Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Help me choose!
Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 08:39:19 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a multitool for use as a police officer.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,89.msg769.html#msg769

The weight of a MT on a duty belt ( whether you carry a weapon or not ) is not going to make any difference at all, go for a tool that can also serve as a backup weapon - either as a blade , small baton jab , come along aide or fist re-enforcement tool , the Spirit is ok for off duty carry , but on duty you need something that is really multi purpose !  You're a police officer not a maintenance man or truck driver, get the right tool for the right job, bigger MT's are better suited for your line of work, believe me I know from first hand experience.

The Ultimate Fighting Multi-Tool - A Multi-Tool and a MagLite. Good combination to have in your hands if something should happen.

In the UK I wouldnt get away with using the tool as a backup weapon :)

Having looked at all the suggestions I am still veering toward the Spirit. Looks really nice. I dont know of anywhere around here (Midlands) that might have all these in stock to look at, so I dont think its an option really to "try" them all.

I have found the Spirit for £50. Or the Sprit Plus for £65. Seem like decent prices?

Does the Plus come with a larger case? If so I will be best going for the standard spirit.

Glad to see another UK member on here.  :)

The best place to get a Spirit is from Tim AKA Felinevet www.felinevet.sosakonline.com.  He has the best prices and the best service going.  I have used him a few times without any customs or shipping problems (I am in the UK as well).
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: November 11, 2008, 10:04:18 PM
I'll second that, order it through Felinevet mate, and you'll save a packet :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 01:07:02 AM
Hi all,

The weight of a MT on a duty belt ( whether you carry a weapon or not ) is not going to make any difference at all, go for a tool that can also serve as a backup weapon - either as a blade , small baton jab , come along aide or fist re-enforcement tool , the Spirit is ok for off duty carry , but on duty you need something that is really multi purpose !  You're a police officer not a maintenance man or truck driver, get the right tool for the right job, bigger MT's are better suited for your line of work, believe me I know from first hand experience.

The Ultimate Fighting Multi-Tool - A Multi-Tool and a MagLite. Good combination to have in your hands if something should happen.

Having looked at all the suggestions I am still veering toward the Spirit. Looks really nice. I dont know of anywhere around here (Midlands) that might have all these in stock to look at, so I dont think its an option really to "try" them all.

I have found the Spirit for £50. Or the Sprit Plus for £65. Seem like decent prices?

Does the Plus come with a larger case? If so I will be best going for the standard spirit.

So your from the UK, I have to change my recommendation I would go for the Spirit. I heard one hand opening locking blades gets you in trouble in the UK.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 01:17:07 AM
Anything gets you into trouble over here.  ::)
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 02:41:09 AM
Hi all,

So your from the UK, I have to change my recommendation I would go for the Spirit. I heard one hand opening locking blades gets you in trouble in the UK.

One handed openning is fine here.  It's the fact that almost all OHO are locking blades that will get you in trouble (without a specific reason for having one).  That's why Spyderco designed the UKPK, a OHO slip-joint.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline superdon

Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 02:23:45 PM
Yes, as I understand it police officers are allowed to carry them (on duty) as they have a specific reason for them.

Have contacted Felinevet and it would only be about £7 cheaper ordering from him, than the cheapest supplier (£50) I have found so far. The exchange rates pretty poor at the mo.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 02:25:38 PM
Yes, as I understand it police officers are allowed to carry them (on duty) as they have a specific reason for them.

Have contacted Felinevet and it would only be about £7 cheaper ordering from him, than the cheapest supplier (£50) I have found so far. The exchange rates pretty poor at the mo.

£7 is still £7 and you will also be supporting Tim's cause and the forum by buying from him.

Shipping from him is usually about 6 days.  I've had UK stockists take longer than that.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 02:26:01 PM

Ah - but you get to help sick cats if you order from Felinevet!

EDIt - Ben beat me to it :D

I used to come here a lot.

Offline superdon

Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 06:15:45 PM

£7 is still £7 and you will also be supporting Tim's cause and the forum by buying from him.

Shipping from him is usually about 6 days.  I've had UK stockists take longer than that.

Okey dokey. I love cats, so see the point :)

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 06:18:36 PM
I actually hate cats, but hey, if somebody out there loves them enough to sell things that cheaply and still contribute it toward his cat saving fund...

:D
Got those frog legs.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 07:15:44 PM
I think it's great to see someone so committed to their cause.  Tim does nothing by halves.  His prices are great, his service is great, his stock is great and he supports the cats and the forum.  He is a top man.  :tu:
I'm back!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:59 AM
I think it's great to see someone so committed to their cause.  Tim does nothing by halves.  His prices are great, his service is great, his stock is great and he supports the cats and the forum.  He is a top man.  :tu:
+1  :salute:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%