Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman 2018 Rumors?

JPS_ · 86 · 5270

fi Offline Padre

Re: Leatherman 2018 Rumors?
Reply #60 on: December 29, 2017, 11:58:11 AM
Sorry about my ignorance but what is wrong with the pliers on the Wave or the Rebar???
Thank you.

They wont last?
 :whistle:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: December 29, 2017, 12:05:16 PM
The bottom line is: what will SELL in 2018.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: December 29, 2017, 01:31:40 PM
The bottom line is: what will SELL in 2018.
And preferably at a high price and being used as little as possible (less warranty claims).

The Tread (and the Signal) are strokes of genius from an economic point of view. Shift the customer base to preppers/life-style-mechanics who are more than willing to pay more and who use stuff less.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #63 on: December 29, 2017, 01:38:19 PM
Has anyone figured out what the Leatherman Tecopa is going to be yet?

well the only relation I can see is the fact that Tecopa is a camping, hiking and nature observation area, very popular among hikers and famous for its hot water pools.
So maybe is a tool oriented to desert survival, kind of a new "Tread " for those environments?    :think:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:40:31 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #64 on: December 30, 2017, 02:21:19 AM
Lets start a GOOD rumor.

Tim is coming out of retirement and sending his son back to the mailroom.

Show content
Nah... even I can't imagine that.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: December 30, 2017, 03:51:34 AM
Are we getting to a point when we'll tell our kids that: "Once upon a time, there was this company that used to come up with great products..."?

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #66 on: December 30, 2017, 04:46:13 AM
Lets start a GOOD rumor.

Tim is coming out of retirement and sending his son back to the mailroom.

Show content
Nah... even I can't imagine that.

Tread KBx. If you buy two you can even wear them!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #67 on: December 30, 2017, 06:31:46 AM
I would like to see:
- LMT get back into knife business. The Crater line no longer cuts it, once you handle those discontinued premium knives. Maybe they can beef up and expand the Skeletool knife line for larger handle, larger blade, and more features.
- They cut the Skeletools in halves to make budget knives, they may as well do half Wave or half Surge. Add a dedicated 3D Philips screwdriver in place of the plier. Better yet, incorporating the 45-degree lock of the tool adapter to it. :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #68 on: December 30, 2017, 07:31:39 AM
LM to stop milking non US buyers
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

za Offline hugos

Reply #69 on: December 30, 2017, 08:06:41 AM
Agreed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hugo Smith

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #70 on: December 30, 2017, 09:53:18 AM

But is it LM or the distributor in each country responsible for the excessively high prices ? 

I know in Oz many distributors get an exclusive supply agreement with a manufacturer, and then proceed to gouge all customers who buy inside the country (which is why I buy lots of stuff overseas, not just MTs).  I call it the "Buy in Australia Tax" and it often leads to prices 100 - 150% higher than they should be.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: December 30, 2017, 02:31:48 PM

But is it LM or the distributor in each country responsible for the excessively high prices ? 

I know in Oz many distributors get an exclusive supply agreement with a manufacturer, and then proceed to gouge all customers who buy inside the country (which is why I buy lots of stuff overseas, not just MTs).  I call it the "Buy in Australia Tax" and it often leads to prices 100 - 150% higher than they should be.

not prices, it's the fact that US Sellers (Knifecenter, Knifeworks and many other US stores/dealers) won't ship anything LM to Europe after Leatherman themselves asked for that change to be implemented not long ago

not even clips or replacement parts, let alone entire tools   :twak:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #72 on: December 30, 2017, 03:06:59 PM

not prices, it's the fact that US Sellers (Knifecenter, Knifeworks and many other US stores/dealers) won't ship anything LM to Europe after Leatherman themselves asked for that change to be implemented not long ago

I still think that restriction will be related to the exclusive supply agreements for individual countries.  It is probably more convenient for LM to simply not ship anything at all to the countries involved.

I recently tried to buy some special twist microfibre drying towels from New Zealand (because they were cheaper than Oz prices), but the seller told me he would lose the distribution rights if he shipped to me in Australia.  I refused to play their high-price game and bought some similar towels direct from Korea (where most of these towels are made) for half the price the Oz seller was asking.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:08:04 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: December 30, 2017, 03:08:29 PM

and this is some of the reasons Grant opened the MTO Store :salute:

https://store.multitool.org I will do the shameless plug since Grant seems to be occupied packing and sending MTO PXs :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: December 30, 2017, 04:16:04 PM
I'm not sure what I'd like to see for 2018  :think:.  I have a Tread and Signal and both are pretty cool.  I handled the KBx but was not impressed.  Maybe its time for a Juice revamp?  With so many of us having issues with the flat drivers maybe its time to resolve how those deploy?  Not sure if anything can be done but thats what I got so far.  Wait, maybe while their at it lengthen the blade to where it was.  Doesn't LM own LED Lenser?  I don't seem to hear much about LED Lensers lights. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #75 on: December 30, 2017, 04:36:54 PM

well the only relation I can see is the fact that Tecopa is a camping, hiking and nature observation area, very popular among hikers and famous for its hot water pools.
So maybe is a tool oriented to desert survival, kind of a new "Tread " for those environments?    :think:

The description indicates box-cutters:

"Knives; Multi-function hand tools comprised of knife, screwdrivers and any combination of: box cutter, can opener, bottle opener, package opener; Knives, namely, pocket knives, folding knives, sport knives, hunting knives, camping knives and survival knives"

And does not mention pliers. So I believe we could see a new knife or knife-line in 2018.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: December 30, 2017, 06:58:18 PM

The description indicates box-cutters:

"Knives; Multi-function hand tools comprised of knife, screwdrivers and any combination of: box cutter, can opener, bottle opener, package opener; Knives, namely, pocket knives, folding knives, sport knives, hunting knives, camping knives and survival knives"

And does not mention pliers. So I believe we could see a new knife or knife-line in 2018.

hopefully the long awaited Crater evolution  ::)
mine would love a brother with new features but keeping the low weight, nice clip and ergonomics

My toys:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #77 on: December 30, 2017, 07:12:35 PM

If LM wanted the non -US distributors to sell their products at lower prices they would make/help them do so. The distributors sell a lot less because of the high prices.

LM is happy with the pricing. They are seen as premium gadgets rather than tools.

Happily, amazon.com has started to ship various multitools to Europe too (I am not sure about LMs) so try them too.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: December 30, 2017, 07:38:50 PM
I’d like a Surge like blade exchanger to replace the saw and for them to add scissors. Also, remove the whistle and put in bit storage. Finally, just remove the outside file and upgrade the blade steel to S35VN. At that point you have a Wave minus the serrated blade but with a hammer, awl and locking handles.

Sir, you made me drool  :drool: :gimme: :climber:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #79 on: December 31, 2017, 04:03:47 AM
Heck, how about a simple screwdriver. Something pen sized, taking the flat bits. Hollow handle to hold four regular or two of the long ones, or one long, two short. Cap screws on to keep them in place, bit holder at the end. Square body, bundle it with the Crunch and point out that the Crunch can really grab it. .

Maybe a special adapter bit to use the precision driver in the regular driver slot.

Either one is a badda-bing, badda-done in CAD then a 3d printed prototype before lunch type project. Then tool up for it... still could have it in production in under four months.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:12:40 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #80 on: January 02, 2018, 06:16:35 PM
Heck, how about a simple screwdriver. Something pen sized, taking the flat bits. Hollow handle to hold four regular or two of the long ones, or one long, two short. Cap screws on to keep them in place, bit holder at the end. Square body, bundle it with the Crunch and point out that the Crunch can really grab it. .

Maybe a special adapter bit to use the precision driver in the regular driver slot.

Either one is a badda-bing, badda-done in CAD then a 3d printed prototype before lunch type project. Then tool up for it... still could have it in production in under four months.

That's a very good idea.  Very simple and very good. 

I have been telling my brother for years that Leatherman has these awesome flat bits that work just as good as normal 3d bits.  But Leatherman doesn't really seem to be using this asset to the fullest. 

:like:  your idea a lot.  I would make the back cap side have a standard 1/4 inch hex on it so that it could stick into the Crunch bit driver as an extra long bit driver extension!   :D

:cheers:

Offline stugumby

Reply #81 on: January 21, 2018, 03:13:28 PM
A reworked juice CS4, add in the full length knife blades again, loose the corkscrew to use the space for a serrated blade, make the screw drivers a bit longer, have a seperate corkscrew like for the swiss tools. they could cut a hole for it in the side scale. remove the can opener and add in a awl/pokee tool. This would give you the symetrical feel. seems the can opener and corkscrew get the most hate mail and less use anyway, add in a P-38 style can opener as a sheath acessory, or redo the pirannah 2 and add in a can opener hook.

Wave, loose the mini bit driver and add in an awl/pokee, and add in replacable wire cutters.

Wingman/Sidekick/Rev, make a universal platform, buyer can dictate whats in what handle etc.

The new juice tool with both blades, add in a small key ring/lanyard loop device.

Crater knives, make a office edc version, 2 main blades, one fully serrated, one plain edged, loose the screwdrivers, add in a bit holder like in the c55b models and a pair of scissors. retractable bottle opener needs to have a tape ripper edge or a scraper similar to the doohickey scraper tool.

Micra, timeless classic but make a micra 2nd gen, outside opening tools, with retail package opener
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:40:28 PM by stugumby »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #82 on: January 21, 2018, 03:37:42 PM

The Kershaw A-100 had a driver that you could get that could be clenched in the teeth and held at different angles. Wasn't anything too special but you could use standard 1/4 inch bits and it expanded the versatility of the tool. I had one a long with the tool and foolishly sold it back in the day. I love innovation like that, sometimes I think the spark is gone and since the 90s and early 20s they just stopped coming up with ground breaking ideas.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #83 on: January 21, 2018, 03:39:50 PM

The Kershaw A-100 had a driver that you could get that could be clenched in the teeth and held at different angles. Wasn't anything too special but you could use standard 1/4 inch bits and it expanded the versatility of the tool. I had one a long with the tool and foolishly sold it back in the day. I love innovation like that, sometimes I think the spark is gone and since the 90s and early 20s they just stopped coming up with ground breaking ideas.

That's not to say that OHT, MUT, Tread, etc are not innovative. They definitely breathe new life into what would other wise be a stagnant market. I love the new tools and own several of them, but there will always be something about the golden age of multitools.

us Online cody6268

Reply #84 on: January 22, 2018, 12:23:13 AM
Why can't Leatherman simply buy those European importers? It's kinda what Vic did when they bought our importer Swiss Army Brands.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: January 22, 2018, 07:33:01 AM

Regular dedicated tools...

Nice one Iron. Ever since Sears practically collapsed and sold the Craftsman name to Stanley, I often asked myself how great it could be if Leatherman would venture into the dedicated tool arena.

Something like a Leatherman brand, regular snub nose plyers or a whole line of plyers. Or a Leatherman set of precision screw drivers a la Archer, Moody, or Starrett. Sets of crescent or box ended wrenches.

Stanley used to be such a quality US name, and moved so much production overseas. Craftsman was one of the few who kept any US manufacturing (western forge screwdrivers, some ratchets and sockets, etc). Stanley is likely to send more of Craftsman manufacturing out, and Leatherman might have a chance to help fill that US made, long term guaranteed dedicated tool production.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%