Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Canton Knives

Offline marduk

Canton Knives
on: January 21, 2018, 04:05:28 PM
Finally, after 20 years Vic finally completed its Canton Knife Series. It started w/Schwyz in 1998 and just ended w/Jura, for a total of 26, one for each of the Cantons. In my humble opinion, these are the most beautiful Vic knives ever produced.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Canton Knives
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 04:11:54 PM
 :worthless:

Show us the goods!  :-)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:15:02 PM
I've a Huntsman w/Bern inlay and an alox secretary w/Geneva illustration.

It would be awesome to have one w/ Schwyz .... or awl 26  :D

:cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 05:20:11 PM
If those are the ones with the rosewood scales i would have to agree, beautiful, i just wish i knew about them 20 years ago and started collecting them then, too late now as my wallet is a bit thin to handle the entire collection, maybe get one someday though  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:27:39 PM
I managed to pick up a few of the Canton knives ( and several other very nice items) some years ago from a collector who had lived in Switzerland at one time, but was getting out of the hobby.

IMG_2624.jpg
* IMG_2624.jpg (Filesize: 126.24 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:07:54 AM
I managed to pick up a few of the Canton knives ( and several other very nice items) some years ago from a collector who had lived in Switzerland at one time, but was getting out of the hobby.

Wow, those are nice!  :like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:08:53 AM
I've got these two, a Secretary and Huntsman...  I think they're referring more to the cities than the Cantons though.
bern geneva.jpg
* bern geneva.jpg (Filesize: 134.46 KB)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:38:42 AM
:worthless:
Show us the goods!  :-)

Wki link: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Series+and+Special+Editions&highlight=kantonsmesser
And looks like it's maintained by our very own Marduk !!

They are amazing - Looks like the blades have patterns (laser etchings ???) that go right through the blade!!
And the handles are beautiful - As you say !!

Are the wooden inlays specific to a Kanton ? - Or are they just pretty marquetry

PS. So they left the Wenger canton till last - That's a bit mean  :twak:   Or does it 'complete the circle'  ???   :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:42:09 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:19:34 AM
Thanks Huntsman!  :salute: :cheers:

Offline marduk

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 02:14:30 PM
I will try to answer some of the questions asked:
1. The knives were produced in the order each canton joined the Swiss Federation. Schwyz (1.1998.SZ) was the first produced since it was the canton that started the Swiss Federation. Jura (1.1998.JU) was the last to join. It split from the canton of Bern (1.1998.BE) sometime in the 1970's.
2. The laser etching cut through the blades starting w/Schaffhausen (1.1998.SH) in 2006.
3. The marquetry on the scales of each knife copies some aspect of the coat of arms of the canton.
4. The scales & boxes are rosewood.
5. The letters SZ, JU, BE, & SH that make up the suffix of the Vic number are letters that are used on car's license plates for those cantons.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 07:11:01 PM
Good info, thanks. Will the latest one be available on the Vic website? i cant recall ever seeing them for sale anywhere and i'm starting to think i really want one..
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 10:27:53 PM
I will try to answer some of the questions asked:
1. The knives were produced in the order each canton joined the Swiss Federation. Schwyz (1.1998.SZ) was the first produced since it was the canton that started the Swiss Federation. Jura (1.1998.JU) was the last to join. It split from the canton of Bern (1.1998.BE) sometime in the 1970's.
2. The laser etching cut through the blades starting w/Schaffhausen (1.1998.SH) in 2006.
3. The marquetry on the scales of each knife copies some aspect of the coat of arms of the canton.
4. The scales & boxes are rosewood.
5. The letters SZ, JU, BE, & SH that make up the suffix of the Vic number are letters that are used on car's license plates for those cantons.

Thanks for the info.   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD