Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite SAK/multitool combos

NutSAK · 4412 · 166435

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Favorite SAK/multitool combos
Reply #2730 on: August 29, 2018, 08:24:11 PM
Nice.  This is very much in line with what this thread was supposed to be about--the combos and why we carry those particular items together.

Now it's just, "here's a pic of the combo that's in my pocket!" which isn't so bad, but it would be nice for users to discuss why they chose them specifically.

That's why I drifted away from this thread, because it just became "what combo are you carrying today". For what it's worth my favourite combos are probably the same as what I first showed buried in this thread about 80+ pages ago :D

My Fuse-ilier and friends did most of the work at the UK meet, and notching a pole for a gas lantern this weekend was actually the first time the Fuse-ilier saw had ever been used.  :ahhh The yellow Climber Small and KF4 are the lighter weight outdoors pairing for when I don't fancy lugging round the full bright orange ensemble. Both combos are the primary choices for out walking or camping.

The MP426 mod still pairs well with a slippy, as does the Spirit X with a Swiss knife with Phillips. The TurboDiesel mod and Soft Touch 14 (sometimes with a modern clipped folder too) are another rock solid combo. The MP6000 mod, DEsTroyer mod, and Schrade Vise Grip LC6 are a toolbox combo which don't get regular carry, but get brought out when the tasks call for more than a regular tool can handle.

The Sideclip pairs beautifully with any Swiss knife that doesn't have a Phillips, as does the Neutered Octane mod, and the Knifeless Wave mod plus a Cybertool is a good catch-all combo if I'm away from home for any length of time, and don't fancy carrying a locking bladed Spirit. Despite all this, the combo most likely to be on me at any time is my keyring set up or my neck lanyard array.

I will do a little mixing and matching on a whim, but those combos are all tried and tested in terms of function, weight/bulk, and social acceptance where applicable. It takes a lot of the headache out of choosing tool combos when you know that such pairings work together so well.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2731 on: August 29, 2018, 11:12:23 PM
Nice one, 50ft, and mine are very similar to what they were 10 years ago as well. It's obvious that I'm not the only sick-o that puts so much thought into it.

But where are the pics?  ???

:D
- Terry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2732 on: August 30, 2018, 03:14:49 AM
I usually always put thought into the SAK that I carry with my MT ;) It just seems I become stuck with certain SAKs for periods of time every now and again :cheers: I carry my Master Ranger quite often as it pairs well with most any MT (well to me it does :D ) and if a MT has a bit more then I will carry either an Executive or a 58mm SAK with that :salute:

As today I carried an Executive and a Wave :tu: I really do like the size of the Executive and it has a very great toolset and disappear in my pocket whilst still being very handy when needed :tu: I think the Executive pairs very nicely with most of my MTs as well :like:

20180829_110625 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2733 on: August 30, 2018, 12:12:42 PM
Nice one Poncho  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2734 on: August 30, 2018, 12:13:24 PM
My two favourite ones again  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2735 on: August 30, 2018, 01:37:34 PM
Thanks Ws :hatsoff: and great pic :tu: :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2736 on: August 30, 2018, 01:41:14 PM
Thanks Ws :hatsoff: and great pic :tu: :like:
Thanks Poncho  :cheers: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2737 on: August 30, 2018, 05:05:16 PM
firstly, NUTSAK thank you for starting this thread,  :hatsoff: it's a very good one with so much variation of carries, tools and combos that I believe it has no competition on all of the internet for SAK+MT pairings  :cheers:

secondly, I am guilty of posting the pic for the day and leaving it at that... :facepalm:
But it's mostly because my combos change very week, and even in-between the week too,

I love varying and going through all my stuff.

Mostly my criteria is also complementation, to have all the implements available with the two tools I am carrying, so I always have:

- Scissors, preferably a big one for plastics, wrapping and thick stuff, and a small precise one for hygiene, paper cuts and small tasks
- Phillips driver (long) and a variety (two at least) of flatheads  :tu:
-  file, awl, SE blade, PE blade  :gimme:
- Pliers, always better if I have a blunter pair and a more precise, less strong but poitier style too   :salute:

oddly enough bottle opener, can opener, replaceable cutters, saw and hook/corkscrew are very rarely used so if I don't have them on my combo it's oftentimes not an issue at all
If I have redundancy of toolset (most likely) I don't care as long as the basics listed above are included in it  :)

This was the combo I've carried for 4 days in Berlin during my Holiday trip, having in it most of the implements I needed and could have used outside of a work environment

the longer blade of the Mora was ideal for food, on-the-go cooking and the smaller ones for tag cutting, bag opening, and mundane everyday stuff, also the openers came in very handy (used them on both tools!) due to the abundance of beers and alcoholic beverages to try out and experiment with!!  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2738 on: August 30, 2018, 07:22:35 PM
Great job guys.  Obviously discussion of your selections isn't a requirement here, but it does tend to get each of us thinking about combinations that may not have been considered.

Pics, regardless of accompanying discussion or not, are always welcome of course!!  :climber:

Oh, and thanks for the props guys, but I really don't deserve it, especially since I've been absent from the discussion for a couple of years!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:27:57 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2739 on: August 31, 2018, 01:04:16 AM
Nice one, 50ft, and mine are very similar to what they were 10 years ago as well. It's obvious that I'm not the only sick-o that puts so much thought into it.

But where are the pics?  ???

:D

Buried somewhere in this thread :D

I plan on starting another thread in the not too distant future. I've gotten rid of most of the tools I've owned, and was going to do a thread on the ones that survived numerous culls. Not just the what, but the why, and which items they pair well with. When I (eventually) get round to that thread, I'll take a whole new batch of pics.

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #2740 on: August 31, 2018, 01:53:26 AM
 :popcorn:

:like: :like:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2741 on: August 31, 2018, 03:21:12 AM
 :tu:
- Terry

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #2742 on: August 31, 2018, 09:56:39 AM

My EDC Combo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #2743 on: August 31, 2018, 11:07:24 AM
Today’s combo is the same as others... Not a fan of SAK pliers hence why I also carry an MT... Preference is for those that are small and pocket friendly... No problem with redundancy if I can’t avoid it... MT sees more rotation than SAKs...

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2744 on: August 31, 2018, 12:14:49 PM
Last day with my favourite combo
before the Wave challenge  :tu:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2745 on: August 31, 2018, 03:30:39 PM
Today’s combo is the same as others... Not a fan of SAK pliers hence why I also carry an MT... Preference is for those that are small and pocket friendly... No problem with redundancy if I can’t avoid it... MT sees more rotation than SAKs...(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:

I frequently do the same--carry the tools I need in my SAK selection, and supplement that with a lightweight plier multi.  Truth be told, my use of a plier-based multi is very infrequent, but I use a SAK frequently, so this works out well, and I never feel like the SAK pliers are a necessity.  Many times for me that supplemental plier is the LM Mini.
- Terry

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2746 on: August 31, 2018, 03:43:55 PM
My favorite combo

Only Tools Matters

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2747 on: August 31, 2018, 04:03:37 PM
Excellent combo Antti  :like: :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2748 on: August 31, 2018, 04:09:15 PM
 :oops: The photos that I thought were in this thread, aren't. They were in a different thread altogether, which got buggered up when Fartobucket broke all the links (and I pulled most of my pics from the site).  :-\

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2749 on: August 31, 2018, 04:17:16 PM

My EDC Combo:

(Image removed from quote.)

I believe your Rebar is knifeless (custom) correct?  Does the knife blade in the Swiss card suit your needs?
- Terry

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #2750 on: August 31, 2018, 07:02:49 PM

My EDC Combo:

I believe your Rebar is knifeless (custom) correct?  Does the knife blade in the Swiss card suit your needs?

You are correct sir! ...Ze Rebar iZ knifeless....in a "Custom" or more appropriately called "Ghetto and anglegrinderfabulous" way.

As for the SwissCard, it has been hidden deep in my wallet for (I think) two years now, and it has been on planes as well, with no red flags, and it will remain that way too. The little knife in it, does an excellent job at what can be expected of a knife of its size, for me that usually involves letter or package openings. So far the SwissCard has served me extremely well and I have no complaints about it, and the quality  and fit & finish one can expect from Victorinox is all there as well.  :climber:

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2751 on: August 31, 2018, 07:12:02 PM
wow.  I never thought about carrying a Swisscard on a plane...  I'm not sure I could get away with that.
- Terry

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #2752 on: August 31, 2018, 08:45:46 PM
wow.  I never thought about carrying a Swisscard on a plane...  I'm not sure I could get away with that.

I wouldn’t recommend it either :rofl:

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2753 on: August 31, 2018, 08:47:55 PM
I just messaged my wife, because I know she carries a Swisscard (not lite).  She says she's accidentally taken it on several flights as well with no questions asked.
- Terry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2754 on: September 01, 2018, 01:14:46 AM
Wave and Executive today :cheers: Will miss the little red buddy next month as well as the other MTs and SAKs that I rotate through  :ahhh but so is a challenge  :salute: :D

20180831_123631 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

20180831_123732 by Poncho 65, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:42:02 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #2755 on: September 01, 2018, 02:36:51 AM
This has been my summer "it is so smurfin hot I'm gonna wear the least amount of clothing as legally possible" EDC.

Vic Manager with toothpick instead of tweezers and a slightly modified SOG Crossgrip (Leatherman PS4 file instead of SOG file)

So far it has accomplished what it needed to :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2756 on: September 01, 2018, 12:39:48 PM
Nice pics Poncho and theonew  :like: :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2757 on: September 01, 2018, 12:41:21 PM
No combo for me this month
just the Wave for the challenge  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2758 on: September 01, 2018, 01:20:36 PM
This has been my summer "it is so smurfin hot I'm gonna wear the least amount of clothing as legally possible" EDC.

Vic Manager with toothpick instead of tweezers and a slightly modified SOG Crossgrip (Leatherman PS4 file instead of SOG file)

So far it has accomplished what it needed to :tu:

those mods look exquisite,  :like:
and that combo perfect for light "smurfin hot Summer" carry  :D :cheers:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2759 on: September 01, 2018, 09:02:34 PM
I don't believe you have that SAK listed in your sig.  Climber or Super Tinker?
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD