Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Doing mods on my Chevy Avalanche this winter

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Doing mods on my Chevy Avalanche this winter
on: December 31, 2006, 01:54:02 AM
Anyone else drive an Avalanche?

Just put a Westin Bull Bar on, 4 rain / shade protectors on doors, got a custom made Chevy bowtie ( USA flag  for the front grill, made a console cover, waiting for delivery on a set of fog lamps to mount on the Bull Bar.

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Doing mods on my Chevy Avalanche this winter
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 02:00:52 AM
I've been drooling over one of those for a while, but between the price tag and the cost of gas I've just been drooling.

I followed the development of that thing from scratch and it seems to me to be as close to the perfect truck as there is out there right now.

Make sure you give us some pics!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:30:56 PM
Make sure you give us some pics!
Def
1. "Debadged" - removed ALL the Avalanche letters ( left, front, rear ).

2. Removed running boards - painted exposed frame bolts black.

3. Additional back up lights - PILOT #NV803 for $35.00

4. Added WESTIN Bull Bar - with a set of PIAA #520's

5. Added a Bus Bar and couple relays for the backup lights and an additional horn.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 05:00:20 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 11:33:06 PM
Did you remove the extra body panels?  Or did you get this one that way?

Are you planning to replace the running boards with nerf bars?  Man I love these trucks...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 11:38:41 PM
Did you remove the extra body panels?  Or did you get this one that way?

Are you planning to replace the running boards with nerf bars?  Man I love these trucks...

Def

The 2007's Avalanche's do not offer the "cladding panels" , it's all exposed metal.  2002 to 2006 had the "plastic side panels ". After I got this one I started to think I should have got a 2006, but since I've worked on it I think it looks a lot better " stripped down ". Besides the new 5.3L engine will cut back to 4 cylinders on the open road - I get 21.5 mpg around town / country roads and 25 mpg doing 60mph on the highway.

The running boards were cheap black plastic and ran the length of the cab. I watched everyone that got into the truck and they ALL stepped over the running boards as they were to narrow to get your foot on to so off they came. W/O them it's a lot easier to get in and out, up til 2006 the running boards ( actually they were Nerf bars ) were an $850 option - 2007 they come installed on every Avalanche from the factory, which by the way is located in Mexico !
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:42:52 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 11:47:07 PM
I hadn't realized that the '07's were sans cladding... inneresting!

I also haven't paid much attention to the running boards that were offered- seems kind of silly to have plastic boards on such a large truck, but then I guess when it comes down to cheaping out, few can match the domestic car manufacturers!

Gorgeous truck though.  How about some shots of the interior when you get a chance.  You doing anything special inside?

And any aftermarket mechanical goodies?  You could probably increase efficiancy by a good 10% with a good aftermarket exhause system. 

That new engine that drops half the cylinders is a great idea.  I wish I'd thought of that.  Oh wait, I did, about 15 years ago.  Good thing no one listened to me then!

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 12:31:41 AM
Didn't Caddilac have an engine 15 years ago that would drop cylinders while driving?  Or was is Ford?  I'm pretty sure one of the car manufacturers had one, I still here a lot of the guys I work with complaining about them.

Also, have you thought of improving the air intake system on that truck?  A lot of cars/trucks these days have a seriously restricted intake system.  A cold air intake could improve both horsepower and gas mileage.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 12:33:41 AM
It was about ten years ago and it was Cadillac.

Trust me, I know exactly who it was...

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 03:22:20 AM
It was about ten years ago and it was Cadillac.

Trust me, I know exactly who it was...

Def

Oooh, tell us a story Uncle Def!
 :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 03:26:56 AM
It's just another depressing tale of how yet another idea I had is making someone else multimillionaires and I still drive a laundry truck...

I don't have nearly enough beer in me to go into details, but this is one of many things that went into development without my continued assistance.

Def

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 04:13:09 AM
The cadillac used to have an engine like that but it went from 8 cyclinders to 6 cyclinders to 4 cyclinders.  Way too complicated. The new ones switch from 8 to 4 and it would seem much easier to keep the engine in balance this way.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
I needed a 12 volt power outlet at the rear of my 2007 AV. Looking at the possibilities: 1. placing the Radio Shack 270-1556 outlet required disassembly and drilling holes in the bed OR 2. buying the GM Trailer Wire Harness Adapter ( GM part # 12497781 ) - which converts  the 7 pin round trailer connector to a 12 volt power outlet at a cost of $35 OR  3. making my own with parts I already had on hand.

From my 2005 Silverado I had a 7 pin round  to 4 pin flat adapter, connectors , wire , as well as a spare 12 volt power outlet. I did have to buy a foot long section of 1"  ID heater hose for $1.49.

I used a pair of bayonet connector - the male soldered to a red wire and inserted into the "light" socket hole on the 4 pin and the female connector soldered to the  black wire for connecting on to the ground pin. The 12v power outlet had 2 male connectors on it and so females were crimped on to the other ends of the wires and plugged onto the power outlet. The power outlet was a nice snug fit in the hose and the 4 pin fit snug into the other end of the heater hose. DONE

Now when I need a 12 volt power supply I just  plug the above unit into the 7 pin trailer connector on the AV and the 12 volt device into the power outlet.
The reason it's so long you ask.... I can get to it when tailgating when the tailgate is down.

What can I say - it killed an afternoon.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:48:15 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?

us Offline inkster

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 03:02:53 AM
I did a mod on my truck last May.  :o

* truck 007 F.JPG (Filesize: 38.34 KB)

Offline space cowboy

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 06:19:31 AM
Yeowww Inky! You definately need a full size Bull Bar on that puppy!! I have a Bull Bar on my riding mower to deflect the moles & squirrels...hehheh.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 11:40:02 AM
Come on Inky, be reasonable and admit you had help with that mod!

Def

Offline space cowboy

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 07:47:13 PM
Gosh... I sure hope Inky didn't take offense to my post! Inky is a nice guy & wouldn't want him on my bad side.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 08:38:05 PM
Naaawwww...  Inky loves deflecting squirrels!

Def

us Offline inkster

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 08:42:11 PM
Gosh... I sure hope Inky didn't take offense to my post! Inky is a nice guy & wouldn't want him on my bad side.

No offense taken at all, I just forgot to check this post again.  I actually was trying to run over Grant, when he jumped out of the way I ran right into the Hockey factory.  ::)

Offline Alpha Niner Niner Smith

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 08:43:55 PM
You need to get something with better traction on ice if you want to run over a candanian
O

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 08:52:30 PM
You need to get something with better traction on ice if you want to run over a candanian

Here in Michigan, we use tire chains.   :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline space cowboy

Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 09:35:04 PM
Inky is too nice a guy to run over someone! He might break Defenders ankle again & make it better! >:D >:D

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 07:06:34 PM
Got my new chrome grill  and changed over my Daytime Running Lights from clear to amber bulbs.

Next Def is to break out the airbrush and paint that ugly gold bowtie in the middle of the grill !!!

Some suggestions: paint the bow tie the same color as the truck OR paint it chrome / silver to match the new grill?

I had ordered a U.S.A. flag but the bowties on the '07's are 3 dimensional ( not flat ) and the guy doing them can't figure out how to get the vinyl flag to lay flat on the bowtie.

TIA

Why do I carry a 45 ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 09:41:21 PM
When are you installing the mudflaps?

Def
mudflap.gif
* mudflap.gif (Filesize: 14.55 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%