Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman 2018 Rumors?

JPS_ · 86 · 5126

de Offline JPS_

Leatherman 2018 Rumors?
on: December 17, 2017, 01:13:35 PM
Usually we've got our first rumors and/or leaks of new Leatherman Products around Christmas, Shot Show is End of January. Are there already any rumors out there?

My Wishlist:
- Wave and Charge with the new Pliers
- Black Charge Ti
- Reverso Tanto Blade (like Benchmade 940)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman 2018 Rumors?
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 04:10:54 PM
I haven't heard anything yet :-\ Hoping it is more than a few half tools though :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 05:15:49 PM
I really hope they don't put the Rebar pliers in the Wave...

de Offline JPS_

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 09:19:10 PM

why not?

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 09:30:01 PM
I won't be holding my breath, especially given their current pricing outside the US 
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 09:49:43 PM

why not?

Some don't see the replaceable cutters as an upgrade ;) I like both plier heads separately and for different reasons but you could see that the ones with replaceable cutters could be a weaker design and break more easily (never had this happen but the possibility is there :salute: )

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 09:59:59 PM
Wave III or Signal II, depending on how you see it. Basically, a Signal with 4 outside tools. That is my prediction on what will come next and its actually something I really would like.

My wish list:
- the same as above, but Surge sized
- more inserts for the Signal frame (e.g. a bit holder)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 10:02:51 PM
I'm hoping they make a RBx, as I really want the fully serrated 154CM blade in my standard Skeletool, and can't justify another Skeletool when the only differences is the bits, color, and blade. Other than that, it's the run of the mill Skeletool. D2 pliers, which are stronger than the cast stainless used today. Oh, and a modern successor to the Mini Tool.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 01:08:22 AM
I predict that no new mods or models introduced, just some color variations that will not be actually available until September if ever!

But, then I could be wrong, totally wrong. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 02:47:27 AM
How about reintroducing the Juice KF4?
Or have the serrated blade replaced with scissors. Maybe screws instead of pins.

us Offline gregpost

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 03:02:15 AM

I hope they do something cool.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 03:11:18 AM
I'm still waiting on the slim line Rebar. Preferably a knifeless version with the saw and file. Or even super skinny, with pliers, drivers, openner/stripper, and no blades, no saw, no file.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 05:47:58 AM
I'm still waiting on the slim line Rebar. Preferably a knifeless version with the saw and file. Or even super skinny, with pliers, drivers, openner/stripper, and no blades, no saw, no file.

I think you'll be waiting a long time   ;)

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 05:56:00 AM
I'm *really* hoping for an improved OHT: slimmer frame, longer tools, bit holder and better tool selection

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 01:16:34 PM
I'd like to see slimmer, sleeker tools. Maybe less functions, but the good old back to basics

and being deceived by their blade-only offering of this year, I'd love to see a return of the Crater series with updated materials and/or functions
(I'm thinking G10 scales, multiposition carry clip, scales with wrench cutouts, allen or hex drivers,  ::) and new functions like package opener,  belt cutter or Wave scissors, or diamond file on them   :drool:)

whatever they do, I don't want to see them follow their recent trends of past years  :twak:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 02:31:52 PM
A quality cheaper tool that opens the tools fron the outside withoun the nned of open the pliers, more like a spirit!
Enjoy!

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 02:43:07 PM

why not?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also, I'm not a fan of the Rebar pliers. Had nothing but problems with them in all three Rebars I ended up having.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 02:32:44 AM
I think you'll be waiting a long time   ;)

Honestly, so do I. Doesn't mean I can't want it. Been waiting five years.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 02:46:01 AM
I think it’ll be an evolution of the Skeletool/MUT/Signal that’ll replace the Wave. Or maybe a variation of the Signal. I really like the potential of that line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 07:58:20 AM
"Replace the Wave"? Why on earth should that be necessary? I read elsewhere around here that it's LM's best selling tool  ???
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 08:16:33 AM
I am surprised that so many users dislike the replaceable cutters. I personally would always  use one if there is a choice.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 08:55:38 AM
It seems that some users have had plier stability problems on Rebars. I speculate this might be due to faulty casting in combination with the cutouts / threaded holes necessary for the replaceable cutters... those not being present on the Wave pliers the thinking is apparently that breakages are less likely to occur.

I'd also prefer replaceable cutters given the choice. My Rebars have not been put to what turned out to be destructive use yet...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 08:57:51 AM
I think it’ll be an evolution of the Skeletool/MUT/Signal that’ll replace the Wave. Or maybe a variation of the Signal. I really like the potential of that line.

Why would they replace the Wave at this stage?! With all due respect... That would be ridiculous. It is their best seller, hands down. I don't own a Wave, but I own a Surge, and see the appeal of a lighter Surge.

Skeletool = not enough tools for the price.
MUT = too speSmurfpillsed and expensive for John Q. Public
Signal = ...well, who the hell knows what Signal equals, but it ain't much compared to other less expansive tools with a much better load out like Surge and Wave or even Rebar for example.

For the price of a Signal, I could buy a Rebar, and a Smith's sharpener, whistle, ferro combo and still have enough left over for two steak dinners. Make that two steak dinners with whiskey sours if we are talking about the REI Signal.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 09:04:15 AM

I think Skeletool, MUT, Signal platform will live on for a while of its own accord and not replace anything in particular. I could easily see the Signal die off, for reasons stated in my last post. Or maybe the MUT. Same reason in previous post. Skeletool will likely stick around, but I see most of that platform as paying more for less tool load out, and the other 3rd of that platform as just too expensive and specific.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 09:08:19 AM
Also, as point of fact, doesn't the best indicator of any future model come from either an inside source (scoop type news) or the US Patent office (solid plans)?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 09:28:18 AM

You do realise that the Rebar EDC has been out for a while?

https://www.leatherman.com/knifeless-rebar-465.html?cgid=full-size-multi-tools#start=1
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 10:29:09 AM

Why would they replace the Wave at this stage?! With all due respect... That would be ridiculous. It is their best seller, hands down. I don't own a Wave, but I own a Surge, and see the appeal of a lighter Surge.

Skeletool = not enough tools for the price.
MUT = too speSmurfpillsed and expensive for John Q. Public
Signal = ...well, who the hell knows what Signal equals, but it ain't much compared to other less expansive tools with a much better load out like Surge and Wave or even Rebar for example.

For the price of a Signal, I could buy a Rebar, and a Smith's sharpener, whistle, ferro combo and still have enough left over for two steak dinners. Make that two steak dinners with whiskey sours if we are talking about the REI Signal.
If you get over the plastic bits of the Signal, you can see that its the next gen of the Wave Frame.

Wave Frame (only one arm): 2 large tools, 3 small tools
Signal Frame (only one arm): 1 large tool, 4 small tools + room for a plastic implement
Signal Frame doubled up with 2 large tools (only one arm):  2 large tools, 5 small tools + room for a plastic implement

You can easily see, that the Signal frame has a much higher tool density. Whether you add the tap hammer on the second arm or not is then a matter of taste. Personally, I hope they offer both:
Signal 2A: 4 Large outside tools, 5 small tools + hammer + 2 plastic implements (bit holders would be great)
Signal 2B: 4 Large outside tools, 10 small tools + 2 plastic implements (bit holders would be great)

All of this holds true, if they scale the Signal Frame up to Surge size.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:45:53 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Offline gadgetman7

Leatherman 2018 Rumors?
Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 12:37:15 PM
I think the Wave is a great tool and have several including Charges. But, Leatherman has always evolved their tools and I suspect the Wave line will evolve too. It makes sense to merge the Signal/MUT line with the Wave line at some point but it’s likely that they’ll take elements from both.

I hope that Leatherman modifies the Signal myself. I’d like a Surge like blade exchanger to replace the saw and for them to add scissors. Also, remove the whistle and put in bit storage. Finally, just remove the outside file and upgrade the blade steel to S35VN. At that point you have a Wave minus the serrated blade but with a hammer, awl and locking handles.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:39:14 PM by gadgetman7 »

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 03:11:29 PM
Sorry about my ignorance but what is wrong with the pliers on the Wave or the Rebar???
Thank you.
Enjoy!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 03:19:40 PM
A quality cheaper tool that opens the tools fron the outside withoun the nned of open the pliers, more like a spirit!

That's a nice idea. Kind of what Bear & Son did. Leatherman could take the Rebar, and flip the handles inside-out.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%