Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Those new gear covers... yay or nay?

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Those new gear covers... yay or nay?
on: November 05, 2008, 08:18:57 PM
What do you guys think of those new gear covers? I know they're supposed to improve hand comfort but for me, I prefer the original look. 

Just bought a brand new SOG PowerLock this week and I opted for the older, original version instead of the new gear covered version.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Those new gear covers... yay or nay?
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:21:21 PM
I have not handled the new one, but it looks to me that those gear covers are a HUGE improvement.

My issue with the Powerlock and the reason that I traded it away was because of the exposed gears.
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:14:40 PM
I prefer the look of the original, but I consider the ones with gear covers to be better functionally.  Function comes first with me.
- Terry

Offline cryptrick

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:26:58 PM
I've never actually had a go with an SOG with Gear covers, but the ones I've used where the gears are exposed haven't bothered me in the slightest. I quite like the look of the exposed gears, just looks cooler 8)
[

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 04:40:37 PM
The look of the exposed gears are cool. A Powerlock with it’s gears exposed is also a better weapon, getting hit in the head with the gears would putt you in a world of hurt.

Just to clarify on thing, I have not hit somebody in the head with the gears of my Powerlock. I just have a sick imagination
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 04:46:52 PM
The look of the exposed gears are cool. A Powerlock with it’s gears exposed is also a better weapon, getting hit in the head with the gears would putt you in a world of hurt.

lol... ya know, my brother told me the exact same thing.  He also said I could hold one SOG handle and swing the powerlock open and smack people with the swinging handle; kind of like a nunchuck.  >:D
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline EZ822

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:49:03 PM
I have the original exposed gear Powerlock and th gears have never been a problem. I guess they would be if you have large hands.
Erick

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 03:29:38 AM
I prefer them without the gear covers :multi:
Dennis

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 03:35:11 AM
They don't bother me either, and I like the look.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 03:06:15 PM
Find something with a phillips screw in it. Preferrably something old, with a bit of rust around the screw. Now try to remove said screw with your PowerLock. The phillips screwdriver will keep camming out of the screwhead. The only way to prevent this is to push real hard on the screwdriver. The palm of your hand bears directly on those exposed gears.......

I'll take the model WITH gear covers thank you very much! :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 03:12:44 PM
Find something with a phillips screw in it. Preferrably something old, with a bit of rust around the screw. Now try to remove said screw with your PowerLock. The phillips screwdriver will keep camming out of the screwhead. The only way to prevent this is to push real hard on the screwdriver. The palm of your hand bears directly on those exposed gears.......

My thoughts exactly.  The only thing I really used on my Powerlock was the phillips and that was on a stubborn screw.  It was so needlessly uncomfortable that it just had to go.
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 05:07:48 PM

I suspect that's because sog phillips is #1 while most screw used is #2 instead. Kinda stupid of sog to supply a driver that's too small for the most common screw.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 12:37:25 AM
It doesn't take long to appreciate the gear covers on the new SOGs, although I admit, they don't look as cool as the old, exposed gears.  As Terry says, I have to go with function over looks.

As for using it as a weapon, I find the best way is to put the compound leverage in a near lethal titty twister.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 12:18:46 PM
"does he paint a picture or what!"

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 03:17:19 AM
As for using it as a weapon, I find the best way is to put the compound leverage in a near lethal titty twister.

Ouch.  With compound leverage, it's more of a "titty squisher"

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 06:56:40 AM
Yay for me! I find circles more attractive than gears. =o
Got those frog legs.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 11:28:44 AM
No I hate them. I actually like the Industrial look of the gears. Now the handle looks like Mickey Mouse is hiding in the tool.
S

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 07:46:16 PM
I'm really interested in getting a new powerlock that has the gear covers and the piano locks . In BO  :drool:

Dunc

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 06:31:08 AM
I don't have a SOG one ::) but as most have said I like the look of the old  :-\ but the new looks to be an improvement in function :) :cheers:

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 12:40:40 PM
The hinges certainly, but not the Gear covers. I understand why they put them on, but I like my little DNA trappers!
S

Offline P-11 shooter

Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 01:12:25 AM
No I hate them. I actually like the Industrial look of the gears. Now the handle looks like Mickey Mouse is hiding in the tool.

Yeah, they look cool. And I loke the fact that they make a good weapon. But I have to agree with what others have said. When applying any kind of force to the tool those gears tear up my hand. If I had the choice when I bought mine I would've got one with the covers.

Also , i heard people mention the fact that the SOG only has a #1 philips when #2's are more common. One of the first things I did was grind the tip down on my screwdriver to allow it to get a better bite on #2 screws. made a world of difference. Still not as good as the philips on my Leatherman though.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 08:43:47 AM
Well I have one with, and one without the gear covers now (both new).  I carry the one with exposed gears.  I've used the scissors and the knife without any discomfort.  Wait until I have to use the screwdriver then I'll let you know.  The one with the exposed gears has the old style locking system and the whole pliers seem a bit lighter plus I like the black color so that's why I am carrying it around for starters.  But boy that leather sheath I just can't find comfort with it.

sean

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 08:59:21 AM
After some prolonged work with phillip screws, I wish mine had them. But then again it comes back to my original assessment that it's because SOG use #1 phillips, if they made it #2 I wouldn't have to press against the gears so hard to prevent the driver from camming out.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 02:44:32 PM
Yah get them to get #2 in the tool!!!
S

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 11:13:17 AM
There are plenty of quality aftermarket nylon sheaths available. Try Tactical Tailor or TAD Gear.  ;)

But boy that leather sheath I just can't find comfort with it.

sean

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD