Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to: old type can opener

de Offline Shuya

How to: old type can opener
on: January 10, 2018, 07:04:02 AM
Hi folks,
I recently bought a 1908 type soldier without date plus a 1959 soldier.
Both got the old type can opener and I currently take a break of all my heavy edc and just slip the '59 into my pockets.

Yesterday I needed to open a can, and besides several trials I failed big time. After like 10 awkward minutes with laughing girlfriend I went to get my Wenger SI and do the job in no time.
I havent found a tutorial yet, all youtube videos Ive seen are about the newer ones.

Can someone enlighten me?

Regards Michael

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: How to: old type can opener
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:51:52 AM
Hi folks,
I recently bought a 1908 type soldier without date plus a 1959 soldier.
Both got the old type can opener and I currently take a break of all my heavy edc and just slip the '59 into my pockets.

Yesterday I needed to open a can, and besides several trials I failed big time. After like 10 awkward minutes with laughing girlfriend I went to get my Wenger SI and do the job in no time.
I havent found a tutorial yet, all youtube videos Ive seen are about the newer ones.

Can someone enlighten me?

Regards Michael

I carried an undated Wenger 1908 Soldier for a challenge and seem to recall trying to get the can opener to work with limited success. I think I got a can open but it took time and it wasn't a very clean cut.
My best guess is simply that the new ones are that much better (or that the older ones require a certain touch).

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:52:56 AM
MTO to the rescue :

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=24542.0

and a photograph from the thread

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:12:42 AM
MTO to the rescue :

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=24542.0

and a photograph from the thread

(Image removed from quote.)

A quick test reveals that this solution does indeed work fairly well. The first puncture is the "scary" part since you're effectively putting force towards closing the tool.

A few notes for the modern user though. 1) With these knives being fairly old I would hate to have all the springs filled with whatever liquid your canned goods of choice is filled with. 2) I had a go at a modern, pull tab (i.e. not made to open with can opener) can and it left small flakes of the plastic liner on the tool that would probably have gone in the content too. Maybe it works better on cans that need an opener.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 11:04:20 PM
Keep in mind that cans were made of tin plate soldered together when this design originated. 
A modern steel can is too hard and strong for this design to open safely.
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD