Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No more survivorman

jzmtl · 12 · 2584

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
No more survivorman
on: November 08, 2008, 01:44:05 AM
Yep, no more, Les wants out.

Survivorman wants out alive from TV series

Survivorman is calling it quits.

Les Stroud, the Canadian host of TV series Survivorman, says he's no longer keen to spend a week alone in difficult terrain without food, water or equipment.

"It takes a lot out of me, as I really do what I do for real, with no camera crew, no nights in hotels like others do, and it takes a toll on my body," said Stroud, 47.

Stroud is filming an adventure in Papua New Guinea that will be the final season for Survivorman.

But he expects to continue his association with the Science Channel, perhaps with a series on famous explorers.

"You can only do seven days surviving without food a certain number of times a year. I'm pleased with what I have done, I've been copied around the world, but 25 times I've not eaten anything for a week while sleeping on rocks. I need to move on," he said.

Stroud was an instructor for 20 years in wilderness survival skills, white water paddling, sea kayaking, hiking and dog sledding.

In 2000, he took a few small cameras into the wilderness of northern Ontario to spend a week alone without water, food, or equipment. His rescue crew, which stayed five to 50 km away, was instructed to come after him only if he didn't make his rendezvous a week later.

This became a template for Survivorman, which has seen him brave the wilderness in Africa, South and North America and Asia.

"I have not had to be rescued yet, but there was one situation in Labrador where we had bad weather and we all had to be shipped out to safety," said Stroud.

"I did get chased out of the jungle by a jaguar once, and I had one situation in the Kalahari Desert where it came close to calling in my rescue crew, as I got close to having heat stroke. It was 61 degrees Celsius," he said.

"But probably my most scared was being in lion territory in Africa. That was a scary place to be."

Stroud, who has a background as a producer of music videos, has released a book called Survive! Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere — Alive!

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2008/11/07/survivorman-tv.html

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: No more survivorman
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 01:51:38 AM
well thats sad,i think,but in that age and with survival trips he has taken,i totally understand and even more,respect him.he´s one of my idols.

maybe someday someone else will replace him.

:salute:

us Offline Splat

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:10:59 AM
Oh man, that sucks.   :(  I fully respect and understand why he wants out. The guy's the real deal and has, no doubt, helped many with his shows. I'm going to miss the Survivorman series, but thank God for reruns.(no, not this guy! :D )
Splat

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 03:01:54 AM
It's sad to hear he's done with the show but he's right.  Filming SurvivorMan wasn't always safe and healthy for him and I'm sure he's tired of it.

I saw a TV special where he was building a new eco-friendly house somewhere in Ontario so I'm sure he'll want to finally settle down in his house with his family and not worry about doing another show in lion-infested territories.

THANK YOU LES.  Thanks for teaching us so much.  There will always be only one Survivorman.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 03:14:38 AM
I cannot blame Les for this decision.  FYI, I'm 2 years younger than he is.  And with some of the episodes I've watched, it looked like he was starting to push his luck, especially when I saw the Kalahari episode.  If it was me, I would have said:"***k the TV show!  I'm calling for help!!" :think:

And let's not forget the foot fungus he got in the Amazon.  As someone who had a foot infection(which was almost lethal), any thing that debilitates the foot, you're in a world of trouble.  And THAT could have made Les perfect for target practice, if the jaguar was a bit more motivated. :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 03:22:14 AM
^ don't forget the episode where he discovered fresh polar bear tracks a few meters from his camp.   :o
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 03:22:54 AM
I'll miss it but I can understand. Hopefully, he will be back with a different style of show. Perhaps a purely instructional show?
[

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 04:53:58 AM
^ don't forget the episode where he discovered fresh polar bear tracks a few meters from his camp.   :o

That too :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 05:26:19 AM
It is sad but I don't blame him either  :) I think he has done a very good job with what he has done :tu: and I guess we will get to see this last season anyway :D  Hope he does something else on another show I real like to watch his shows :) I mean who else can make starving half to death and being in all these dangerous places seem sort of comical ::) :D

I salute you Les :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 03:25:06 PM
He's 47!, I thought he was only in his late 30's :o I guess living in the bush really is good for you :)

It's a shame he's knocking it on the head, but I can understand why :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 12:20:57 AM
Yeah his age shocked me 2 :o

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:12:53 AM
Les is hardcore, that is certain.

Survivorman might be over, but I'm sure we will still be seeing him around.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%