Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question on refurbing an Old Crafty

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Question on refurbing an Old Crafty
on: December 14, 2017, 02:51:10 AM
So ive got this Old Crafty that once belonged to my grandparents.  My grandfather passed on many years ago and when my grandmother moved a few years ago this knife was given to me.  It's a small stockman pattern that looks like it saw little to no use and probably spent most of it's life in the back of my grandma's kitchen drawer behind the rubber bands, pencils and rosaries.

So it's in pretty good shape aside from some moderate rusting on the blades and inside the frame.  I'm going to attempt to get this knife back to usable condition and give it some pocket time.   

My first question (yes, I'm sure there will be more) is if WD-40, PB Blaster, etc. will harm the derlin.  With old MTs I usually soak them down and let them sit overnight as a first step.  This little knife seems like it could benefit from a soak but I don't want to damage the handles.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Question on refurbing an Old Crafty
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 04:17:22 AM
That is a good question :think: I will let some of the other trad knife collectors answer this as I really have no idea about it ??? Sorry I couldn't be more help on this matter :facepalm:

Can't wait to see the knife with before and after pics though :cheers: :like:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:46:07 AM
That is a good question :think: I will let some of the other trad knife collectors answer this as I really have no idea about it ??? Sorry I couldn't be more help on this matter :facepalm:

Can't wait to see the knife with before and after pics though :cheers: :like:

I'll be sure sure to snap pics along the way.   Based on some cursory googling I'm thinking WD40 might do some damage.  Hopefully someone here knows for sure and if so can recommend an alternative.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 05:35:27 AM
I've brought back a few rusty old knifes with Derlin handles and WD40. It shouldn't hurt it but I've never soaked them over night. You really shouldn't have to soak them just spray and some super fine emery paper should clean it up just fine.

And we need pics  :pok:   before and after  :tu:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 01:22:29 PM
I've brought back a few rusty old knifes with Derlin handles and WD40. It shouldn't hurt it but I've never soaked them over night. You really shouldn't have to soak them just spray and some super fine emery paper should clean it up just fine.

Great! Thanks Steve.  Pics are forthcoming.  I'll probably get started this weekend.  I'm hoping I've got a brush for my dremel to try to get down into the handle/frame.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 01:32:22 PM
I'm with steve,I've restored many old trads with derlin handles with wd40 with no issues, have fun as I love bringing these old knives back to life ,look forward to pics  ;)  :salute:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 01:59:41 PM
Delrin (not derlin :pok:) is fairly inert so cleaning with mild solvents and using things like WD40 won't cause any problems.  Loads more info here if you're interested: http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-and-resins/thermoplastics/documents/Delrin/Delrin%20Design%20Guide%20Mod%203.pdf

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 12:11:25 AM
Delrin (not derlin :pok:) is fairly inert so cleaning with mild solvents and using things like WD40 won't cause any problems.  Loads more info here if you're interested: http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-and-resins/thermoplastics/documents/Delrin/Delrin%20Design%20Guide%20Mod%203.pdf

Wow!  All these years I've been saying derlin.  Even a lot of advertisers use that spelling.  Thanks for the correction and the info!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 01:16:40 AM

Delrin   derlin... Tomato  toamto 

:rofl:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:50:28 AM

Delrin   derlin... Tomato  toamto 

:rofl:

HA! :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 07:55:51 AM

:rofl: I usually write it Delrin but thought i was spelling it wrong  :rofl: so copied every one else  :D probably the reason i did badly at tests at school  :rofl:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 04:49:45 AM

Ok forgive the awful pics but it's dark here and I wanted to get started tonight.  Here are the before pics.  This little fella is in pretty good shape aside from a fair amount of rust.   Springs are a little sluggish but I'm hoping they might improve with some cleaning and use.   This knife even has a box with it.  Although,  strangely, the model number on the box differs from the one on the knife. 

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 06:05:18 AM
Sweet !  That will clean up nicely  :like: :tu:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 06:23:37 AM
Sweet !  That will clean up nicely  :like: :tu:

I think so too!  Got started tonight.   I got most of the surface rust off.  At first I thought I really wanted to clean this thing up and get it as close to new as possible.  But I think the stains and tarnish, while not necessarily earned through work, are age spots that I'm not going to worry about.   I did notice a small crack at the center pin (visible in the third pic above).  I don't expect it be a problem though.  The snap has already gotten a little snappier and since I still felt just a little grit when opening and closing I gave the joints a last squirt of PB and will let it sit until tomorrow night.  I'll work them while watching a movie or something and then give it a good wash.  Then it'll be time to sharpen and a final application of a little mineral oil.  That's the plan anyway.   Any suggestions are welcome!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 09:25:43 AM

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 12:35:11 PM
I think your are on the right track not to worry about all the patina. As long as you remove any orange rust and clean the joints.
 :popcorn:   :popcorn:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 12:55:03 PM
ooh and you still have the box  :drool: that will clean up nicely,and I like to see some patina as this is a older pocket knife  :salute: I guess this is shcrade 34OT craftsman version  :tu:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:56:36 PM by Zed »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 03:43:49 PM
looking very nice so far!!
 :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%