Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hive system

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Hive system
on: February 10, 2018, 07:15:03 PM
Anyone got a Hive heating control system?

I get mine installed on the 20th with my  new boiler and wondered what you thought of yours.  Reviews seem great for the sockets and light bulbs too.

I've got a couple of the light bulbs ready for when my system is in.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Hive system
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 07:18:10 PM
so, you want to find the buzz about the hive ?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 07:23:01 PM
so, you want to find the buzz about the hive ?

I want to see if it's the bees knees like they say it is  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 07:27:06 PM
I hope the honey-moon period with the hive lasts for ever
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:35:42 PM
I've got it, it's great in some respects but woeful in others.

If you use it conjunction with Amazon Echo then everyone can use it, if you only have the app on your phone then others will turn your lights off and then you have to turn them on again so you can you control them.

The control over heating and cooling is brilliant (I've got an ac unit attached for summer because my place gets hotter than hell even in the UK).

The app can be very flaky and server issues on their side will stop you controlling things or timed events from happening. The apps on the phones also aren't the best and can be complete smurf. Internet connection goes down, you cant do smurf.

Bottom line, with Echo when everything is working it's great, otherwise not so much
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:56:57 PM
I've often thought about adding a Nest system to my building in Halifax.  It would not only be a nice feature for the tenants but would also benefit me greatly by being able to keep a better eye on when they decide to crank up the heat for no reason.  I have, on a number of occasions found tenants (not mine thankfully) complaining of the cold because they like to leave the windows open in February because they "like the fresh air."

Now that I live so far away, I would very much like to be able to check in on who is doing what in my house.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 11:14:48 PM
I've often thought about adding a Nest system to my building in Halifax.  It would not only be a nice feature for the tenants but would also benefit me greatly by being able to keep a better eye on when they decide to crank up the heat for no reason.  I have, on a number of occasions found tenants (not mine thankfully) complaining of the cold because they like to leave the windows open in February because they "like the fresh air."

Now that I live so far away, I would very much like to be able to check in on who is doing what in my house.

Def

So you would be combining the Nest heating with the cameras, cranking up the heat and watching them get nekkid?  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 03:32:53 AM
None of my current crop of tenants are the type that you would want to see naked.  Or at least, not the type I would want to see naked- I don't presume to know (or judge!) whatever types of things may float yours (or anyone else's!) boat.

Although some exterior cameras would be nice- I have one tenant that I am really paranoid about since I believe he is under the impression that he owns the house and can do whatever he wants in it.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 09:39:26 PM
I've got it, it's great in some respects but woeful in others.

If you use it conjunction with Amazon Echo then everyone can use it, if you only have the app on your phone then others will turn your lights off and then you have to turn them on again so you can you control them.

The control over heating and cooling is brilliant (I've got an ac unit attached for summer because my place gets hotter than hell even in the UK).

The app can be very flaky and server issues on their side will stop you controlling things or timed events from happening. The apps on the phones also aren't the best and can be complete smurf. Internet connection goes down, you cant do smurf.

Bottom line, with Echo when everything is working it's great, otherwise not so much

Thank you   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD