ones on a simple boxcutter and the parts on the handle look like the might have to be squeezed to release the knife from the sheath.  Odd shape for the blade as well...  I'm guessing it's some kind of cardboard cutting knife? ???  I wish I had a pic of the knife I was issued as a bin filler at JCPenneys, it looked like a wooden handled butter knife with a flat tip(so as not to damage the merchandise as we opened up and broke down the boxes).

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 05:24:33 PM
The two metal things on the handle look like you push them in to release it from the metal pin on the sheath that fits into the hole on the handle.   Does that make sense?

Is it some kind of spring loaded projectile knife?  If the blade wasn't curved, I'd have that as my answer..
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 05:51:04 PM
yes your quite right , the springs on the side of the handle are used to release it from the metal sheath . Both springs have to be depressed at the same time to make them work .Heres a clue .Its very specialized use and has to be secured very well . This thing musnt be able to come loose .

Dunc

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 06:01:19 PM
Hello,
New guy here. This will be my first post as I just couldn't resist. Ok, looks like it has a textured grip which might come in handy in or around water. The sheath also looks like it's designed to drain. Is it some kind of dive knife/tool?

mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 06:12:05 PM
That's a good guess, but it doesn't look like any dive knife I've seen.

It's mounted to something.

It has to be secure.

It has a curved blade like a rescue tool.

It's hard to tell it's age - could be up to 40 years old or so, except that the stamped numbers on the sheath look newer.

Nautical seems to be a good guess - maybe from a carrier or submarine in some place where there's a need to cut something akin to rope or hose.  You might expect a serrated blade though.

Let's keep guessing.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 06:39:20 PM
Ok , great answers guys . Now it is not carried on or in water but could end up being used in or on water .Date of the knife is 1950's to 1990's

Dunc

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 06:42:12 PM
Is it some sort of pilots knife? So they could cut themselves free in a crash? or for a parachutist? (they might have landed on water)

Roadie
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:54:20 PM by Roadie »
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 06:49:36 PM
Ooh, I like that parachutist theory. It makes sense. I'll jump on that bandwagon until Dunc says otherwise.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 07:12:01 PM
I'm betting more for pilots than parachutists since I still think it has to be mounted.  I guess it could be mounted on a parachute bag though.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 07:38:18 PM
Well done guys  :) Its an RAF pilots survival knife , used to cut yourself out of your harness .It is strapped to your leg upside down inside a sew on patch .It would of had a lenghth of paracord attached so as not to loose it if dropped overboard in a liferaft and thats also one of the reasons it has a rounded tip for use in a liferaft .You have to understand whith Gr. Britain being surrounded by water if your going to crash its a good chance of being over the sea .

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%