Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which 58mm for EDC?

us Offline this_is_nascar

Which 58mm for EDC?
on: December 29, 2017, 06:38:07 PM
Which 58mm do you EDC and more importantly, why that particular model vs. all the other 58mm Vics?  In addition, do you carry any other SAKs to compliment the smaller 58mm?

I currently have a Classic on my keyring, with an Executive in my pocket.  I own a Rambler and Manager I'd love to put on the keyring to replace the Classic (one or the other), but they always feel too thick and chunky.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: Which 58mm for EDC?
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:49:54 PM
I always carry more than a few SAKs and a 58mm is one of them. Sometimes a Classic, but usually a MiniChamp. I have two MiniChamps, one in silver alox, and one in Hunter Green cellidor that I got off a Classic. I carry the MiniChamp in a tiny brown leather belt sheath.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:08:07 PM by Ron Who »

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 07:10:44 PM
The only 58mm I use these days would be the Rally paired up with any SAK with a scissors. If I'm not carrying a SAK with a scissors...well 58's don't meet my needs so the 65mm Pocket tool chest.
20170905_125044.jpg
* 20170905_125044.jpg (Filesize: 194.35 KB)
20171012_072812.jpg
* 20171012_072812.jpg (Filesize: 151.75 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:05:29 PM
I've been packing an old red Classic lately but I usually carry a Minichamp for the ball point pen.
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 08:41:11 PM
I do the reverse, Nascar: I supplement a primary knife with a 58mm. E.g. I'll carry a Soldier, but then add a Classic to augment the Soldier's tool set. I usually carry a Classic, but I'm quite fond of the Rambler.

My reality is that most days a Classic would be all I ever need.  :tu:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 09:38:04 PM
Manager usually... especially with alox

If I'm carrying a capable cellidor with plus scales, a classic is sufficient.  I use the pens often.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:43:23 PM
 :like: You and me both Nix.  I did a short experiment for a few days before Christmas.  I packed a bigger SAK and that old red Classic.  I found out I never touched the larger knife the better part of 10 days except for pics, and only used the blade on my Classic save one time I used the scissors to cut open a coffee packet. 
I do the reverse, Nascar: I supplement a primary knife with a 58mm. E.g. I'll carry a Soldier, but then add a Classic to augment the Soldier's tool set. I usually carry a Classic, but I'm quite fond of the Rambler.

My reality is that most days a Classic would be all I ever need.  :tu:
Barry

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 11:19:15 PM
Rambler. Easy. Mine lives on my keyring so I'm never without it. I don't find it too big there at all. :tu:

Combo tool is full of win. That tiny Phillips fits a surprising multitude of sizes and has a magnetized tip. :tu: Bottle opener works fine for me. :tu: Not quite as well as with the bigger models, but hey!

The scissors and blade open away from your keys (should you have your knife on a keyring). More win! :tu: And the scissors are superb. :tu:

A Sportsman and sometimes a Handyman ride shotgun to the Rambler.

The Manager adds a pen to the mix. I may have one, one day! ;) Very handy to have a pen on a knife - especially on your keyring. I think the pen points away from the keys? ???
Rambler

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 11:21:31 PM
Rambler. Easy. Mine lives on my keyring so I'm never without it. I don't find it too big there at all. :tu:

Combo tool is full of win. That tiny Phillips fits a surprising multitude of sizes and has a magnetized tip. :tu: Bottle opener works fine for me. :tu: Not quite as well as with the bigger models, but hey!

The scissors and blade open away from your keys (should you have your knife on a keyring). More win! :tu: And the scissors are superb. :tu:

A Sportsman and sometimes a Handyman ride shotgun to the Rambler.

The Manager adds a pen to the mix. I may have one, one day! ;) Very handy to have a pen on a knife - especially on your keyring. I think the pen points away from the keys? ???

It does, and can be assisted with either the file or combo tool to help with writing.  I keep mine on a small lanyard connected to a carabiner w/my keys so I can slip it off quickly.  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 11:25:03 PM
It does, and can be assisted with either the file or combo tool to help with writing.  I keep mine on a small lanyard connected to a carabiner w/my keys so I can slip it off quickly.  :cheers:
:like:  :cheers:
Rambler

us Offline Joe58

Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 11:41:08 PM
No doubt about it -

Minichamp. It may feel a bit thicker at first over the Classic, but that’s to be expected. After awhile, not noticeable. Or keep the Rambler if you’d like a little thinner, but I like the two blades the Minichamp offers. And the alox Minichamp does feel slimmer in your pocket over the cellidor Model. One of Vic’s best models imho.

:climber:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:42:28 PM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 01:35:31 AM
I like the Signature, I use the scissors and small blade a lot no matter what I carry, and the retractable pen is great. Pairs with almost anything, disappears in your pocket until needed, and a capable stand alone carry.  :salute:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 02:24:42 PM
The Minichamp has my vote. Carried everyday for the last years, it just packs too much utility in such a little size to leave behind.
It's my one and only keychain SAK!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 03:19:12 PM
Allot of mentions for the Minichamp.  I'll have to take a look at that one.  Not sure I've ever had one.  I like the fact someone mentioned it has two blades.  That a main reason I EDC an Executive.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 03:30:58 PM
Having a pen is a good thing for me.  When I can get a pen on my SAK thats a great thing.  Its why I love plus scales so much.  That being said I carry a Manager on my house keys and have for about 7 years running.  The tool set is wonderful and its surprisingly a lot tougher than expected.  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71814.msg1467882.html#msg1467882

I used to carry a Minichamp and have nothing but praise for it.  It is thick but dangling from my keychain it was fine.  I think the Signature sounds like a wonderful SAK.  All the basic features of a Classic with added pen which like I said is a good thing. 

I know for some any added thickness or weight is not desirable.  The added features and benefits of those features I feel are well worth any slight thickness and weight on the 58mms.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 08:02:45 PM
El minichamp is an excellent companion to El Spartan
WP_20171230_08_49_41_Pro (4).jpg
* WP_20171230_08_49_41_Pro (4).jpg (Filesize: 449.73 KB)

it Offline Mini

Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 08:50:43 PM
When I carry a 91mm, I add a classic or a rambler (or sometimes a Executive).
If I can't carry a 91mm and I have to choose a little sak,  I prefer the 74mm size to the 58mm.

Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 01:57:08 PM
... which is exactly why my Executive is always with me when I'm dressed.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 04:24:10 PM
58mm awlways on the keys for mes.  I really appreciate having a pen on the key chain. 

Today it's El Manager paired with El Passenger... and I'm ready for whatever Phillips comes my way.  :SAKnight:
WP_20171231_07_55_54_Pro (4).jpg
* WP_20171231_07_55_54_Pro (4).jpg (Filesize: 409.92 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%