Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Tread Mods

CRX · 35 · 6645

us Offline darrylf

Re: Leatherman Tread Mods
Reply #30 on: August 17, 2022, 01:05:03 AM
Just discovered this post. I’ve been messing with some Treads lately, and I especially appreciate some of the simplest ideas here, which I had not thought of—the magnets & leather patch on the clasp. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline darrylf

Reply #31 on: August 17, 2022, 01:56:17 AM

Immediate update: without doing any modding at all, I discovered that I have a super strong tiny bar-shaped magnet on hand that fits perfectly into the slot on the clasp link. Now I can always have a magnet with me, plus it will provide a little help to keep the clasp closed. Thanks again for the idea!

Offline Trebor Redins

Reply #32 on: September 01, 2022, 05:59:48 AM
Had this posted on the leatherman tread owners club, but (no offense) those guys just seem to like polishing their man jewelry. (I swear there is not a mar mark to be found on any of the posts, I'm wondering if those guys forgot they have screw drivers and wrenches that they can actually use)

When I was drilling/dremeling out a couple of my tread links to be able to hold two more of the leatherman bits and making attachments for my new watch, I found a two small mods that I haven't seen shared and some might find useful I figured I'd share.

1. The tread clasp is pinned with a hollow rollpin. The inner dimensions of the pin will allow for a 1/16 eyeglass screw driver. At the dollar tree, I bought a small screw driver set, and cut the end of the 1/16 phillips off. From, there, it's pretty easy to file/dremel the other end to a small flathead and then you can store it in the clasp. I cut small pieces from an o-ring and punches a hole through both, putting them around the end of the driver to hold it in place. While you can't get to much purchase on it, the little screws usually don't have to be torqued down to hard, and I've been able to tight my eye glasses with just the pin tool. You can also use a little super glue to fix it in the watch, and then use the whole thing as a driver, just make sure the glue doesn't get down to the inner part of the clasp. Another note, the pin itself is 3/32, so you can replace the whole pin with the largest phillips from the same dollar tree kit (again grinding a flat head into the other end) but this driver was too large for my eyeglasses, and too small to be useful for me for other purposes.

2. The tread is hard to get a precise fit. There is not a good way to tighten or loosen the band in small increments. With my new watch, I needed to shrink the band size ~5 mm to make it a better fit for me. I was going to buy some steel and see about cutting new clutches (little things that screw into the links and hold two together) like I've seen on this thread, but an easier solution presented itself. I had noticed that an old bicycle chain I had has links that are just under 1 mm smaller than the standard links on a tread. The holes they already have in them work well with the screws, so you can just pull them apart with a chain breaker and install them. (Bike shops will give you old chain as they just send it to the recycler). They are a bit wider (longer on the non-attachment end?) than the leatherman clutche, and if you store bits in the links, the chain will make it so you cannot pull them out as they overlap the edge until rotated at an angle that can't occur when in use.(This can be a good thing as it can prevent you from losing them). You can address this by filing/dremeling them down as I did. I left the overlap on the end so that they prevent the bits from falling out when the watch is worn, but when you take off the watch you can fold it so the bits can be taken out. *If you replace the the clutches that hold the clasp, you will need to file down the edges as the overlap will prevent the clasp from closing otherwise.

I still use small O-rings to secure the 5 bits that I carry, but that's just to make them more secure and tamper down any rattling that might happen due to them moving around.

Offline vadsoom

Reply #33 on: September 02, 2022, 10:39:23 PM
Wow! Outstanding mods!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: September 02, 2022, 10:48:55 PM
 :hatsoff:

Very well done. 
Esse Quam Videri