Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Urban EDC bag

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
My Urban EDC bag
on: November 06, 2008, 03:58:58 PM
After joining this forum last year I had been wanting to buy my very own EDC bag. I have been eyeing the maxpedition fat boy versipack and is planning to buy one. But one faithfull day in July while me and the missus was malling we went to The Travel Club store and found my perfect Urban EDC light bag.
The Victorinox Vertical Deluxe Travel companion:

For me this is the perfect EDC bag because will be using it mostly in the city, its sheepy friendly unlike the more tactical fat boy which is great if you are out of the city.
First pocket I put my cellphones

Second pocket bank cards, IDs, drivers licence, lens wiper, keys, pen, small notebook and tissue paper.

Side pocket Juice cs4, There is also a side pocket on the otherside for small water bottles.

Main pocket plastic organizer, extra multitool, phone chargers etc.

I sling it to the left because my right hip has my main EDC and my L2D light.
Comments and suggestions on my edc bag is welcome? Suggestion for additional items to put on my edc bag is most welcome? :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:37:13 AM by duckman1975 »
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: My Urban EDC bag
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 04:27:22 PM
Great bag!  I have a Wenger/Swiss Gear bag and I love it. 

As for what to carry in there, you should look into a bike tool- the variety of wrenches and allen keys could be very handy to have.  I'd also consider a bit extender and bit kit to add versatility to your multitool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:31:42 PM
Thanks Def! My only first aid item on my bag is a band aid and an alcohol bottle, do you carry a first aid kit on your bag. What are the essensials? Thanks again. :salute:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 04:34:20 PM
Great pictures, duckman.  The plastic storage organizer is a neat idea.  I have something similar for my PPC, phone, multitool, flashlight, knives, etc.  It's a black, Molle-style urban pouch/shoulder bag with more pockets than I can count.  It was originally intended for paintball/airsoft skirmishes but I thought it would be great for urban EDC.  I think I paid $15 bucks for it on eBay (brand new).
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:30:27 PM
A sheeple friendly bag!  :D

Looks pretty neat that  :tu:
I'm back!!

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 07:51:41 PM
Very nice back Donald. From what mall did you buy the bag?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 07:52:25 PM
Look's a handy wee bag mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 08:32:23 PM
I like it. It looks to be a bit bigger than my Thermite Versipak, but it's definitely more "city slicker" :D

I used to come here a lot.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 10:28:56 PM
Great pictures, duckman.  The plastic storage organizer is a neat idea.  I have something similar for my PPC, phone, multitool, flashlight, knives, etc.  It's a black, Molle-style urban pouch/shoulder bag with more pockets than I can count.  It was originally intended for paintball/airsoft skirmishes but I thought it would be great for urban EDC.  I think I paid $15 bucks for it on eBay (brand new).
Thanks pyrojames, if you can please post pics of your bag and you can never have enough pockets on your bag  :D wish mine have more pockets.
Thanks ben, mickyd, davek. Its definitely a "city slicker" bag :D One of the reason I bought it is because of the look, after 9/11 airport security seems to be scared of anything tactical.
Very nice bag Donald. From what mall did you buy the bag?
Thanks Eddie, bought my bag at Travel Club SM Clark but I see them available at almost all Travel Club stores at almost all SM branches.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:32:03 PM
Thanks pyrojames, if you can please post pics of your bag and you can never have enough pockets on your bag  :D wish mine have more pockets.
Thanks ben, mickyd, davek. Its definitely a "city slicker" bag :D One of the reason I bought it is because of the look, after 9/11 airport security seems to be scared of anything tactical.
Thanks Eddie, bought my bag at Travel Club SM Clark but I see them available at almost all Travel Club stores at almost all SM branches.

Has anyone really had any grief for having a "tactical" bag?

I don't even think people in the UK would have probs with that.  It is after all, a bag.
I'm back!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 10:38:00 PM

I don't even think people in the UK would have probs with that.  It is after all, a bag.
Haven't owned a tactical bag yet  :-[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 02:41:54 AM

Nah, people just mostly assume you're gay of you're a bloke with a handbag, but no grief - just p**s taking.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 06:56:39 AM

Nah, people just mostly assume you're gay of you're a bloke with a handbag, but no grief - just p**s taking.

Murse is becoming mainstream now, just observe the streets and you'll see. And whats gay about a handbag with a blade and a glock :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 09:36:11 AM
Other than  being ninja-black, my bag isn't remotely tactical.

or urban for that matter.

From now I on, I don't buy anything without at least two Go-Fast adjectives.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 10:07:34 AM
Other than  being ninja-black, my bag isn't remotely tactical.

or urban for that matter.

From now I on, I don't buy anything without at least two Go-Fast adjectives.

Condoms???

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 12:04:19 PM
Very nice Dman! :tu:

you can never really have everything you need (but we try!)
the only thing(s) I would recommend adding is some cord (string, rope, para etc)
at least 10 feet (more is better) because you can use it for so many things, tying things together,
tying up somebody!, emergency uses, shoe laces, and so much more.

also maybe a bic lighter (even a mini) because fire is one of our best friends ;)

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 02:11:44 PM
Very nice Dman! :tu:

you can never really have everything you need (but we try!)
the only thing(s) I would recommend adding is some cord (string, rope, para etc)
at least 10 feet (more is better) because you can use it for so many things, tying things together,
tying up somebody!, emergency uses, shoe laces, and so much more.

also maybe a bic lighter (even a mini) because fire is one of our best friends ;)
Thanks WD, I already have 5 yards of paracord will buy more, also have a bic lighter in the organizer. Would you recommend a firesteel? or is it over kill.
Looking for basic first aid kit suggestions also.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 02:27:21 PM
You got a very very nice EDC bag, Donald! :salute: How much does it cost?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:47:42 PM by Teofilo »

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 03:22:11 PM
firesteels are very nice, I have several, and different sizes plus I have bright, full/unused bic lighters.
I like having many forms of fire starting, just in case.

different folks, different strokes and needs and bags/edc's. I have several, small ones for on me, bigger
ones I keep in the car, bigger ones I use when going on long trips. their is so much stuff you can have
in a first aid kit, from bandages (many sizes) to blood clotters (quik-clot and celox).

it really depends of what you want to carry and have with you. at least bandages (small and med)
maybe a Sam Splint or bandage roll and something to clean wounds, I use packaged/individual handy wipes
(you get them free at some fast food places here). That should be easy to carry in smaller packs.

I also like to carry Bandannas - bright color, 100% cotton, good for splints, signaling and runny noses!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 05:07:49 PM
BSA Hot spark does not take up much room at all. Infact you could probably use it as a zipper pull.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 05:32:20 PM

That sounds more likely.  :D
I'm back!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 12:22:16 AM
You got a very very nice EDC bag, Donald! :salute: How much does it cost?
Thanks Gene, I got it for 3,900 pesos around 82 dollars at Travel Club SM clark.
Thanks for the suggestions guys  :salute:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 03:21:47 AM
As an owner of one of these.  A nice bag.  But possibly may not have the payload capability :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 04:06:24 AM
As an owner of one of these.  A nice bag.  But possibly may not have the payload capability :think:
Yup I have the same problem, its on the small size. How do you organize yours BigT? Please post some picture if its okay. Thnaks

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 05:32:35 PM
Ah, more bag based EDC..  :D excellent...

I suggest adding one of these:

http://www.dougritter.com/psp_index.htm

Contents:

-Spark-Lite™ Firestarter - current U.S. military issue, waterproof, useable one-handed, over 1000 sparkings in tests
-4 Spark-Lite™ Tinder-Quik™ - current U.S. military issue, waterproof, wax impregnated cotton tinder in zip-top plastic bag, each burns 2-3 minutes
-Fox-40® Rescue Howler™ Survival Whistle - designed exclusively for this kit, triple frequency, exceeds U.S. Coast Guard and SOLAS specifications, bright yellow with dual mode lanyard hole
-Rescue Flash™ Signal Mirror, 2 x 3 inches (5 x 7.6 cm) Lexan™ polycarbonate with mil-spec style retro-reflective aiming aid for one-handed use, instructions on back, protective cover to prevent scratches while stored in the kit, lanyard hole.
-20mm Survival Compass - liquid damped with groove to accept an improvised lanyard ring
-Duct Tape - 26 inches x 2 inches (66 x 5 cm), rolled around plastic mandrel, repairs, first aid, the ultimate repair and improvisation component, uses limited only by your imagination
-Stainless Steel Utility Wire - 6 ft. of .020 inch (1.83 m x 0.5 mm) mil-spec grade, stronger than brass, won't get brittle in frigid cold, multiple uses
-Braided Nylon Cord - 10 ft. (3 m) 150+ lb. (68+ kg) test, won't unravel, shelter building, repairs and much more
-#69 Black Nylon Thread - 50 ft. (15.2 m), 10.5 lb. (4.8 kg) test, repairs, fishing line, light duty lashing and much more
-Fishing Kit - 4 x medium Fish Hooks, 2 x Split Shot and 1 x Snap Swivel, in a clear plastic vial with cap.
-Heavy Duty Sewing Needle - will penetrate heavy materials, easy to grip, large eye for easy threading
-4 Safety Pins - repairs, secure items to prevent loss and much more
-Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil - 3 sq. ft. (0.9 sq. m), make container to boil water, reflect fire heat and much more
-#2 Pencil and Waterproof Notepaper - 2 pieces 2.125 x 3.667 inches (5.4 x 9.3 cm), leave notes, memory aid, keep log
-#22 Scalpel Blade - stainless steel, in sealed foil packaging, more functional than a single-edged razor blade
-Kit Specific Illustrated Survival Instructions - authored by Doug Ritter, 33 illustrations, on waterproof paper, detailed, easy to understand, practical information
-Contents List - viewable through pouch back so anyone can see what's inside even if kit's owner can no longer assist, annotated, complements Survival Instructions, can be used as tinder
-Fresnel Lens Magnifier - 2 x 3 inches (5 x 7.6 cm), in protective sleeve, read small type in survival instructions if glasses lost, start fire using sun
-Pocketsize Clear Vinyl Pouch - 4 x 5 inches (10.2 x 12.7 cm), 4 x 3.25 inches (10.2 x 8.3 cm) with top folded over, waterproof zip-top closure, lanyard hole, it really does fit in your pocket.

Yes, you can design your own and put it in a tin and that can be fun. But this one from Doug Ritter is just so compact and well thought out. It fits in a pants pocket and takes up about the same space in a bag as a small moleskine.

A small tube of cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue, Krazy Glue, etc.) is also amazingly useful, and easy to EDC. The one I carry right now has a brush in the cap and is twist closed. Next to my MT and a Bic lighter, I use the glue more often than anything else probably. Small cuts can be glued closed, any pesky broken bit can be fixed on the spot.. I have used it to seal seams in fabric in place of pins and then sew them shut for a perfect fix. When the heater knob on my truck broke off on a bitter cold day, I pulled out the glue and it has never been a problem since.

Like a MT, Krazy Glue is one of those things that you may not think you need until you start carrying it. Then suddenly all those minor irritations and problems become resolved in a flash and it fast becomes a must carry.

Other than that, I'd suggest hand wipes or hand sanitizer. Getting sick is not a priority for me, and clean hands are said to be the front line defense against colds. A little OCD is good to have in your EDC.
G

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 05:41:06 PM
Thanks Glorn looking at the site now. Welcome to the Forum buddy :D

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 05:52:05 PM
Aaargh.. meant to talk about the tactical bag issue and the "Hey, look at the man with the bag! He must be a homosexual!" thing..

I have never gotten any comment or looks as far as I know that relate to my bag being tactical. If anything, a tactical bag minimizes the homosexuality aspersions.

Given that in my opinion, any man that would see another man with a bag and thereby conclude that he must be gay is probably ill at ease with his own preferences. And I mean that. That same sort of man would view a bag with a militant look as being acceptable due to appearance alone. I suspect I could be carrying a bag around full of eyeliner, cotton balls, rubber dongs, and a can of Diet Squirt, and so long as it is Realtree camo on the outside, I'd get no hassle from less intelligent/secure men.

My Fatboy is OD green, and is filled mostly with items that even the most cretinous macho moron would probably find acceptable or even worthy of approval. And if a Tide pen, some TP, and a packet of diaper ointment for my daughter makes me queer in someone else's eyes, then so be it. When the sh!t hits the fan they can ask someone else for a spare battery or a portion of the rabbit I am cooking over the fire I made.

;)    
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:57:43 PM by glorn »
G

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 05:55:52 PM
Lo gorn - very well said mate.

Someone asked me if my Maxpedition bag was a gas-mask the other day. I'm not sure if they were serious or not  ???

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 06:13:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I am EDC obsessed, and thus always happy to discuss things one might want to carry until the sun comes up. I can offer plenty of direction in that area.

To dovetail all of this into MT.org territory, I bought the very first MT Gerber made back in the early nineties I suppose it was, and that singular item was what began my EDC obsession. I quickly added a Maglite, and almost immediately came to the question: "How did I ever get by without these?"

A lighter, the light, and the MT were constant companions, and when I was a college brat sleeping on floors/couches and in corridors I added an old Vietnam issue backpack with toiletries and spare clothing so that I could be self-reliant no matter where I found my bed. And it made a good pillow..

I still carry that need to feel prepared and ready to go no matter where I am or how comfortable my life has become. My "murse" is on my shoulder and my dop kit is in the truck.. If I can grab my duffel and toss in some clothes, I am packed and ready to travel. Heck, I can buy clothes when I get there, screw the duffel!

8) 
G

us Offline David

Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 07:08:12 PM
Duckman glad you found a bag that works for you. I`ve been using a Eagle A-III for many years. I`ve been given alot of bs about that over the years. But when things are needed in a situation and I pull out a tool to fix the problem or a granola bar to help ease their hunger then they are silenced. I was a boy scout and I believe in being prepared for what ever life throws at you. Theres alot more to survival than wilderness type survival.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD