Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread

pomsbz · 495 · 17709

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Wheelchair Accessible - Ben's thread
Reply #450 on: December 17, 2019, 04:21:13 PM
 :tu:.  We get a mix of pull tab and non.  I do like the can opener layer, very multifunctional.   
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #451 on: December 22, 2019, 08:08:57 PM
Today I took a trip into the forest to do a saw off between my SAK's and my LM Charge. I've been playing with the idea of losing the LM out of my bag of late hence the test. I'm using it less and less of late and I keep coming to the conclusion that it's only real advantage is size. There is not a single tool on it that I would choose if I had something else to hand for various reasons.

The SAK's have a pull/push saw and the LM has a pull only configuration. I ran the test with thinner and thicker branches. The wood was dry, we've not had any consistent rain as yet this winter. The branches were super sticky with sap, not sure if that makes a difference.

On trial were an Alox Farmer, A 91mm Camper, a 111mm Outrider and the LM Charge AL.

Farmer: The keyring nub is horrific for saw use, digs sharply into the heel of the hand. The nub has to go for using the Saw to be possible. No idea what they were thinking.
LM Charge AL: It works but the SAK push/pull saws are larger (even the 91mm), and simply do the job with half the effort and time. Perhaps it's due to my lack of knowledge of how to properly use a pull saw which I believe are favoured by the pro's (Silky for example) but it doesn't work for me, unless like all the tools on the LM, I don't have something better to hand.
111mm Outrider: The SAK saw in bigger, what's not to like? It's a great saw with a great length. Unfortunately there is something. Although the ergonomics work perfectly when using the blade, if the blade is folded in and you are using the saw, the blade spine rides way too high and digs into the hand. I've no idea why it rides so high but it utterly negates the advantage of the finger cutouts.
91mm Camper: I wouldn't have believed this going in but it's a clear winner. The ergonomics in hand are great though I could wish the corkscrew sat slightly lower, the saw cuts like a demon and it is the best overall package for the outdoors, everything you want, nothing you don't and a small and light package that belies it's comfortable ergonomics and excellent capabilities. If it was just the keyring nub between it and the Farmer I could just grind off the nub. But it isn't. It's the small blade, tweezers and corkscrew as well. Personally I'm convinced!

So am I keeping my Charge? Hmmm. I will admit to being very tempted to replace it with a mini pliers and the Victorinox or Topeak mini ratchet set, I already have a SAK on my belt. The only thing I would then miss is the diamond file which I rather like.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:26:31 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #452 on: December 23, 2019, 11:21:16 AM
Couple of nubs filed off, me no likey keyring nubs. :) I've now filed them off some 6 SAK's, you'd think I'd be able to do it now without scratching the alox but even when masked with tape I managed. In my defence I was using the file on my LM Charge and I'm hamfisted. :D

I managed to break the flat head off my LM Charge this morning trying to use it as a pry bar. Duh. A neighbour got locked in their bathroom this morning and his wife came round asking for help. In the end I simply put my shoulder into it and almost cracked the door in half. Cheap door, ridiculously tough lock! I've sent a PM to Loki asking for a replacement part. Oh and lesson learnt.  :rofl:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #453 on: December 23, 2019, 02:24:02 PM
The Kipex 125mm pliers seem to be well regarded if you want to ditch your MT  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #454 on: December 23, 2019, 02:55:05 PM
The Kipex 125mm pliers seem to be well regarded if you want to ditch your MT  :dunno:.

I've never used these cobra style pliers before though everyone raves about the Knipex, how are they for non pipe usage? i.e. the stuff we usually use a LM pliers for.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #455 on: December 23, 2019, 03:03:23 PM
I've never used these cobra style pliers before though everyone raves about the Knipex, how are they for non pipe usage? i.e. the stuff we usually use a LM pliers for.

I wish I could tell ya but I dont have one.  From what I also read and hear they are excellent if you don't "need" needle nose. 

I'll want to pick one up at some point.  I can say however that I ditched my MT for daily carry and never looked back.  The need was not there enough to warrant me carrying it.  I could manage with my Squirt in most if not all situations.  My MT usage is work related mostly as well as around the house.  It was an adjustment I'll admit.  I've not missed carrying one off work at all. 

My Explorer and Squirt for off work are a powerful duo.  If those cannot handle the task, so be it.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #456 on: December 23, 2019, 03:25:09 PM
Might be of some interest for you.  He uses inappropriate language and innuendos sorry in advance.   
Show content
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #457 on: December 23, 2019, 03:57:33 PM
Might be of some interest for you.  He uses inappropriate language and innuendos sorry in advance.   
Show content

I'm currently watching this one which is the model with the teeth that I would be interested in.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #458 on: December 23, 2019, 04:04:09 PM
 :salute:

I've never held one nor seen one in person.  I have seen a lot of reviews and all have rated both highly. 
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #459 on: December 23, 2019, 09:11:14 PM
Turns out that I can't find the bits I took out my Charge when I modded it, so much for the idea of selling it on. By the time I've bought the replacement bits I'd have spent $50 just bringing it back to spec on a tool which I don't think would fetch double that for a 2nd hand sale. Not worth selling a Charge AL for $50 right? I'm currently thinking of buying that mini knipex and simply chucking the Charge in my bike bag.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #460 on: December 23, 2019, 10:44:18 PM
Yes, chuck in bike bag.  Its a great tool and tho usage is not as much its still a worthwhile tool.  I've got a few tools in places just for the off chance I'll need them. 
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #461 on: December 24, 2019, 05:36:50 AM
Yes, chuck in bike bag.  Its a great tool and tho usage is not as much its still a worthwhile tool.  I've got a few tools in places just for the off chance I'll need them.

:iagree: thanks for the heads up on the knipex incidentally. I really like the look of it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #462 on: December 24, 2019, 06:03:22 AM
 :tu: its been on my radar for a little while.  Just haven't pulled to trigger. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #463 on: December 24, 2019, 06:49:24 PM
i'm not sure if the bits would decrease the value of your Charge by so much, but even without them it is still a functional and good tool
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #464 on: December 24, 2019, 08:29:34 PM
i'm not sure if the bits would decrease the value of your Charge by so much, but even without them it is still a functional and good tool

I should have been clearer, I meant 'bits I took out' rather than 'screwdriver bits'. My Charge AL currently looks like this:

I still have the serrated blade but I seem have to lost the removed scissors and eyeglass tool. As I just broke the flat head screwdriver yesterday (don't ask), the replacement three tools would cost me $50 which is half the 2nd hand value of the Charge itself. In the end I've just ordered the flat head screwdriver so I can at least return it to it's current configuration. Oh and next time the neighbour locks themselves in the bathroom, I'll start with kicking the door open rather than only doing that after I broke the aforementioned flat head screwdriver trying to pry the stuck handle open.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 08:37:10 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #465 on: December 24, 2019, 08:34:04 PM
That said, I took my 8 year old out biking today. I wasn't riding, I had a 3 year old to run about after. I look around while leaving the house, I wasn't taking my bag, decide on spur of the moment to chuck the LM in my pocket. Of course it saw significant use while out, the pliers to adjust his seat angle and the screwdriver to sort out his gears. It is a really useful 'chuck in your pocket in case' tool. My question is whether the combination of those 125mm Knipex and a Topeak Ratchet tool would answer the same needs in a significantly better fashion given that I already have a SAK on my belt which covers all the rest. I think it would. Next question, um, do I have spare cash now that I can't sell the Charge to offset the new toys.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #466 on: December 25, 2019, 06:24:29 AM
I use Knipex daily at me job. They are hands down the best. I get pissed when my guys don’t put them back where they belong. Which is almost daily.  :rant:

hr Offline styx

Reply #467 on: December 25, 2019, 08:20:35 AM
I should have been clearer, I meant 'bits I took out' rather than 'screwdriver bits'. My Charge AL currently looks like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

I still have the serrated blade but I seem have to lost the removed scissors and eyeglass tool. As I just broke the flat head screwdriver yesterday (don't ask), the replacement three tools would cost me $50 which is half the 2nd hand value of the Charge itself. In the end I've just ordered the flat head screwdriver so I can at least return it to it's current configuration. Oh and next time the neighbour locks themselves in the bathroom, I'll start with kicking the door open rather than only doing that after I broke the aforementioned flat head screwdriver trying to pry the stuck handle open.  ::)

well I'm sure many would call your mods an improvement. and it came in handy with your kids

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #468 on: December 25, 2019, 08:56:18 AM
well I'm sure many would call your mods an improvement. and it came in handy with your kids

It's been handy for the years I've had it in my bag. Thing is that since I stopped commuting by bike and now that I've left work, I just don't have much use for it any more on a day to day basis and more to the point, when I do use it, I'm always wishing I had a different tool. A proper screwdriver with 1/4" bits that don't strip heads, better pliers, a better saw, a bigger file, etc, etc.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #469 on: December 25, 2019, 03:53:52 PM
Your outing with the kids is a good example of how our MTs are nice to have.  Not the perfect tool but useful.  There are better options but for a just in case scenario a MT earns its keep in most cases. 

Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #470 on: December 25, 2019, 05:23:56 PM
Your outing with the kids is a good example of how our MTs are nice to have.  Not the perfect tool but useful.  There are better options but for a just in case scenario a MT earns its keep in most cases. 

Well the blinds in the kids bedroom broke just before they were going to bed, cable snapped, one of the slats badly bent, etc. Guess what did a whole bunch of work? I think it's been praying hard ever since I started thinking about selling it  :rofl:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #471 on: April 12, 2020, 08:09:46 PM
Gosh I'm behind on this thread!

Updates:

The black etsy scales shown on the last page, not good enough, they simply aren't the exactly correct dimensions leaving a tiny lip of metal around the edge which scraped across the skin. Thumbs down.

I died my Spartan's nylon scales black, didn't work very well, tried to sand it back to red and stopped when I realised I had a cool look going.

I've become hooked on my Spartan. It's just so useful! I can't stop having to use it constantly for stuff. Whether opening paint tins to screwing in chairs to prying stuff, to undoing knots in a tarp at night in a howling wind and rain and so very much cutting. I took apart my sons bike using just it and the Knipex 125 pliers mentioned above (which incidentally are brilliant) I just can't go back to a simple pocket knife any more, I need the tools! Consider me fully hooked on the utility of the thing.

My LM Charge is now in the car and hasn't been used in ages. The combination of the Spartan and the Knipex answer all my needs pretty much.

I sold my beautiful little GEC #18 Coyote and replaced it with a SAK Waiter as my new suit knife.

The Waiter is knife as a suit knife but IMO not much else. I'm carrying it for a full week as a trial and I'm really missing the utility of two blades, having to nose grease off sticky gunk (I was bookbinding) so I could cut up an apple - I'd been used to that in the Pioneer days but it's annoying me now. The blade length is also just a bit too short for my tastes and specifically for cutting apples. I run out of sharpened edge and the kick starts mushing the edge of the slice. Most of all the scales are getting to me. They're just not 'posh' enough for a suit knife. Too utilitarian. I'm thinking that carbon fibre would be so much nicer (and probably cost twice the price of the knife  :D). I bought the ecoline model for my preferred nylon scales, I'm going to try dying them black and see if they appeal to me more.

If anyone has good leads on well made higher end scales for 91mm and 84mm sak's I'm interested. Must preserve the tweezers, etc and be a perfect fit. I'm interested in carbon fibre, wood and micarta.

What else is new? My DD Tarp has finally died, strong winds and it ripped inside the seam. It had been much abused over the years. I'm thinking of getting a Kalico 10x10ft tarp, it looks identical in every way to the DD and it's significantly cheaper. I'll just have to wait though for the crisis to be over and Amazon to start shipping out here again. They've stopped for the moment. Another one which has caught my eye is the Gold Armour 12x10ft tarp which is even cheaper and has a zillion connection points.

Been looking for a headlamp of late, my teeth getting tired of holding a big flashlight between them. Currently looking at the Nitecore NU25 which looks like a nice overall solution. Also thinking of getting a Klarus USB Rechargeable 14500 battery for my Eagletac D25A Clicky (my keychain light) to upgrade the power significantly. Basically trying to move away from carrying the big flashlights if I can get away with smaller ones.

hr Offline styx

Reply #472 on: April 13, 2020, 10:33:40 AM
only thing i can add is that those scales really do look cool

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #473 on: April 13, 2020, 07:50:28 PM
Thanks!

Just tried opening a can with the combo tool. Wow but that sucked badly. I'd assumed it would be as easy and pleasant to use as the opener on my LM Charge which is also backwards action. Boy was I wrong. The combo tool is thick and blunt, there isn't much grip on the 84mm tool and the corkscrew and keyring dug into my hand hard enough to leave marks that still haven't faded. The edge of the can is jagged on both sides. I'd call using this thing on this knife a penance. Emergencies only. I'm not a fan of the regular SAK front opener but it's a sheer joy in comparison to the combo tool! It is hereby relegated to opening bottles only.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:58:46 PM by pomsbz »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #474 on: April 13, 2020, 07:54:03 PM
I too find the blades on the 84mm and 91mm at times short.  Getting by sometimes is enough so I still carry either.  The combo tool is sufficient if needed but I much prefer the standard opener.  You'd be hard pressed to compare your Knipex to most any MT.  Your Knipex likely would beat the tar out of most if not all MT challengers.   
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #475 on: April 13, 2020, 08:00:04 PM
I too find the blades on the 84mm and 91mm at times short.  Getting by sometimes is enough so I still carry either.  The combo tool is sufficient if needed but I much prefer the standard opener.  You'd be hard pressed to compare your Knipex to most any MT.  Your Knipex likely would beat the tar out of most if not all MT challengers.   

It does despite being the smallest size they make, my Charge didn't come close, I was loosing rusted bolts that I wouldn't have dared torque onto with my Charge. I'm very impressed with the Knipex.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #476 on: April 13, 2020, 08:01:37 PM
The space saved with the combo tool for me is not enough benefit to not liking the tool.  I prefer both opening tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #477 on: April 14, 2020, 09:33:28 AM
The space saved with the combo tool for me is not enough benefit to not liking the tool.  I prefer both opening tools.

I fully agree, I never wanted the can opener tool, I don't particularly like opening cans with it, that is until I started using it for a whole bunch of other stuff, screwdriver, scoring packaging, metal finger nail, etc, etc. Now I wouldn't swap it for anything! I bought the 84mm Waiter as a suit knife, I've been trying it on a regular day to day basis this week but it's come up short.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #478 on: April 14, 2020, 03:36:09 PM
For me it was the 84mm Golfer and Yeoman that shut the door on the combo tool.  I have a Bantam that I want to love but same feeling about the combo tool.  Those 3 SAK should have been perfect for me.  They are great SAK no doubt but I'll take the 2 openers over the combo tool.  I do open cans but theres more use for the can opener that just cans. 

Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #479 on: April 14, 2020, 04:21:10 PM
For me it was the 84mm Golfer and Yeoman that shut the door on the combo tool.  I have a Bantam that I want to love but same feeling about the combo tool.  Those 3 SAK should have been perfect for me.  They are great SAK no doubt but I'll take the 2 openers over the combo tool.  I do open cans but theres more use for the can opener that just cans. 

I have a feeling it would be considerably better if it was ground down to create more of an edge. Similar to the Leatherman reverse opener claw. Past my skill set however.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%