Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose!

Offline superdon

Help me choose!
on: November 10, 2008, 08:22:15 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a multitool for use as a police officer. I plan to have the tool on my belt, so with all the other kit, I dont want something too big.

I was looking at the Leatherman Wave and really liked the look of that, but have now been reading about the Swisstool Spirit.

I have no particular requirements, just that its for general use, should be quite light and small-ish.

Am I looking at models that are too big?

Any other recommendations?

Cheers all.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Help me choose!
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 08:24:19 PM
Welcome!  :cheers:  I would go with a Swisstool spirit based on what you posted. The Leatherman wave is fantastic, but a tad too big for belt carry, IMO.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:30:06 PM
The Spirit and Wave are pretty close size-wise so you should be ok with that.  Your best bet is to maybe check out the reviews of the Spirit and Wave on the main site, as well as some reviews of other tools to see if you can find something you like.  We are of course happy to answer any questions here, but I'm pretty sure if you are asking whether to get the Wave or the Spirit, you'll probably get two very insistent camps trying to pull you to their side!  :D

Welcome to the forum!  Always nice to see the thin blue line get a little thicker around here!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline superdon

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:46:40 PM
Thanks for the replies.

To be honest, out of the Wave and Spirit I am swaying toward the spirit.

I am really just worried they are both slightly too big? Is there anything smaller, but still as effective I should be looking at? It seems to me, it goes from tiny keychain type things, up the the Wave/Spirit, with little in between.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:50:25 PM
I wouldn't worry about size of either of these.  They are standard sized tools, and both come with pretty compact sheaths- especially the Spirit.  You aren't likely to find a solid tool any smaller than either of those.  Sure, there's the Juice series, but I don't think they are as well equipped to deal with problems the way the Spirit and/or Wave can.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:21:09 PM
SOG Pocket Power Plier. SOG ROCKS!!!
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:54:22 PM
I'm wondering if the Blast, Kick or Fuse might be what you are after.  Without knowing what tools are a "must have" for you it's hard to say.  Even the Blast is quite a bit lighter than the Wave though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:00:34 PM
I'd recommend the Spirit everytime, as it's by far the best medium size MT out there in my opinion :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 10:07:15 PM
yeah, the spirit is a high quality high capable tool, very compact and light(you can even forget youre wearing it), it never fail me and i bet it will never fail you too

regards :salute:
A

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 10:09:48 PM
The Wave or the Spirit are both excellent choices!  I personally would opt for the Spirit unless you have a requirement or one-handed blade operation.  The reason I would choose it is simply because the Spirit offers more tools.
- Terry

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 10:10:32 PM
Once again, I'm disappointed...

No one has posted the MT.O motto.

"When in doubt, buy both!"
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 10:55:07 PM
I would go with the Spirit as well, unless the Wave's OHO blades are extremely important to you.

I just find the Wave's bit drivers, scissors, etc. really clumsy to get at in comparison. I think the Spirit offers easy access to a wider variety of tools.

I am sure other people will say that they feel the exact opposite way though...  ;)
[

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 11:15:02 PM
Hi from a fellow brother in blue.  I would suggest you through a large multi in your squad bag and carry a primary folding knife and a smaller Juice type multi in your pocket, I currently carry a Juice KF4 and a folder.  Another option is to carry the LM Skeletool, again keeping a larger one in your squad.  Just my thoughts.  Stay-safe.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 11:18:08 PM
Welcome to the forum superdon :salute:

They both are really great MTs, like the boss said, Medium size MTs,
not too big, not too small.

If you could go to a store that has them both, so you could get a feel
for each and it's specifics that would make your choice so much easier.

Like stated, if you want a one hand blade tool, the Wave is the one,
if you want more tools and a very smooth design that lasts, the Spirit.

Just my opinion, and if you can't decide, like 665ae said, get both!
always nice to have back-up ;)

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:58 PM
Just like expected, fans of the spirit and fans of the wave here. So here is one from the leahterman camp. I'd go for the wave, not because I am a big leatherman addept, but one hand opening could become very handy if your other hand is busy (holding something or whatever). The previous mentioned skeletool is a great suggestion as well, OHO and locking knife. I have one for a few weeks now and it is realy not that smaller as a wave (or spirit) but feels 50% smaller at least. I would not recommend the juice series, no locking blades. You do not want your finger accidently between a knife and handle. Trus me on that one  :oops:

That should make thing easier for you......or not :D

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 11:37:56 PM
I second the KF4 idea! :D Very small, very capable. :tu:

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 11:40:26 PM
I second the KF4 idea! :D Very small, very capable. :tu:

I just got a KF4 and it is fantastic. If you can live without the scissors, then this might be just the ticket for you.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 11:43:16 PM
I reckon the lightest weight but still effective MT I have used is the LM Fuse.I had a gerber 800 on my belt but the possibility of it getting snatched and the OH blade finding it's way into my rib cage put me off .I tend to keep tools in my kit bag in the car so I can get to them quickly if needed but don't have the weight on my belt

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 12:23:30 AM
The Spirit is a fantastic tool.  You really won't find anything more capable in that size IMO.

The KF4 is another great tool, but the pliers are a lot smaller.
I'm back!!

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 12:29:51 AM
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a multitool for use as a police officer.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,89.msg769.html#msg769

The weight of a MT on a duty belt ( whether you carry a weapon or not ) is not going to make any difference at all, go for a tool that can also serve as a backup weapon - either as a blade , small baton jab , come along aide or fist re-enforcement tool , the Spirit is ok for off duty carry , but on duty you need something that is really multi purpose !  You're a police officer not a maintenance man or truck driver, get the right tool for the right job, bigger MT's are better suited for your line of work, believe me I know from first hand experience.

The Ultimate Fighting Multi-Tool - A Multi-Tool and a MagLite. Good combination to have in your hands if something should happen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:22:26 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 02:02:32 AM
Once again, I'm disappointed...

No one has posted the MT.O motto.

"When in doubt, buy both!"
+1 on the MT.O motto.
But if you can only have one I go for the Wave. The wave has one handed opening blades and in time you can also open the pliers one handed balisong style. Another plus is the interchangeable bits which widens the use of the multitool.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:00:02 AM by duckman1975 »
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 03:54:48 AM
But if you can only have one I go for the Wave. The wave have one handed opening blades and in time you can also open the pliers one handed balisong style.
I'd go for the wave for the same reasons. Pretty handy features to have when you need them.
"

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 04:33:40 AM
I second the idea of going to a local store and handling all the latest (and past) offering by MT companies. This is what I did, the guy at the shop was very helpful and didn't try to sell me the most expensive MT (LM btw zzz). After playing with all of them I walked out with a Victorinox Swiss Tool a happy and changed man for life (now I collect the damn things  :twak:). I've handled the spirit once and liked it, I'm waiting for the new version with clip point blade and scissors to come out (soonz I hope).

Oh fo one hand opening I suggest a dedicated folder (fixed blade for soldiers).

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 04:41:00 AM
Spirit for the win!!! It is a tiny package to carry in a holster on your belt if you dont get the bit kit.  I'm a huge fan of both the spirit AND the wave/charge designs, but the Spirit is the hands down winner any day of the week...(except for One hand openeing and clip of course hehe)  Go with the spirit!!!

-Dough
W

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 05:39:40 AM
Since you specified you'll be carrying it on your belt--go with the Spirit.I don't know what else you're required to carry in your jurisdiction,but from my own experience,after a couple hours into a busy shift,you appreciate travelling light.Track down a KF4 to have for pocket carry if you find your belt carry is too much.
I

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 06:22:54 PM
I carry the SURGE on my duty belt.. I like it because of the robust design and the large knife blades!
B

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 06:32:22 PM
I carry the SURGE on my duty belt.. I like it because of the robust design and the large knife blades!
I agree with you 100%, surge is my work multi as well....however he is looking for small form factor for a belt carry if i'm not mistaken, and I think the tiny sheathed Spirit wins hands down in that category.  Even though the wave is only slightly larger, it carries larger in the sheath than the spirit....and the surge, well thats just a different class in size comparrisons :D

-Dough
W

Offline superdon

Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 07:30:05 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a multitool for use as a police officer.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,89.msg769.html#msg769

The weight of a MT on a duty belt ( whether you carry a weapon or not ) is not going to make any difference at all, go for a tool that can also serve as a backup weapon - either as a blade , small baton jab , come along aide or fist re-enforcement tool , the Spirit is ok for off duty carry , but on duty you need something that is really multi purpose !  You're a police officer not a maintenance man or truck driver, get the right tool for the right job, bigger MT's are better suited for your line of work, believe me I know from first hand experience.

The Ultimate Fighting Multi-Tool - A Multi-Tool and a MagLite. Good combination to have in your hands if something should happen.

In the UK I wouldnt get away with using the tool as a backup weapon :)

Having looked at all the suggestions I am still veering toward the Spirit. Looks really nice. I dont know of anywhere around here (Midlands) that might have all these in stock to look at, so I dont think its an option really to "try" them all.

I have found the Spirit for £50. Or the Sprit Plus for £65. Seem like decent prices?

Does the Plus come with a larger case? If so I will be best going for the standard spirit.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 07:40:40 PM
Yeah, I understand that! But for the extra weight, the SURGE is worth it! If you want a small form factor, than I would go for the LM Juice Kf4. Mainly because it is smaller than the Spirit.
B

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 07:47:14 PM
Yes the plus comes with a larger sheath to store the ratchet or bitwrench.  The standard version comes in a very slimline sheath.  You can go with the regular swisstool spirit, or the swisstool spirit s.  Those prices seem a little bit high, you can snag them for about $45 shipped to your door in the US, but IDK how much international shipping would cost.

-Dough
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21