Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let’s talk about sheaths...

zrxoa1 · 19 · 1401

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Let’s talk about sheaths...
on: February 25, 2018, 10:03:09 AM
Seems like we need a single thread to talk about sheaths for various SAKs. If I’m wrong, tell the mods and they can just delete this...

I’ll start with my Outrider. While I have no qualms carrying it in my pocket with a suspension clip, there may be times I’d rather it set in a sheath on my belt.

Sure, I could buy a Vic sheath designed for the Outrider, but where’s the fun in that??!!  Haha

It just so happens the Buck 110 sheath is a good fit. I have both the cheapo nylon sheath and a vintage leather Buck sheath. Fits them both just fine. Here are pics of the leather sheath, as that would be my preferred option...

So knowing this, if I were looking I’d say any sheath out there designed for Buck 110 will work. You just might need to break one in to fit as the Outrider IS a bit tighter fit than the Buck 110.

I think the Centurion will fit as well, as it is a bit thinner than the Outrider.

Hope this info is helpful!

Any other neat sheath fitting finds out there?

(Off topic in this forum, the Leatherman Mini Tool is a great fit into a Wave sheath if you leave the handles extended...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Let’s talk about sheaths...
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:56:21 PM
Like you, I've been using a Buck 110 sheath for my Outrider. Works well.

I've also found that there are a number of gear pouches or pistol magazine pouches that work well to hold a large folding knife.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 03:39:13 PM
I like slip pouches, and it's easy to find one fitting the Spartan just by looking at the stores focusing on classic knives instead of multitools.

Pic from a couple of years back: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68064.msg1333303.html#msg1333303

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:07:02 PM
I like slip pouches, and it's easy to find one fitting the Spartan just by looking at the stores focusing on classic knives instead of multitools.

Pic from a couple of years back: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68064.msg1333303.html#msg1333303
If I carry my SAK in a sheath I generally use the nylon ones that Vic. sells for about 6 bucks. The large one made for the 111mm SAKs will also hold  Glock 17 mag quite well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 05:04:31 PM
I recently found a new style of belt sheath that has allowed me to comfortably carry a larger SAK that I ever could before! My previous carry method was a suspension clip on the split ring in the front right pocket. With that method I personally didn't find anything bigger than two layers to be comfortable to carry, as the weight was somewhat loose to flop around in my pocket. I recently decided that I wanted to carry a dedicated folding knife in that spot, so I was looking for a belt carry solution for my SAK when I found the StealthGear SG-180. It is a elastic sheath that fits a three layer Pioneer X perfectly (Note: The 550 cord lanyard on my PX helps to add a bit of necessary retention inside the sheath). It can even stretch to accommodate something as large as my CT41.

This new EDC solution has been working great for me for the last few weeks!
PX_Skyline_Pants.jpg
* PX_Skyline_Pants.jpg (Filesize: 99.4 KB)
Skyline_PX_Sheath.jpg
* Skyline_PX_Sheath.jpg (Filesize: 69.78 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 05:26:00 PM
I use lots of sheaths from other things and brands for SAKs, mostly leather sheaths for the 3 big SAKs (Champion, Handyman, Swisschamp) like the brown below

or belt pouches for SAK + other stuff (lights, pens, mini MTs, etc.)

I only pocket carry SAKs in the 74/84/91mm size and 4 layers tops and even those often ride along a MT on a double pocket sheath

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:27:15 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 05:29:21 PM
Skinths!
For anything that I want in a sheath.

Apart of the LM Charge in it's own sheath.

During work I carry a Swisstool X in a plus sheath kindly donated to me by the person above! :hatsoff:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:32:00 PM
Lots of no-brand pouches here, and a few Vics
DSC09254-sakbelt-33.jpg
* DSC09254-sakbelt-33.jpg (Filesize: 262.37 KB)

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 09:29:30 PM
"Let's talk about sheaths, baby."

Sent from my Whittling Cadet using Tapatalk

ca Offline Lardlad

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 11:26:17 PM
I've been using the SOS sheath for my champ and now for the Cybertool 41 since 1988.  They do wear out, and some models of the SOS sheath had the internal pockets constructed from fake leather that inevitably becomes brittle and splits; I've learned to look for the model with the nylon pocket material.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 11:30:21 PM

That’s hilarious!!!  I had that as the original title of this thread but was afraid you folks would think I was a loon!   

:tu:

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 04:15:43 AM
Don't have a 110 sheath but I do have one for a 112 and my parachutist fits just great!
Perception is reality

br Offline MaverickMCS

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 01:07:55 PM
I used to carry 91mm Vic's on the front pocket of my pants, but I live in a very hot place and with time I found out that the sweat was evaporating from my pants and condensing on the Vic's tools. After that I went to one of those big chinese gadget sites and ordered a few different sized sheaths. One of those worked nice, and offered the protection needed (for something like a buck, wich is even better). Even with the sheath I would still carry the knife on my pocket, despite it having a belt loop.

The one on the right was carried for years, so it's a little beaten...

mk Offline Deedee

Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 03:29:50 PM
Here are mine belt sheaths for 111 Saks. First four are leather, one nylon, and last one is canvas made by me
Usually i carry my outrider in first one,(bought it for 4$, and it is excellent quality) and soldier 08 in second.
20180226_142238.jpg
* 20180226_142238.jpg (Filesize: 87.35 KB)
20180226_144142.jpg
* 20180226_144142.jpg (Filesize: 77.51 KB)

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 03:38:52 PM

That’s hilarious!!!  I had that as the original title of this thread but was afraid you folks would think I was a loon!   

You know what they say; "dirty old minds think alike!"?

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 04:19:30 PM

You know what they say; "dirty old minds think alike!"?

Haha!!!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 01:11:22 AM
I love sheaths, here’s mine, the two I changed out the stitching then also punched holes in the flap to give some more detail, I mean come on, black and red! The other ones on the other pic are all ones that I made, I mean besides the two leatherman,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 04:43:45 AM
I've also found a Buck sheath to be an excellent fit for my 111mm outrider but I mostly carry it in my pocket these days.
111mmday21b.JPG
* 111mmday21b.JPG (Filesize: 187.04 KB)
111mmday21c.JPG
* 111mmday21c.JPG (Filesize: 183.17 KB)

Offline Mattexian

Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 04:10:30 AM

If I carry my SAK in a sheath I generally use the nylon ones that Vic. sells for about 6 bucks. The large one made for the 111mm SAKs will also hold  Glock 17 mag quite well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Funny, I've used a surplus camo M9 mag pouch as a belt sheath for my OHT.  Velcro and snap on the flap, drain hole, and MOLLE strap on the back.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69