Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Shot Show 2018 Blade HQ & Leatherman

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Shot Show 2018 Blade HQ & Leatherman
Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 08:43:06 AM
I don't know. The Tread has never been my cup of tea, and the Tempo is awfully high priced. I suppose, if the watch itself is quality and has a 25 year guarantee, maybe it's worth it?

I'm a huge PST fan and have lobbied its return to market, but this more than 3 times a reasonable price for a daily carry.

Mainly, we can't ask Leatherman to "go back to basics" and then be critical of the "lack of innovation" at Shot 2018. It was 3 years between the PST and the Mini, wasn't it? Then it was something like 8 more years before the SuperTool came along, and two more before the PSTII and Micra...every year can't be a banner year.

Besides, how can we criticize Leatherman for responding to customer feedback and placing new plyer heads on the Wave, making the Tempo, and dropping Velcro in favor of snaps on the nylon sheath? Slow and steady May not be flashy, but wins the race.

I hope they bring the PST back in a real run and reduce the price to about $70. I do like the new snap nylon sheaths, and maybe they will sell the PST leather sheath separately.

Nope 2 years on the watch, 25 years on the tread
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #31 on: January 25, 2018, 02:02:01 PM
I don't know. The Tread has never been my cup of tea, and the Tempo is awfully high priced. I suppose, if the watch itself is quality and has a 25 year guarantee, maybe it's worth it?

I'm a huge PST fan and have lobbied its return to market, but this more than 3 times a reasonable price for a daily carry.

Mainly, we can't ask Leatherman to "go back to basics" and then be critical of the "lack of innovation" at Shot 2018. It was 3 years between the PST and the Mini, wasn't it? Then it was something like 8 more years before the SuperTool came along, and two more before the PSTII and Micra...every year can't be a banner year.

Besides, how can we criticize Leatherman for responding to customer feedback and placing new plyer heads on the Wave, making the Tempo, and dropping Velcro in favor of snaps on the nylon sheath? Slow and steady May not be flashy, but wins the race.

I hope they bring the PST back in a real run and reduce the price to about $70. I do like the new snap nylon sheaths, and maybe they will sell the PST leather sheath separately.

PST only worth for $50 .. i got so many leatherman and parts dont need buy another one .. I can mods whatever i want ..  that watches not worth 500 dollars  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:52:36 PM by Obi1shinobee »

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #32 on: January 25, 2018, 03:05:34 PM

Changing the size is innovation? Because the Supertool, the Core, te 300 is a PST with locks and steroids...

$70 for a PST when I can get a Rebar for about $60... does not make too much sense to me

Anyway I'm a fan of Leatherman and love their black oxide tools, but note their prices, meanwhile I will enjoy my Rebar...
Enjoy!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 03:52:29 PM

Changing the size is innovation? Because the Supertool, the Core, te 300 is a PST with locks and steroids...

$70 for a PST when I can get a Rebar for about $60... does not make too much sense to me

Anyway I'm a fan of Leatherman and love their black oxide tools, but note their prices, meanwhile I will enjoy my Rebar...

Going rate for a new PST with the leather boxy sheath is about $70-$75. I think $75 was the original MSRP  ???

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 04:41:17 PM
That PST seems priced right. You can't compare it to the original PST or a regular WAVE. This is a collectors item similar to the other "anniversary tools" they made, its about the box and the certificate. Also, its in the same price class as the Victorinox Damast Limited Editions, except those run at 5000 units. So, let the collectors have this...

And before we criticize the Plus pliers... lets test them.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline gregpost

Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 07:58:14 PM
Pretty interesting video.

Leatherman has sold around 10 million Wave units in the entire 20 year history of the model. That's a hit product for them, their most successful. Casio has sold 100 million units for all models of G-shock since their introduction in 1983. For comparison Apple sold 46.8 million iPhones in Q4 of 2017 and about 1.2 billion since it's release in 2007.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 08:04:24 PM
it is because casios and LMs  do not break
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 08:21:08 PM
I like the look of the new slimmed down pliers. I'm sure they thoroughly tested them before going forward with production. It would be foolish if they didn't considering the warranty.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 08:35:05 PM
I like the look of the new slimmed down pliers. I'm sure they thoroughly tested them before going forward with production. It would be foolish if they didn't considering the warranty.

I very much doubt they've tested them at all, after all there has been plenty of criticism of the way the replaceable cutters limit the gripping area of the pliers.

Common sense and basic mechanical knowledge says (or indicates) you cant take half the material away and expect it to be of equal strength. The surge, st300 and rebar have the added shoulders to make up for the loss of metal.   
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline gregpost

Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 08:36:30 PM
It certainly looks weird from the photos. But who knows? The pliers on the Supertool 300, Surge, and Rebar are very tough. I have all three and have cut things with them I probably shouldn't have and they're fine.

I'm not sure these really interest me, I think I would go for the Charge, if anything. I like that they ditched the cap crimper and used the rescue hook.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:41:47 PM by gregpost »

us Offline gregpost

Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 08:49:55 PM
Also did this video allude to more "heritage models" but not actually show them?

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 09:10:09 PM
[/quote

:tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 09:46:06 PM

I very much doubt they've tested them at all, after all there has been plenty of criticism of the way the replaceable cutters limit the gripping area of the pliers.

Common sense and basic mechanical knowledge says (or indicates) you cant take half the material away and expect it to be of equal strength. The surge, st300 and rebar have the added shoulders to make up for the loss of metal.

I'm not saying they are of equal strength but they are probably strong enough. What makes you doubt that they have tested them ? I don't anything gets put into production with zero testing. I'm sorry but that just doesn't make any sense at all.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 11:24:17 PM
So if someone goes ahead, uses that fancy PST, breaks it, and sends in for warranty claim, will he get a "collector's" Rebar in exchange?  >:D

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 12:58:02 AM
So if someone goes ahead, uses that fancy PST, breaks it, and sends in for warranty claim, will he get a "collector's" Rebar in exchange?  >:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 05:52:40 AM
I'm pretty excited about the snap sheath.  I've never liked LM nylon sheaths.    :tu: :tu:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:54:06 AM by clown »

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 06:32:44 AM
I'm pretty excited about the snap sheath.  I've never liked LM nylon sheaths.    :tu: :tu:

It looks cool but unfortunately it doesn't have side pockets and can not be carry horizontally... >:( grrrr.....
They should make same style but will everything mentioned above.
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

za Offline EZrider

Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 06:40:45 AM

It looks cool but unfortunately it doesn't have side pockets and can not be carry horizontally... >:( grrrr.....
They should make same style but will everything mentioned above.

The video shows a four pocket version with side pockets. I’m thinking of one for my wave when my skinth wears out (probably never!)

gb Offline Beynon5

Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 07:46:10 AM
Anyone see the video LM posted on their Instagram story today?

Said the guys at Leatherman customise their tools all the time at the factory and are looking for a way to bring that customisation to the consumer!

Please let it be so.. could finally get the chance to have the perfect tool without worrying about screwing the warranty!  :drool:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 08:48:44 AM

Said the guys at Leatherman customise their tools all the time at the factory and are looking for a way to bring that customisation to the consumer!

Please let it be so.. could finally get the chance to have the perfect tool without worrying about screwing the warranty!  :drool:

:drool: :drool: :drool:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 12:26:47 PM

:drool: :drool: :drool:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Let see they customisation that  :rofl:
ReBlaster XXXX.jpg
* ReBlaster XXXX.jpg (Filesize: 199.35 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 10:13:05 AM
They could re-introduce the Universal Tool Adapter. Not signed or limited, just bring it back. Maybe have the shank be longer.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #52 on: January 28, 2018, 11:05:02 PM
Of all the innovations Leatherman made they are now just gutting around to adding replaceable wire cutters to the Wave?  :ahhh Okay, so why did they not also include a full array of the Charge series with those pliers then?

Was at Sportsman's Warehouse when I spotted a PST! Thought, Wow, about time the put these back ... $255!! WTF!! I bet the used PST prices on Ebay shot up a digit cause of this. :rofl:
Saw the newer Wave and was trying to compare it to the Rebar pliers and did not look like much had changed, but one was closed pliers and the Rebar was open in packaging, and only was carrying the Flair on me. Flair needs a file BTW. Wonder if we should ask Leatherman to bring back a limited edition Flair?  :whistle:

Was finally able to see the Signal, and it's a dinky thing for $99. The MUT really outclasses it by far. Was tempted to ask if I could look it over, but remembered its gimpiness and walked on by ... was when I spotted the newer Wave and several colors of Skeletools that were at a decent price.

Thanks for the video. Was hoping for some newer innovative tool to come out other than skinnier Treads and updated pliers. Still have two older PST that do a heck of a lot better than one $200 more that has a fancy wooden box, and the Smurfin' Flair that I've been carrying every day since purchase. Works great at work, save for not having a file. Have a Wave in the glove compartment.

The sheaths though, I might upgrade to the newer snap, as the leather Charge badged version is getting sloppy on the elastic pockets where I carry a Serac S2, Bit Extender, and a MTO Charge Saw. Wished Leatherman would of paid JSews for his renovation and started making some for sale.

Any of the other companies getting ahead on their tool line since Leatherman is taking the back seat on multitool evolution?

PS: I have Rebar pliers in my Charge TTi v1.0 with an awl too.  :D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:10:36 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #53 on: January 28, 2018, 11:15:50 PM
They could re-introduce the Universal Tool Adapter. Not signed or limited, just bring it back. Maybe have the shank be longer.

Needs a ratcheting mechanism. I have a UTA laying here that serves no purpose. Used it with a Juice KF4, and without most all the other multitools.

Hmm... maybe a Limited Edition KF4 with a can opener?  :cheers:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #54 on: January 28, 2018, 11:19:02 PM

I distinctly remember Leatherman stating they NEVER customize a tool for anybody - on their Facebook page. 2 weeks Leatherman posted photos/video of Dave Cantebury getting a customized tool made right their in their factory. - So, there ARE exceptions eh Leatherman?  :twak:
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 29, 2018, 05:05:57 AM
Another connection to Leatherman history for the Collector's Edition PST.

It costs the same as the Fiat that Tim bought to drive around Europe    :D    ;) 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #56 on: January 29, 2018, 05:54:19 AM

Needs a ratcheting mechanism. I have a UTA laying here that serves no purpose. Used it with a Juice KF4, and without most all the other multitools.

KF4 with blade, scissors, saw, file.  :tu: Basically a CS4, with the corkscrew replaced by the file. That would be nice. Better yet, have it with torx screws.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:41 AM

KF4 with blade, scissors, saw, file.  :tu: Basically a CS4, with the corkscrew replaced by the file. That would be nice. Better yet, have it with torx screws.
Never got the appeal of the UTA. Why not just get a bit holder (e.g. the one from Vic with or without ratchet). The UTA is bulky in itself, but mostly its the bits and while the MT adds a big handle it also prevents using the pliers and the bit-holder at the same time.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 30, 2018, 11:37:09 AM
Another connection to Leatherman history for the Collector's Edition PST.

It costs the same as the Fiat that Tim bought to drive around Europe    :D    ;)

hahahaha
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%