Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Things I hate in 'Bug Out Bags', or... How to Start an Argument

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Things I hate in 'Bug Out Bags', or... How to Start an Argument
Reply #90 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:35 AM
I actually really like my Ti LMF spork. A full spoon and fork on either end. Zero compromises and pleasant to eat with.

Never having used an LMF spork, they seem a bit clunky. No awkwardness when you use 'em?
Really not actually.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: December 06, 2017, 10:55:23 AM
Oh, and......paracord  :facepalm:

I have a few hanks and I use them a lot..........but not for general cordage.

My favourite is a simple black nylon rope a bit thinner and IMO much more versatile than paracord.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #92 on: December 06, 2017, 05:00:48 PM
The worst I ever saw somebody's legs kicked out from under him was a reply to the dude's BOB gear list, it was rightly pointed out that he would not even be able to carry the load out of the city in which he resided.....  :facepalm:

I have a general goal of my emergency bag in my car not being more than 20 lbs. I know for a certain, tested fact that I can walk 8 miles on a moderate difficulty hiking trail with it on. I assume I can walk a lot farther, but 8 miles was the length of the trail.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: December 06, 2017, 09:03:03 PM
It's used for bankline fishing.

https://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/survival-fishing-techniques-bank-lines/

Oooohhh!! Bank line fishing, now I get it. Thanks for clarifying!

It is also known as mariners cord and was used on ships back in the day. Only then it was natural cordage and tar was used to protect the cord from water and salt.

Yeah, I've heard the mariners cord/twine name come up a couple of times but I thought it to be something different, thanks for the info mate.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:05:54 PM by WWW »

us Offline getahl

Reply #94 on: December 09, 2017, 06:49:57 AM
The Ti Sea to Summit spork that was posted earlier works just dandy in my lunch pail for work. Its companions are a bright orange paring knife, with cute little oranges on the white blade, and a 6x4 or so cutting board. I can't recall where I bought it, or for how much, but its been used a couple times a week for about seven or eight years, and the matte finish hasn't come off.

I have a Ti LMF spork, too. I dug the orange plastic one I had, until the tines of the fork started to snap off. The one with a spoon on one end, a fork on the other. I bought the Ti one to replace orange one after it retired, and its the bee's knees. Haven't used it or seen it recently, though. Wonder where it got off to...

Cordage - I like twine. It's like a dollar for 36 yards of the stuff. Paracord is neat, but I don't have much use for it. I purchased a few hanks in the last decade - 100 feet each of OD, orange, and black. I just ran out of the OD cord maybe two or three years ago, I've used maybe 20 feet of the black, and the orange is untouched. I just don't use it often.

I have a couple of those blue tarps. I've used one as a place mat for my tent, or to spray paint something in the backyard.

As you can probably guess, I don't have a GHB or Bug Out bag. I currently work about 5 miles from home, which I can walk in about 2 hours (guesstimate). All I would really need is water, and a bit of cell reception to arrange for someone to pick up my children from school. Beyond that, I'm not going anywhere. I'm married with two children. Most of my family is within 20 miles of my house. I have a daughter with a medical condition that requires two separate medication, twice per day, both of which need to be refrigerated. I have a dog, too. Beyond getting home, I'm not going anywhere. Accounting for my family,  making sure medicine stays cold (chemical ice packs and a small cooler will help with this), and ensuring water and food are my prime considerations.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #95 on: December 09, 2017, 02:50:58 PM
Both of the problems I have with the Eat'n tool are only important to emergency bags. If you're not in a place where you can clean it with hot soapy water, and if you need to consume any eat-in-bag type foods most often packed into emergency bags or backpacking setups.

My husband has an Eat'n tool he takes to work with him for those times when he runs out of the office to grab a lunch and forgets utensils. And yes, it's titanium. It was a birthday gift, and the absurdness of the titanium was part of the fun of it.

I don't mind the Sea To Summit spork as much, since it has a decent handle, but it still has the unpolished bowl, so outside of a place where cleaning is easy, I'd want one with a polished bowl.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #96 on: January 02, 2018, 11:39:46 AM
Lol, just saw this thread, all I know is if you wear one of those ridiculous neck scarf things you are a dork, I remember seeing one of those dual survival shows and the guy walks around with that stupid thing in the heat, I don't care what the reasoning is, giant dork

Don't even get me started about the jackass who goes around barefoot
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:43:18 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: January 02, 2018, 12:56:20 PM
love it Lynn,I couldn't of written it better myself,as for battoning  :rant: don't even get me started on that subject  :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #98 on: January 02, 2018, 01:42:15 PM
love it Lynn,I couldn't of written it better myself,as for battoning  :rant: don't even get me started on that subject  :D

please start
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: January 02, 2018, 01:43:54 PM

please start

+1
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: January 02, 2018, 02:01:21 PM

please start

+1

I did write this on the first page,about endless YouTube videos of people breaking Moras while battoning wood that's to big and then moaning about the knife , and praising there expensive knife that they just take pretty photos of  :D the main. problem is people follow trends and not what actually is tried and trusted,

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: January 02, 2018, 06:25:36 PM
Fun read thanks :salute:
While not for self defense or batoning per se, I don't even like to go to a picnic without having a fixed blade knife. Simpler, sturdier and easier to keep clean and dry. While I have a silly amount of expensive fixed blades, ranging in size from pocket to zombie killers, a simple Mora is enough for me but not having a fixed blade at all would make me very edgy :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #102 on: January 02, 2018, 06:48:33 PM
Interesting little post, I have a few forks, spoons, sporks, and other eating setups, of course each time I go somewhere that has plastic sealed utensils I’ll pocket a few extra..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

hr Offline styx

Reply #103 on: January 02, 2018, 08:30:56 PM

please start

+1

I did write this on the first page,about endless YouTube videos of people breaking Moras while battoning wood that's to big and then moaning about the knife , and praising there expensive knife that they just take pretty photos of  :D the main. problem is people follow trends and not what actually is tried and trusted,

sure but your rants are funs

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #104 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:30 PM

please start

+1

sure but your rants are funs

:rofl:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Pacu

Reply #105 on: January 02, 2018, 10:22:17 PM
Can you baton with a spork for weight savings?
:like:    :MTO:

hr Offline styx

Reply #106 on: January 02, 2018, 11:32:47 PM
Can you baton with a spork for weight savings?

only if the bowl isn't polished

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: January 03, 2018, 10:55:35 AM

please start

+1

Ahhhhhh, but you forget they are a)idiots or b)trying to break the knife.

My cousin rented a little hall for her 40th birthday party, food & drinks inside and they got a heap of flooring cut-offs to make a bonfire outside where the smokers hung out.
All we had was a BIC and my knife, made some feather sticks (yes really  :P ) which we could light with the BIC, but we also needed thinner sticks to catch fire from the feathers........
 :pok:
So that was the night I saved the day by battoning with my Byrd Meadowlark 2........ :cheers:  :rofl:
Simply opened the blade halfway and battoned with it unlocked  :salute: No worries......

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #108 on: January 03, 2018, 03:17:12 PM

So that was the night I saved the day by battoning with my Byrd Meadowlark 2........ :cheers:  :rofl:
Simply opened the blade halfway and battoned with it unlocked  :salute: No worries......

colour me impressed :)
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #109 on: January 03, 2018, 03:38:21 PM

I did the same with my Spyderco Terzuola slip joint over christmas while trying to light the fire in the living room. :salute:

Show content
It was cold and wet outside and I couldn't be bothered to walk down to the garage to find my axe, and all I was doing was splitting very dry softwood kindling into pencil-sized pieces to make it easier to light. :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: January 03, 2018, 05:04:47 PM
I think we need a "Build Lynn a BOB" contest... no price for the winner, but the looser gets a through whacking :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline styx

Reply #111 on: January 03, 2018, 07:46:24 PM
I think we need a "Build Lynn a BOB" contest... no price for the winner, but the looser gets a through whacking :D

I support this idea

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #112 on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:36 PM

I support this idea

I 100% agree.  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #113 on: January 17, 2018, 05:30:30 PM
Molle.

I forgot how SICK I am of molle bullsmurf all over otherwise functional and non-idiotic looking bags.

And while we're at it...
Those big honkin ridiculously oversized bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: January 17, 2018, 06:51:39 PM
Molle.

I forgot how SICK I am of molle bullsmurf all over otherwise functional and non-idiotic looking bags.

And while we're at it...

I'm with you on molle! You might as well wear a big sign saying 'I'm a tacti-cool mall ninja, shoot me first!' :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #115 on: January 17, 2018, 06:55:01 PM
Molle.

And while we're at it...

I'm with you on molle! You might as well wear a big sign saying 'I'm a tacti-cool mall ninja, shoot me first!' :D
Big or not, I want that backpack!  :ahhh :drool:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: January 17, 2018, 07:40:09 PM
Molle.

And while we're at it...

Big or not, I want that backpack!  :ahhh :drool:

I want the pants....

hr Offline styx

Reply #117 on: January 17, 2018, 08:56:50 PM
it would be harder to get shot with an actual target on your back

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #118 on: January 18, 2018, 04:49:16 AM
Molle.

And while we're at it...

That's why I went as anti tacticool as I could get with my EDC bag.  Nobody pays much attention to or messes with the 6'2" 315 pound guy with the Hello Kitty bag.  With just a few extra things added my EDC bag could easily become a get home or bug out bag, although it is kind of tight already.
EDC Kit.JPG
* EDC Kit.JPG (Filesize: 116.29 KB)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #119 on: January 18, 2018, 05:03:08 AM
Nice. Apparently bags with kid stuff on it are much less likely to be stolen, so actually, that's a pretty good call, if you can get over the 'I'm not cool looking' issue.

Also, I see you're carrying one of those 'books'. How is the battery life on it? :D
In all seriousness, I wish I saw more books in folks' bags. Great downtime entertainment, and a few other uses as well. Might wanna consider a ziplock bag for it, though, in case of rain.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%