Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Special editions" ? (Are we idiots or ??)

dks · 42 · 4543

de Offline trailmaster

Re: "Special editions" ? (Are we idiots or ??)
Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 08:29:29 PM
for me the 2012 damascus hasn't really been to my liking. too plain and just a normal 111mm with another blade. I cannot justify paying 240Euros for it. The one that I own and really like was the damascus pioneer. if i had the money, I would have bought a heritage model too. It is nice to have some limited editions but when they come up all the time with a constant pattern, it becomes tiring. And there are many more interesting older saks which are also more authentic than something that will probably never get out of the box for most people.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 08:47:54 PM
Nearly bought a Mike Horn Wenger yesterday for 125 Euro, then remembered that I had no use for it and would get bored with it and regret it in a few hours... Bought the souvenir version instead...  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 01:02:44 PM
Bump, in the recent PST LE climate-

i am so insightful sometimes.. 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 01:12:33 PM
I think collecting for the sake of collecting is fine. The market will pay what it will pay. Collecting for the sake of investment? Bit iffy. You would probably have to wait a whole long time and invest quite a bit to make it worthwhile. No one asks what there money could have been doing elsewhere during those 40-60 years....
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 01:44:01 PM
Bump, in the recent PST LE climate-

i am so insightful sometimes..

You are insightful, D.  :like:

Buyer's remorse is a terrible feeling, and then seller's remorse only aggravates it.  :facepalm:

I would be ok with only a few multitools, but they would have to be super rare, limited, unobtainium alloy, handmade masterpieces.  :P

Aren't hobbys supposed to be fun?  :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 02:59:25 PM
I'm not really into/after Special Editions of anything. I only buy what I think I need/want and in the case it's just a "want" I always try to wait and find a good deal, buy used or acquire in a trade

I'm just not comfortable spending more money on hobbies anymore.  :P
But during all these years I've acquired a few "limited editions" but only because they appealed, interested or called to me independently of their status or limited availability.   :climber:
For instance, I bought the Schrade ST6 and 5wr vise Grips, as well as the Kershaw A100 and Crunch, not because they are really sought after and hard to find nowadays, but because I wanted to try out all the VIse Grip Multitools available and set on my favorite iteration of it (Which was the Kershaw A100).
Now I wouldn't buy a Schade 6LC even for cheap because I know my ideal V.Grip MT is the A100.  :gimme: :gimme:

Same happened with my knives:
I acquired a Cold Steel DLC Coated Ti-Lite (Limited Edition), a Thompson Voyager (LE) and a Rawles Voyager (LE) because I didn't have any DLC Cold Steel, any Tanto Voyager and any XHP serrated knife, respectively.
Now I don't track down any knives because of those specific features   :ahhh

All other limited or exclusive stuff (signed by Tim Leatherman, Engraved at the Buck Custom shop with my initials, serialed or discontinued knives etc.) was never bought or acquired with the intention to put them on a afe, make them grow in value or sell later as a profit, and most of them were gifted to me or obtained for free.  :D

So, all in all, I'm mostly a collector by accident and user by tastes, mentality and interests   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 06:03:43 PM
I have no idea about prices and I simply don't care. If I see something I like, there is only one question I ask: "Is it worth that much to me?". I believe that is all it takes, I don't see it as investment, it buy purely to satisfy my own desires.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 08:51:20 PM
I try not to be a collector, as collecting is a very expensive activity.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 09:19:03 PM
I try collecting money, which are always limited and numbered it seems, but there are just too many multi-tools around...  :ahhh

I don't really think in terms of investing at all. For me the value is more in seeing new designs and owning some of them. Most never really gets used more than a few days at best. I tend to fall back to a certain few favorites for everyday use.

A tool might be special to me in some sense, but not simply because the manufacturer names it so. (I wont hold it against it either).

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:20:21 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #39 on: February 02, 2018, 01:32:42 AM
"Special Editions"

These two words should cause more fear and anxiety in a grown man than any others.

I blame George.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 02, 2018, 08:15:10 AM
Yes.

I would say if a special edition comes with increased capabilities and a reduced price......yes.   :whistle:

For the same reason none of my 1st edition comics will ever be worth anything, we're not likely to see unicorns coming out of factories every again.....

E.g.......Youtubers calling out CRK for not producing anything new.  I find it sort of sickening, but the truth is CRK has now been matched by several makers. 

When I became knife-conscious again 2-3 years ago, the Sebenza was an investment.......how much longer?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 02:05:08 PM
in line with my "not buying Special Editions" but still owning quite a few of them,
it seems like Nix was somehow aware of that trend (again   ???)

and took his own steps to give me this

and also in my line of thinking, this will be carried and used to have memories and stories of it that will make it even more limited, special and unique

my most special and exclusive SAK will also be my most cherished no doubt.
Thanks, friend!!  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%