Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lost my Beloved PST 2 - What Should I Replace it With?

reTool · 29 · 2020

Offline reTool

Lost my Beloved PST 2 - What Should I Replace it With?
on: December 01, 2017, 04:22:04 PM
I lost my beloved PST II that I've had for years and years.  :cry: I keep it in my work briefcase, but use it around the house when I don't want to reach for my toolbox, including bringing it out in the yard. I also take it with me in my shaving kit when I travel. The features I used most often where the knife, screwdrivers and pliers. I'd like to not spend more than $50 on a replacement - unless someone can convince me otherwise.

To replace it - I did go on the Leatherman site - studied my options and then hunted down a Wingman at Lowe's on Black Friday for $30. It arrived this morning  :) and I have yet to open the package. It's a bit bigger and heavier compared with my PST II. Should I keep it? Or is there something better out there for my needs/budget?  ???

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
reTool

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Lost my Beloved PST 2 - What Should I Replace it With?
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 04:30:10 PM
If you liked your PST II so much why not buy another ?  (obviously it will be s'hand)  I see lots for sale on US ebay.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline reTool

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:25:50 PM
Thanks for the speedy response gregozedobe !

I hadn't really considered that - but it makes a lot of sense!  I peeked at eBay and you're right, most are used - and they are relatively pricey given that state. But it's definitely an option.

That said, given that I get to make the choice again - I was wondering if there are improvements or alternatives that I would like.

Then I guess I can decide.

So thank you again gregozedobe - and if any one else would like to make suggestions - I'm all ears!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:08:02 PM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

A second hand PST II isn't very bad priced if you look for just Leatherman on ebay :salute: The older PST II were labeled Leatherman Tool and you have to look at the pictures to see if they are a PST or a PST II  :salute: Good luck with the search :tu: Also a LM Rebar is a worthy replacement :like: You do lose the scissors and diamond file unfortunately :-\ also a LM Pulse has the same toolset exactly except it has a plain edge blade and locks :cheers: but it unfortunately is discontinued as well :facepalm: Hope you find something to replace it that you like :tu:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:13:37 PM by Poncho65 »

Offline reTool

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:05:39 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Poncho65

Now that I'm studying the build of these tools more carefully - it seems the Rebar does seem more similar to the PST II in it's construction. Seems that it moves into the next LM price bracket - $60 - but I can find at Dick's Sporting Goods at $48 for the moment. As you point out - I'd have to give up a few things - but the better wire cutters is definitely a plus - and the can opener makes a decent parcel opener. You got me thinking there....Any SOG Tools that would fit the bill? (Maybe I'm asking that in the wrong forum ;-) )

Anyway - thanks again Poncho65 - keep up with your thoughts everyone!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:09:38 PM
You listed your most common tools and neither the diamond coated file nor the scissors were among them. If you really like the size and construction if it, I would go PST original if you don't use the scissors, or PST II if you do use the scissors.

I have a PST and a PST II, and wish they would bring them back.

Having said that, if scissors are of no concern, and if you prefer the old school build and configuration styles, I would get a Rebar. I have one of those as well and it has been on my belt ever since, with only the occasional move to the SURGE!!.

Maybe the Wave will do you well. I held one and it seemed downright dainty, but that was while I was carrying the SURGE!! full time. I bet it compares in size and weight to the PST.

The Blast would also be an excellent choice if the Zytel is OK with you, but you would have  pick one up used as well because it's been out of production for about 5 years now

Offline reTool

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 08:49:51 PM
Thanks ThundahBeagle !

As I'm studying the options more carefully - I'm starting to think the Rebar would be the one for me - but still am trying to keep an open mind - so I'm still open to more thought/ideas! In the meantime, I won't open the Wingman up just yet.

Thanks again!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:58:19 PM
A Wingman is a fine tool but just not going to replace your PSTII (my opinion only though ;) ) I love the Rebar and carry it rather frequently :tu: As for SOG, I don't know as much much about the different models as I do with LM :D They are solid MTs though and have came out with some rather good looking designs in the past couple years :like:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:09:04 PM
Welcome to the forums, reTool.

LM Sideclip and Flair come to mind, too. Also, the Pulse :drool: . All discontinued, all pretty good IMO.

Should you decide you'd like a discontinued tool, you could also say so in the trades section here at MTO. Someone might be able to help you.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline reTool

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:15:32 PM
Thanks again Poncho65 and finki too - will do some more homework!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 09:16:03 PM
Get them all !   :pok: 

Welcome to the forum !  :cheers:

If you stick around here that where you'll end up   :D

Rebar is a fine option and it's what I first chose to replace my PST. Having said that if you like your PST II you can find them for around the same or cheaper than a new Rebar.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 01:53:13 AM
The Rebar is what I picked for my EDC to replace my Supertool AND the PST that my very light day and dressy carry. Of course, it is supplemented by others... but... that's the nature of this lifestyle.

Back on topic... If you don't need the scissors, it would be my first choice. If you do, a Rebar and a Vic would be my recommendation.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 02:07:36 AM
To take a a couple of slightly different tacks

How about a SAK with pliers - Probably not an option as pliers too small
The Swisstool Spirit is amazing and has pliers, scissors, blade, SDs everything you want - But does not meet price criteria
What about a Juice - Lots of models to choose from to meet your perfect configuration - And they are a very handy compact tool?

Fraid I only really know SAKs and LMs - So can't help with other brands :( 

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 04:06:49 PM
Used PSTs/PSTIIs aren't all that expensive--I'd go with another one of those. 

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 04:24:43 PM
To chime in once more, a Rebar on my belt with a Micra on my keys covers all of my needs.

I then carry a Swiss Army knife because I always have.

The SURGE!! alone covers all of my needs as well, but that is in a totally different weight class and may be a factor in an uptick in curvature of the spine cases since its release. Y-yikes!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 06:44:23 PM
I think the Wingman is actually a pretty good replacement for the PST II.

I've done some hard testing on the Wingman and Sidekick, and they are solid tools. The downside is they'er about an ounce and a half heavier than the PST II. The BIG upside is one hand open blade, and for many, the pocket clip is a nice addition.

If all else fails, I have a PST II in reasonably good condition. The blade needs some work, but is otherwise fine, and I have no attachment to it. PM me if you are interested.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 10:43:35 PM
Another vote for the Rebar.  :cheers:

Offline reTool

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 05:56:51 AM
(Thanks everyone on this thread - sorry to be AWOL the whole weekend through and into Monday PM!)

So you all got me thinking and I found the Rebar on Amazon for $44.95 - so I ordered it. It's due at the office tomorrow - and I still have the Wingman unopened. So I hope I can tell by your input and my gut with the two products embedded deep in their plastic casing as to which one to actually keep. I'll post what I finally decide.

While I have your ears - the Rebar I ordered was 831547 - but I see others listed as 831551 - what's the difference - if any?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 06:15:02 AM
The former is the nylon sheath, and the latter is the leather sheath. No other difference that I can find.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 06:47:51 AM
Not to derail things since you’ve made your purchases. But if are firm on just those 3 most common tools than a Skeletool might work out for you. But just know that the pliers are not meant for heavy use.

Any way whatever you choose will be perfect for you. Coz ya know, it’s a Leatherman!!

Can you tell I’m a Leatherman guy? Lol.

Offline reTool

Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 07:32:57 PM
Thanks for the latest posts Lynn LeFey and OldBoy2016

Lynn - Didn't even realize that a sheath was involved - so that's great. As to OldBoy2016 - I actually am familiar with the Skeletool - a friend has one. I really like it's light weight and great design - but it has too few tools for me. But a very reasonable suggestion.

Thanks again- and others - please feel free to continue to share your thoughts. My Rebar is due to arrive today - so I should have a chance to at least view both in the plastic case together.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 07:39:22 PM
I would go rebar.  Best value I think. You get good tools for a decent price and its miles above a wingman in quality.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 07:48:14 PM
No one has suggested a Wave? Perhaps out of your price range. One handed opening though. Maybe handle some multitools in a store first to get more of an idea?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 08:07:19 PM
I think minus the loss of the scissors and a little added weight and size, you'll find the Rebar to be an awesome tool. Dollar-for-dollar, I think it's one of Leatherman's best offerings, and you get a great tool set with it.

Offline reTool

Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 08:19:39 PM
Thanks Syncop8r and Lynn for keeping this thread going!

As to the Wave - yes - out of budget.

Lynn - that's my current thinking - but we'll see once I get to see them up close.

Feel free keep this rolling with more thoughts!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 12:50:39 PM
Thanks Syncop8r and Lynn for keeping this thread going!

As to the Wave - yes - out of budget.

Lynn - that's my current thinking - but we'll see once I get to see them up close.

Feel free keep this rolling with more thoughts!

if it is within your budget I'd keep the Rebar and the Wingman, as they offer very different features that compliment each other very nicely

OHO Blade - two handed blade
scissors - no scissors
outside tools - inside tools
spring loaded - no spring
non replaceable cutters - replaceable cutters
clip - no clip
flat Phillips - 3D Phillips
SE blade - PE blade

etc.

the Rebar is better IMO but the Wingman is the best of the 3 Leatherman entry level tools   :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline reTool

Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 08:55:52 PM
Sooo....the Rebar arrived! (In a traditional box - not within sealed plastic.)  :D

A little thicker than ideal - but still very nice. Everything thing seems very stiff - I assume it breaks in after awhile or is there some trick to break it in? And tips or pointers on this?
  :like:

Think I'm going with the Rebar.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:29 PM
Should relatively quickly get less stiff with use... one could loosen the screws in theory to speed things up but I wouldn't bother, you'd have to re-tighten them before long (and re-apply Loctite if you wanted to go by the book).

Good luck - I'll hazard a guess you'll like the Rebar (I do)  :D

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 03:31:32 AM
Rebar is a solid choice. I had one and it was nice, just not for me.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD