Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kickstarter card tool

Offline acidhammer

Kickstarter card tool
on: January 19, 2018, 12:15:13 PM
Came accross the below link scrolling through kickstarter.  I have always liked credit card tools but never found them useful.  I have my doubts about this one aswell but I am interested to see the end product.  So in short I don't think it will work but would love to be proven wrong 😂  also interested to see what everyone else thinks

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1356229508/supra-tag-i-credit-card-multifunctional-plier-full/description

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Kickstarter card tool
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 12:41:54 PM
Right off the bat for me, the handles will be too thin for any comfort on the users part.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 12:58:02 PM
Very interesting :o It will be cool to see whether this thing is practical or not :like: I do like the idea of it being so thin but I also doubt it will be comfortable for the same reason :facepalm: :D

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 12:59:33 PM
Thin handles like that are also prone to folding out of plane if any pressure is applied... if the pivots hold, that is.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline acidhammer

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 01:06:14 PM
Hey chako

Thanks for the reply.  I completely agree.  I also worry the pivote point on the handles would not be strong enough at thay width.  That said I do kove that they are trying something new with that style of tool.  The price for something that light duty is alittle of putting to.  It kind of reminds me of the swiss tech micro max extreme.  You ever see one of those tools you want to like it but just can't. 😐

http://www.swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=80

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 02:24:43 PM
Same problem, too thin and the handles may get out of alignment, like in this one:

http://www.swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=29

Sturdy and pretty good in the drivers part, the pliers not so much...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 02:34:16 PM
Thanks for posting this!  :cheers:
I like the way it looks. I doubt it will make its target, and frankly, I am not fond of the price. The options they offer are weird.
At $299 AUS for one with anodized handles, you do not get the usb stick. To get that too the price goes to $349. Seriously?

I was pumped to see it was in Australia, which would mean i could get fast, but at these prices, and considering how far away the target is, I will not bother.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:45:15 PM
I like the way it looks. I doubt it will make its target, and frankly, I am not fond of the price. The options they offer are weird.
At $299 AUS for one with anodized handles, you do not get the usb stick. To get that too the price goes to $349. Seriously?

I was pumped to see it was in Australia, which would mean i could get fast, but at these prices, and considering how far away the target is, I will not bother.

Also, it's made in China.

:-\

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 03:44:51 PM
I've been following this one for a bit now and I have to say, the price point is way too far off for a light weight, unknown, last ditch type tool.  Honestly I can think of a lot of other tools I would rather have for the same money or less, and I don't see any reason why this one is worth getting.

I'm not saying it isn't without some merit, I was certainly curious about it, but more at a $25 price point rather than $89 where it is still missing pieces.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 04:44:36 PM
I do like the conceptual idea. That credit cards form factors are not the most ergonomic, but the always with you is the compensation for that.

Function wise I'm kind of worried about the thin wall on one side of the wrenches, and the cutter functionality for such a narrow plier. Is there a video showing it in action somewhere?

I don't understand what they mean with solid piece design? Surely that has lots of pieces? Maybe my English is off? "Super light weight" and "Built super tough" are typically opposing design choices though.

Still, fun piece, and if it wasn't for the price I might have signed up.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:45:57 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 05:53:53 PM
I do like the conceptual idea. That credit cards form factors are not the most ergonomic, but the always with you is the compensation for that.

Function wise I'm kind of worried about the thin wall on one side of the wrenches, and the cutter functionality for such a narrow plier. Is there a video showing it in action somewhere?

I don't understand what they mean with solid piece design? Surely that has lots of pieces? Maybe my English is off? "Super light weight" and "Built super tough" are typically opposing design choices though.

Still, fun piece, and if it wasn't for the price I might have signed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4E0UBtlclE

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 07:09:11 PM
If that was there all along then I'm getting worried about my general perception and attentiveness...

Still, the video didn't show any cutting or actual use of those wrench cutouts. Thus I'm not much wiser from that - the wire stripper does seem to work well so a bit wiser.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:15:51 PM
If that was there all along then I'm getting worried about my general perception and attentiveness...

Still, the video didn't show any cutting or actual use of those wrench cutouts. Thus I'm not much wiser from that - the wire stripper does seem to work well so a bit wiser.

General Perception!

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 10:39:30 AM
Says airplane friendly, maybe so, but not airport security friendly with that little tanto blade.

Maybe meaning it's so ineffective it won't do any appreciable damage to an airplane?  :think:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:42:24 AM by twiliter »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 11:02:48 AM
Says airplane friendly, maybe so, but not airport security friendly with that little tanto blade.

Maybe meaning it's so ineffective it won't do any appreciable damage to an airplane?  :think:

It mentions needing disassembly before boarding the plane, but still, some countries forbid pliers on board anyway. I remember a forum member posting that his pocketwrench got confiscated. No way I'm taking any chances with anything.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:12:14 PM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline twiliter

Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 11:29:10 AM

It mentions needing disassembly before boarding the plane, but still, some countries forbid pliers on board anyway. A remember a forum member posting that his pocketwrench got confiscated. No way I'm taking any chances with anything.

So a Wave is probably TSA friendly too!  :woohoo:

(after disassembly and leaving most of the useful parts behind)

us Offline twiliter

Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 11:43:46 AM
Misleading advertising is insulting, and I won't invest real money in BS. YMMV  :salute:

fi Offline Gath

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 12:32:07 AM

I'm pretty sure that if you'd pay $200 price difference for delivery of a SwissChamp for example you could probably get one pretty fast wherever you are.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%