Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Waterproof tech? WTF?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Waterproof tech? WTF?
on: April 24, 2018, 05:49:10 PM
I may be a bit biased as I worked outdoors in a very wet industry for years and I like to spend my time kayaking, which is often improved by a wet environment, but I really do think that our every day tech needs to be waterproof.  After all, I even experienced rain in the desert at one point, while I was at SHOT one year in Las Vegas. Now maybe not everyone is going to encounter rain like I do, but even so, I can't help but think more of the every day tech we use needs to be more waterproof.

For example, Megan's Fitbit isn't waterproof, even though it has a setting to monitor her activity when swimming!  I'm not sure how one goes swimming without getting wet, but if anyone has any insight on that I'd appreciate it.   :facepalm:

Apple has finally made iPhones waterproof, and made (I think) the 2nd generation iWatch waterproof.  Samsung seems to only want to make odd numbered Galaxy phones waterproof, but these things still seem to be specialty items. 

So, who here hasn't gotten caught in the rain at least once in the past few years?  Who hasn't done dishes, washed the dog or gotten in the shower before accidentally realizing you still had your watch on?  Why aren't ALL o these things waterproof in this day and age if we are expected to carry/wear and use them all the time?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Waterproof tech? WTF?
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 06:10:01 PM
We were caught in a torrential downpour some time back. I now carry two ziplock bags for our phones with me. But then again, I also carry 2 disposable ponchos with me as well.

My phone is in a theoretically waterproof otterbox, but I cut the screen cover and port covers off because I deeply loathe that crap. I really just want the case for drop resistance.

I don't wear a watch.

Maybe it's YOU, man. Go back to Atlantis or Innsmouth or wherever you weird hybrid aquatic folk come from! :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 06:39:27 PM
I agree boss. Expecially given how simple and cheap it is to throw some o-rings or gaskets on a product and make it waterproof. This is why I love my G-Shocks. I never have to worry about water while, hand washing, swimming, washing the dog, rain, etc.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:04:25 PM
Not really found any gadget waterproof.

Had a plastic box with gasket and solid latches, described as waterproof.
All pocket items placed inside including wallet.  When I noticed condensation inside the box on one trip, examined to find my paper items in wallet were acting like a sponge did I find a seam for gasket that the water also found. 

I work outside, in most any weather, a couple winters ago problem was not the phone getting wet put, high temperature warning on my IPhone, in a inside pocket, while working in -20F temps. 

Like Lynn, my wife is prepared with ponchos as well. At Kings Island several years ago with the 4 kids we were called the RAINBOW family.  Every one of use had a different color Poncho.  Red, blue, green, yellow, purple and white, all from a dollar store by hotel.

A great day with short lines at many popular rides. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 07:15:48 PM
Theese guys seems to have figured out the swimming without water issue.
:D

https://youtu.be/Eyx4l6ijE7s

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:59:55 PM
It's handy having some level of waterproofness. My G-Shock is, and my ex bought a camera that was waterproof to so many metres not because she intended on it getting wet but 'just in case'.

Perhaps for manufacturers there is an issue of if they say it is waterproof, then that opens them up to claims if it fails (or is said to).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 02:05:32 AM
Yeah, extreme cold is also a big problem. Liquid crystal displays don't do so well in seriously cold temps, but that is a bit rarer than water

Through most of the winter months I would use a Bluetooth headset while my phone was tucked away inside my cold water immersion suit so it wouldn't freeze and crack the glass.

Fun times!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 03:24:14 AM
I keep a waterproof Plano case just big enough for a phone in my bag. Also I have a Mountainsmith rain cover in said bag.

Where I live it rains quite a lot. I'm in a river valley and everything is wet 11 months out of the year. It rains on smurfing Christmas here.

71gW2kVjo3L._SL1500_.jpg
* 71gW2kVjo3L._SL1500_.jpg (Filesize: 63.16 KB)
mountainsmith_rain_cover_1260621_1_og.jpg
* mountainsmith_rain_cover_1260621_1_og.jpg (Filesize: 25.93 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 12:37:11 PM
My point is that we shouldn't have to have waterproof boxes, bags and cases for these things.

I have a waterproof phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo- yeah, I know, ancient tech....  ::)) that that I usually keep in an Otterbox Defender to protect it from drops and things.  A few days ago I was being a smartass and dropped the phone, case and all in the sink while I was doing dishes.  As usual, water got between the waterproof screen of the phone and the screen protector built into the case and rendered the phone useless until the water was removed, so I took the case off to let it dry.  I haven't put it back on since, figuring I would try it without, as every phone I have goes straight into an Otterbox and never comes out.

Several phones ago I had one of the Armor series Otterboxes, which protected the phone like nobody's business, but you couldn't use it as a phone as you couldn't hear anything out of it, and no one could hear you either.

I've come to the conclusion that my tech can either keep up with me or it can get left behind.  I pay enough for this stuff that it has to at least be waterproof or it's worthless.

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 12:44:22 PM
It's handy having some level of waterproofness. My G-Shock is, and my ex bought a camera that was waterproof to so many metres not because she intended on it getting wet but 'just in case'.

Perhaps for manufacturers there is an issue of if they say it is waterproof, then that opens them up to claims if it fails (or is said to).
well there's the IP rating widely used to categorize waterproof level of things. My flashlights, some cases and electronics have it written in the box
 :salute:
It would be as easy as to rate it somewhere in the scale to let clear what it can and cannot tolerate and then avoid all potential reclamations, complaints or liability one would think   :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 04:02:46 PM
All of my edc is now more water resistant than I am. Most of it can be submerged for more than one hour while I might last around 3 minutes...   :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 04:25:31 PM
"Waterproof", "splashproof" and "waterresistant" are different levels of being able to function properly when exposed to different levels of water.

One requires the product to be able to withstand damages that can be caused by water when submerged in a certain depth of water (a pressure of larger than 1 atm is involved here, which means underwater etc). The other one means the product is not damaged by water exposure (if not submerged in water) and can keep water outside. The other one means something different which I am not sure of.

Water proofing means havibng a gasket at all seams and connecting parts and joints, so this makes the product thicker, maybe heavier/bulkier. Not everybody wants that. Lately, some nanotechnological coatings have been manufactured which protects the electronics even if they are exposed to water via a very very thin layer of protective layer on the circuitry. But these are not that widespread yet.

Last but not least, I'm tipsy so apologies for the typos I may have had. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%