Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Round and round we go..............

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Round and round we go..............
on: August 05, 2020, 04:47:16 PM
Pick your poison, MTs, SAKs, Lights, Gear bags, Guns, Folders, Camping gears, etc etc etc.   Round and round we go where we stop nobody knows. 

I've not been on this journey as long as some but I do know its a heck of a journey.  Just finished a 30 Traditional folder journey.  It was a fun 30 challenge.  I encourage anyone who has not participated in one to give it a go.  I seem to be on a traditional folder kick.  It sort of began a while ago but it never got legs.  I looked at them and fondled a few but didn't take the time to study the patterns or makers.  I ventured into traditional folders but paused as my MT journey was in full swing. 

With a little more knowledge and a little more scrutiny about my purchases we'll see how this plays out. 

Anyone recently begun a new journey? 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Round and round we go..............
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 05:02:05 PM
Kind of gotten more into fixed blades recently, but haven't got the funds to get a lot of cool stuff at the moment :rofl:
Started making my own, but not much time to work on it with a 6 month old at home.
And hand filing takes a looong time (knifemaking in an apartment is not the most efficient way to do it :facepalm: )

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 05:50:54 PM
I'm re-evaluating my keychain carry, yet again.  It has always been a backup, and I've never given too much thought into it.  So after having done three 30-day challenges this year (where I took off all the tools from my key-chain to stay true to the challenge) I've been thinking of what to put back on the keychain.

I'm posting an unused, and mostly uncarried Griffin Pocket Tool on the Trade forum.
The Classic has stayed off the keychain because it's in need of an upgrade at this point.
I've not yet committed to the Micra, and I am pocket carrying it... actually doing a challenge of sorts, to determine if it's the way to go. 

The Gerber Dime is looking enticing, with the package opener. 

:ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:19:36 PM
Knife making sounds fun.  I can imagine with a baby and living in a flat its challenging to say the least. 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:20:30 PM
Knife making sounds fun.  I can imagine with a baby and living in a flat its challenging to say the least.
You got that right, but it's a lot of fun when I have the time :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:22:11 PM
I get inspired to do stock removal on old files I can source at the flea market.  Then something else comes along to dissuade me.  I figure large files would be a good way to cut my teeth and have a little fun for not much money invested. 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 09:49:28 PM
I get inspired to do stock removal on old files I can source at the flea market.  Then something else comes along to dissuade me.  I figure large files would be a good way to cut my teeth and have a little fun for not much money invested.
If you have a grinder it would work :tu:
If you are planning on handfiling you are better off with buying a cheap carbon steel as you won't have to anneal it first :tu:
And getting a known steel type might be best for heat treating anyway if you the best result possible :tu:
Or you could temper it after grinding as long as you keep it cool while grinding.
I did with one file from a fleamarket, but haven't tried drilling holes to fasten scales yet :facepalm:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 10:02:04 PM
Focusing more on Byrd and Spyderco knives since we're doing the challenge. I don't own very many because Spyderco especially are expensive. Serrated ones seem to be more affordable on the secondary market, perhaps because most people like PE. Except you've got to be careful to make sure the serrations aren't damaged or resharpened crudely.

I am also getting into antique knife repair and restoration. I've acquired so many knives that are unusable as they sit, but are repairable.  I have very few of the tools and zilch knowhow.

se Offline RF52

Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 10:20:26 PM
Focusing more on Byrd and Spyderco knives since we're doing the challenge. I don't own very many because Spyderco especially are expensive. Serrated ones seem to be more affordable on the secondary market, perhaps because most people like PE. Except you've got to be careful to make sure the serrations aren't damaged or resharpened crudely.

I am also getting into antique knife repair and restoration. I've acquired so many knives that are unusable as they sit, but are repairable.  I have very few of the tools and zilch knowhow.
The restoration sounds interesting :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 06:31:20 AM
I do have a grinder.  We'll see tho.  So many things that I'd like to try. 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline RF52

Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 10:43:08 AM
So many things so little time.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 12:28:00 PM
You got that right, but it's a lot of fun when I have the time :tu:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 12:28:39 PM

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 12:35:56 PM
For some time now, I have a few ideas on some leather work projects (sheaths, wallets, bags...). I take a lot of time before I really do something, though (yup, she keeps saying that, too). Know the old saying "measure twice, cut once"? Well, I'm more of a "measure twenty times, don't cut it right now" kind o'guy.

:facepalm:

Still, even with that handycap, I manage to get a few things done that actually don't look/work half bad. It helps getting the measuring time down and the cut it awlready time up. Maybe I'll have some new stuff to show soon.

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline RF52

Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 12:42:05 PM
For some time now, I have a few ideas on some leather work projects (sheaths, wallets, bags...). I take a lot of time before I really do something, though (yup, she keeps saying that, too). Know the old saying "measure twice, cut once"? Well, I'm more of a "measure twenty times, don't cut it right now" kind o'guy.

:facepalm:

Still, even with that handycap, I manage to get a few things done that actually don't look/work half bad. It helps getting the measuring time down and the cut it awlready time up. Maybe I'll have some new stuff to show soon.

8) 8)
:popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 03:19:26 PM
The restoration sounds interesting :tu:

:iagree: With so many banged up knives this could be a fun and potential lucrative hobby. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 03:21:11 PM
@pfrsantos, I haven't made anything in leather in a while.  Partly due to lack of materials and partly due to me recently buying an inexpensive knife slip for a pattern yet liking it so much. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 03:23:19 PM
@ElevenBlade, I know what you mean about keychains  :facepalm:.  I fool with mine and have over and over but I end up with the same configuration mostly.  I've taken everything off and its been great, until that moment when I've needed something.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 06:12:49 PM
@ElevenBlade, I know what you mean about keychains  :facepalm:.  I fool with mine and have over and over but I end up with the same configuration mostly.  I've taken everything off and its been great, until that moment when I've needed something.

Yep.... just going in circles... Round and Round and Round  :ahhh

Theres the Classic, but the scissors will be too small.... then theres the Micra, but getting the blade out will be a pain... then theres nothing because I'm fed up..... then theres the Classic because I got a splinter yesterday..... then theres the Micra because the scissors were too small.... then I used the micro-SD on the Micra for tmy eyeglasses, and I can't afford to be blind as a bat so I keep the Micra on, until I need to open a package with the blade....  and then I'm happy with the small size of the Classic until I'm irked by the small size of its scissors....

:ahhh

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 06:40:11 PM
I've disappeared down a Warhammer 40K rabbit hole.
Lots of building and painting models, kitbashing and dioramas. So much fun. Love the dark dark humour of 40K.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 05:20:15 AM
 :like:

Good to see you. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: August 29, 2022, 06:41:08 PM
While I can be said to be still going round and round.  I am not going round as fast.  The "rotations" are slower for me these days.  I'll probably always be tempted by something sharp and thats ok.  I can say that those temptations are less frequent.  I am more discerning of what I'll buy these days. 

I took a heck of a ride down the rabbit hole of traditional folders.  Heck of a journey.  Lots of fun.  Its been quite a good time learning and carrying these wonderful knives.  I've spent nearly all my time on MTO in the traditional knife threads. 

While the rotations round and round are less I do believe for me it wont stop.  I have some really great things.  I have such a hard time choosing what to carry which is awesome. 

My last sentence was "With a little more knowledge and a little more scrutiny about my purchases we'll see how this plays out".  Well my last purchase was a Tony Bose Premium Stockman which came with a Limited Tony Bose ( his face ) etched Tribal Lock.  It got a great deal so it was an easy buy. 

Its been in my pocket since getting it and its thoroughly enjoyed. 

I've recently gone thru one of my phases of looking at all the things I don't carry as burdens/neglect.  It passes quickly but in that moment I feel a strong desire to began to carry more of the things I have. 

Round and round we go.     
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Echotech

Reply #22 on: August 30, 2022, 11:13:38 AM
Round and round indeed Aloha

I too have many knives, MT’s mostly LM’s and particularly SAK’s, many many SAKs :)

And also like you have become more discerning, now just picking up the annual LE SAK’s and gaps in my collections plus the odd item that catches my eye, the CRKT Catchall I’ve recently ordered for example

Do I need it, haha very unlikely, but do I want to give it a go, hell yeah :tu:

But the bottom line for me is I get great enjoyment out my collections, whether just carrying something different every day, using them in challenges (most enjoyable) or just posting pics and mucking about with them

As I say to my friends and family, if I added up what I’d spent on the entire lot it still wouldn’t be as much as one friend spent on his bicycle or another on a boat, and I reckon I get way more use and fun out of mine

Strikes me that everyone should have an interest or two and this is ours, more power to us I reckon

:cheers:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 04, 2022, 02:44:06 AM
Not really going round and round different tools options - For me I just stick with SAKs and Leathermans

Sometimes I think I should try some others like SOGs and Gerbers - and it seems like there are some great non-brand tools out there - But I dont go there

Also never understood the trad folder thing - Many are beautiful creations of course - But they seem so expensive
And when a SAK (or LM) will do all the knife things I need to do ..... plus you get additional tools to boot - A single (or dual) blade folder just does not make sense!!

I do go round and round the Wiki - There is always work and projects to do there

And I have said to myself I am not buying any more SAKs - But of course am kidding myself and tend to go for a few special ones every now and again - Eg I got the orange Annual Hunter Pro, and this very nice Wenger recently:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,89809.msg2365516.html#msg2365516 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 10:38:37 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: September 04, 2022, 07:33:39 AM
We all appreciate the work you put into the wiki.   :hatsoff:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 05, 2022, 05:47:08 PM
Also never understood the trad folder thing - Many are beautiful creations of course - But they seem so expensive
And when a SAK (or LM) will do all the knife things I need to do ..... plus you get additional tools to boot - A single (or dual) blade folder just does not make sense!!

I believe it was CBL who described knives as pocket jewelry, and I suppose there is some truth to that.

In terms of cost, there are a number of traditional and single blade folders available for prices comparable to many SAKs.

SAK blades are serviceable for most tasks, but options are limited with regard to blade size, shape, steel, etc., so they aren’t necessarily the best choice for pure cutting tasks.

Finally, for messy or dirty tasks (e.g. food, field dressing game, gardening), a knife with just one or a couple of blades is faster and easier to clean than a tool with many blades.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 06, 2022, 03:03:07 AM
Fair enough and good points Nate - Thanks    :D     :salute: 

And as always - You get the tools you need acccording to your own individual needs - And everyone's need are, least somewhat, different!!

And thank you Aloha - Comments like that mean a lot to me/us   :tu:    :D 

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #27 on: September 06, 2022, 03:53:23 PM
+1 to that with the Wiki. On more than one occasion it has reminded me how much I’ve got out of this hobby (whichever bit I’m in right now) and the pleasure of the company of others here. And just when you think you might’ve tired of posting or reading about something another corridor of interest opens up in front of you. Practically a SAK does me most days and often that can be a Classic but that simply isn’t the point.

And I’ve only ever posted on this board a handful of times. So I’m just saying … it’s an interest that’s still giving  :hatsoff:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: September 07, 2022, 01:17:56 AM
Traditional folders.  Not exactly sure what to say.  I guess like any good hobby it is something that clicks with us.  Not unlike SAKs or MTs or lights or whatever gear one fancies. 

In terms of pure practicality, a SAK would be a terrific choice.  Thing is, its not purely a matter of practicality.  I can carry both to be fair.  58s ride so easily in most any pocket or dangle fine off a keyring.

Its that sense of connection to a thing for me at least.  Bone or stag and steel have a way about them.  Pocket jewelry is fine but in some way it not quite accurate, at least not for me. 

Pretty sure no one would consider my nearly 90 year old stockman pretty in the jewelry sense.  Nor a few of the trads I carry.  In many ways unless you know what I'm carrying or are into trads they might very well be ignored. 

What we carry has to mean something to us, again thats how I see it.  I don't carry anything for others to see and admire.  There has to be usefulness beyond being pretty.  I know there are many who carry simply because its pricy or sought after in our community.  Again the average person wouldn't notice so unless you're taking pictures and posting online who's gonna know?

Trads for me are steps back in time.  To simpler times.  The materials are basic.  The structure is basic.  In most cases the steel is simple.  Its like how some are infatuated with Opinels.   I'd even consider SAKs to be rather simple affairs.  Its probably why they've got such love. 

Trads are pure and simple a tool for cutting.  Most time when I use another tool I'm near them.  Can opener, driver, or even the corkscrew are all available to me, usually.  A single bladed tool is straight forward.  It cuts.  No complicating what to carry.  No deciding how many layers.  No figuring out anything.  A trad is simple.  In that way it harkens back to simple times and for me thats a good thing. 

Yeah I'll still carry a SAK but thats the gear head in me.     
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $157.00
PayPal Fees: $8.59
Net Balance: $148.41
Below Goal: $151.59
Site Currency: USD