Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC using only maglites

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: EDC using only maglites
Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 03:12:48 AM
So I went ahead and just got the 272 lumen AA Pro model without the (+). Got it in grey. What a powerful light! I just can't find the Pro+ in any brick and mortar. Besides, I have the 47 lumen Solitaire, the 60 lumen Surefire, the 100 lumen AAA, and the really old 3 cell D. Who needs a second or third lower setting when I have all of those to choose from?

I also got a Nite Ize L.E.D. / tail switch upgrade. I installed only the tail switch and it didn't work. I don't know if it only works in conjunction with the LED it comes with, or if it just doesn't work with a light that is already more powerful.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 03:37:50 AM
So I went ahead and just got the 272 lumen AA Pro model without the (+). Got it in grey. What a powerful light! I just can't find the Pro+ in any brick and mortar. Besides, I have the 47 lumen Solitaire, the 60 lumen Surefire, the 100 lumen AAA, and the really old 3 cell D. Who needs a second or third lower setting when I have all of those to choose from?

I also got a Nite Ize L.E.D. / tail switch upgrade. I installed only the tail switch and it didn't work. I don't know if it only works in conjunction with the LED it comes with, or if it just doesn't work with a light that is already more powerful.

Was the flashlight head screwed out(maglite on position) when you tried the niteize tail switch? I know you probably tried it, but if it were me, I would have forgotten to do that. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 04:06:21 AM
Right. Maybe I did fall for that little red herring at first, but I soon realized the error. Still nothing. I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe I'm still missing something. The Nite Ize bulb and head yields only about 30 lumen, so if this tail switch is dependent on including that head and bulb, I will abandon it.

Interesting how the LED AA is longer than the incandescent AA by about half an inch. Small price to pay for going from something like 14 lumens to 272.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 04:19:24 AM
Right. Maybe I did fall for that little red herring at first, but I soon realized the error. Still nothing. I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe I'm still missing something. The Nite Ize bulb and head yields only about 30 lumen, so if this tail switch is dependent on including that head and bulb, I will abandon it.

Interesting how the LED AA is longer than the incandescent AA by about half an inch. Small price to pay for going from something like 14 lumens to 272.
Thank you for trying this. The tailswitch would be awesome on 272 lumens!
That particular model is the Maglite that got me back to using Mags again. A truly awesome flashlight.
Good luck on the tailswitch thundah. I am curious to know if it can be used, so I can put a fatter o-ring in the light head to save my beam setting and switch it on from the tail. I am ok with the twist on/off, but the tail switch would be like icing on the cake. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 01:22:52 PM
Mornin fellas.

Just after 7am here and I can report that using just the tail switch of this NiteIze Innovation LED Upgrade Combo II for AA Mini MagLite (purchased at Home Depot) just does not work on the 272 lumen AA Min MagLite Pro. Again, the NiteIze set comes with a 30 lumen bulb and reflector dish and it may work in conjunction with that. I haven't swapped out the bulb and dish because I'm not willing to diminish the light source by some 240 down to a mere 30 lumens just to find out.

It may work for the old school Mini MagLite AA' s, I don't know. Maybe it has to do with the circuitry. The only old-school MiniMaglite I have is NOS NIP bundled with that OG Super Tool, and I can't bring myself to open it for this.

Woods, did you allude to knowing of an MTo member who might be interested in that ST MagLite set?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:24:34 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 01:27:44 PM
Mornin fellas.

Just after 7am here and I can report that using just the tail switch of this NiteIze Innovation LED Upgrade Combo II for AA Mini MagLite (purchased at Home Depot) just does not work on the 272 lumen AA Min MagLite Pro. Again, the NiteIze set comes with a 30 lumen bulb and reflector dish and it may work in conjunction with that. I haven't swapped out the bulb and dish because I'm not willing to diminish the light source by some 240 down to a mere 30 lumens just to find out.

It may work for the old school Mini MagLite AA' s, I don't know. Maybe it has to do with the circuitry. The only old-school MiniMaglite I have is NOS NIP bundled with that OG Super Tool, and I can't bring myself to open it for this.

Woods, did you allude to knowing of an MTo member who might be interested in that ST MagLite set?
The Nite Ize upgrade you got only works for the old ones to upgrade. You will have to get a tail switch that is made for the new 272 lumen one. I got mine off Amazon, but for the life of me, I can't not remember who it was made by.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 02:08:04 PM
Now I remember,  it was made by Terralux.
Nate

SEND IT!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 02:47:46 PM
I have maybe a dozen of flashlights, from button cell to 18650. but if you look at my EDC, you will spot a simple Solitaire LED.
I only take the bulkier ones when I know I need more light as for daily just in case preparedness, I don't need 1000 lumens.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 03:11:23 PM
Thanks for your efforts Thundah! And thank you for the info Ducttape!

I am guessing the niteize conversion Thundah used was a multi-mode tailswitch? That is all I can figure that would make it not connect the end pole of the battery to the light housing to work. There must be some kind of voltage regulator that doesn't work with the higher wattage 272 bulb.

Microbe,
The solitaire LED is a fantastic low weight low cost light and serves most people's needs for sure!
People went a better part of a hundred years with portable lamps that only had a few lumens(I own a 5D cell flashlight from the 1930s that puts out roughly 20lumens), so the solitaire is awesome.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 07:36:31 AM
Ok, so I picked up the 111 lumen 2xAAA, and a red 47 lumen Solitaire.

They are nice. I slid the Solitaire into the side pocket of my Leatherman Surge. The 111 lumen is nice too, although maybe a little thin for its length and I wouldn't mind if the head was also kindled, like on the Solitaire. I will try both of them later during the dog walk.

I tried to compare the brightness and beam to that of my Surefire 60, and then I realized, the batteries in the Surefire are many months old and it is not at its brightest. Will refill the batteries this week and compare again, at the local high school football field to check for distance of beam.

I bought the old triple D cell either in the very late 80's or early 90's. It still works, but the crystal is all scratched up, the bulb never seems to quite focus, and the anodized aluminum is all chipped and scratched up as well. I may do an LED upgrade and purchase a new crystal.

I was going to buy the 272 lumen 2xAA, however, it was $26 at home depot and did not offer multiple brightness settings, which I thought was an option on the 272 lumen...

The Lowe’s in my area has the 272 lumens on sale for $18. Maybe give that a shot.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 03:17:58 PM
$18? Wow! Get two! :like:

I bought two at $25each and don't regret it one bit!

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 23, 2017, 10:18:43 AM
I know right!! I did get one as I needed one to stash for the garage. Amazon does have the pro + for 281 lumens. But I like the simple 1 mode and for what I need 200+ lumens is an overkill.

I actually found the whole lumen thing confusing. Some sites advertise a different lumen than the pics, and the Maglite homepage doesn’t even list the pro plus 281 lumen. Also the runtime for both pro and pro plus at different lumens is the same 2.5 hrs. But I guess the 9 lumen difference doesn’t really make that big of a drain.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: November 24, 2017, 06:19:25 AM
I know right!! I did get one as I needed one to stash for the garage. Amazon does have the pro + for 281 lumens. But I like the simple 1 mode and for what I need 200+ lumens is an overkill.

I actually found the whole lumen thing confusing. Some sites advertise a different lumen than the pics, and the Maglite homepage doesn’t even list the pro plus 281 lumen. Also the runtime for both pro and pro plus at different lumens is the same 2.5 hrs. But I guess the 9 lumen difference doesn’t really make that big of a drain.
I have noticed the inconsistencies on the Lumens you mentioned. Not sure what is up with that. Maybe Maglite has multiple diode vendors with varying outputs per production run. Who knows, but congrats on getting one of the new LED mags!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: November 24, 2017, 06:27:36 AM
Mornin fellas.

Hey Thundah!
I was in Home Depot yesterday and picked up a similar niteize 30lumen upgrade kit for one of my first Mags I ever owned instead of buying a pack of new bulbs.
Before I installed the kit on my old mini, I screwed the tail switch on my 272lumen LED Pro Mini. It works. :think:
The kit I have may be different, so I am not sure if that means anything though. I just wanted to post about it in case it might help you with your Mini Mag.
Here are pics of the LED pro with the tail switch attached and pics of my old 1990s mini equipped with the kit (what a difference!).

Note: my niteize tail switch is ONLY on/off. No multiple setting, so I didn't see any reason it wouldn't work. I plan on picking another kit up for a tail switch on the LED this weekend.
Hope this helps Thundah!
20171123_230857.jpeg
* 20171123_230857.jpeg (Filesize: 77.42 KB)
20171123_231000-1.jpeg
* 20171123_231000-1.jpeg (Filesize: 133.65 KB)
20171123_231124-1.jpeg
* 20171123_231124-1.jpeg (Filesize: 179.98 KB)
20171123_231246-1.jpeg
* 20171123_231246-1.jpeg (Filesize: 111.38 KB)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:32:09 AM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 01, 2017, 11:58:57 AM
Thank you, Gerleather,

Maybe I just got one that happened to fall on the floor or was made Monday morning or Friday afternoon...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 01, 2017, 03:17:23 PM
Yes sir! Anytime!  :cheers:

Anything I can do to help, please let me know! I don't have much to do when I get off work aside from playing with MTs, knives and flashlights. :rofl:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 04, 2017, 06:09:23 AM
B & H Video is selling 6 D LED Maglites with free olight flashlight. Free shipping. Same price as Amazon. Heads up.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%