Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your favorite big Victorinox?

Offline aikon2014

Your favorite big Victorinox?
on: March 04, 2018, 08:20:24 PM
I ordered a one handed sentinel a week ago, but turned out that they were out of stock and I just cancelled in order to get another one hand version instead, maybe with a saw and a can opener. But I haven't decided yet.
Which bigger one handed knife is your favourite and why? I btw hate serrated and only look into plain edge.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Your favorite big Victorinox?
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 08:34:41 PM
I love my Trekker for the tool set it comes with.  Living out in the country, the saw and the Philips screwdriver cover most of my needs.
Barry

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 08:44:37 PM
I love the Nomad - but Victorinox, with its unfathomable logic, won't let me (or anyone else) have a One-hand, non-serrated Nomad. If you want one-hand opening, you'll get the serrated blade, unless you pay relatively big bucks for the elusive non-serrated Trekker. (Dream SAK! And probably the answer to your question!)
Another OH-NS option is the Hunter XS but with no caplifter and can opener it's a little limited on its own.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 08:48:28 PM
The Victorinox Delemont 130mm series has a few one handed none serrated options.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 08:59:46 PM
As far as the 111mm series, I like the Outrider best. Has the tools I wanted.

I also have the Centurion and like it but wanted the added scissors and longer Phillips driver that the Outrider offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 09:14:25 PM
Vic Soldier. The serrated blade is great at dealing with many of the things you come across in the modern world and the blunt tip makes it a very good rescue blade. And contrary to belief its really very easy to sharpen this blade.

The over built locking  cap lifter is the most usefull cap lifter Vic makes. I can't tell you how many times I've used it to pry and have even used it to drive pins with no fear of it closing on me.

The Scales on the Soldier are the best I've ever used on a SAK. The rubber inserts make a huge difference when it's wet or your wearing gloves.

Not to mention the other great Vic tools on this SAK. I like this SAK so much I'm getting a spare just in case something happens to this one.

20180121_115715.jpg
* 20180121_115715.jpg (Filesize: 197.6 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

Offline aikon2014

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 09:19:15 PM
I found the Ranger Grip 78 https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/Ranger-Grip-78/p/0.9663.MC
Which has a good price and I can get from UK with reasonable shipping fees. Anyone tried it? :)

mk Offline Deedee

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 09:56:20 PM
My favorites are Soldier 08 and outrider. I don't have rangergrip 78, but that is my next vic to buy.(may be rangergrip 79) Looks like a great knife for hiking.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 09:58:13 PM
Camping, Bushcraft etc: Soldier
General use: Outrider
Lighweight/complete to smaller one: Nomad

Offline aikon2014

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 10:01:43 PM
My favorites are Soldier 08 and outrider. I don't have rangergrip 78, but that is my next vic to buy.(may be rangergrip 79) Looks like a great knife for hiking.

As far as I can tell, the difference between the 78 and 79 is that one has the phillips driver and the other has the cork screw.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 10:35:32 PM
The only 111mm versions I have are the non serrated of each hand trekker and the non serrated one hand sentinel with clip.

If you want the tools, I really like the OHT and I think it makes a good bushcraft/camping/woods knife.

If you just want the blade, I think the sentinel is pretty  nice. Having been carrying it for the 111mm challenge lately, I've grown to respect it's capabilities.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 10:47:49 PM
Trekker definitely unless you are a fan of serrated blades (I'm not) then a Soldier.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Offline aikon2014

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 10:50:03 PM
I found the Ranger Grip 58 hunter for a really good price at a sale at a shop in Sweden. Looks like a ranger grip 78 but with a gutting blade (which I suppose can be used as a backup blade for feather sticks and such in an emergency if the main blade is dull and also for gutting fish when I am out fishing). I think I am going to go for it!  :) :cheers:

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 11:56:57 PM
Victorinox Picknicker 111 mm 0.8853 is my choice; I've been using it for about twenty years.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:58:00 PM by Nick4 »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 12:36:15 AM
Yep the old slidelock picknickers/Adventurers/Rucksacks etc have a couple of outstanding characteristics. They are lighter than the newer liner lockers, and easier to operate with gloves.
Sadly none are One-hand openers which is a bummer.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 01:49:38 AM
I’d recommend the OHT... I think they still have the plain edge blade version...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline aikon2014

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 11:34:36 AM
I went for the RG58 hunter, and also, I couldn't resist ordering a one hand sentinel from another shop  :D :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 12:08:48 PM
Vic Soldier. The serrated blade is great at dealing with many of the things you come across in the modern world and the blunt tip makes it a very good rescue blade. And contrary to belief its really very easy to sharpen this blade. I agree, it kills ropes and the teeth are resharpenable with most rods and tools I have. Very strong teeth too

The over built locking  cap lifter is the most usefull cap lifter Vic makes. I can't tell you how many times I've used it to pry and have even used it to drive pins with no fear of it closing on me.  one of the sturdiest prying tools, before I carried a mini prybar with me I put this tool to work so many times where I'm sure other SAK cap lifters or flatheads would've broken or sheared  :salute:

The Scales on the Soldier are the best I've ever used on a SAK. The rubber inserts make a huge difference when it's wet or your wearing gloves. again, true for me as well. The Evo Grip and the rubber Soldier are the two best SAKs in my hands, and for gloves the OHO blade + scales makes it an excellent choice

Not to mention the other great Vic tools on this SAK. I like this SAK so much I'm getting a spare just in case something happens to this one.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 12:12:23 PM
My favourite is the Locksmith - there's so much to like.  Black scales, liner lock plain edge blade (without that big OHO hump that gets in the way), and that sweet long metal file.

mk Offline Deedee

Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 10:13:07 PM
My favourite is the Locksmith - there's so much to like.  Black scales, liner lock plain edge blade (without that big OHO hump that gets in the way), and that sweet long metal file.
Totally forgot the OHO Locksmith. And i think that it is the best SAK for urban use. Too bad it does not have scissors, It would be perfect.
 :facepalm: Now i want one.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:14:14 PM by Deedee »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 11:51:51 PM
You ask about favorite "Big Victorinox", but although most replies here seem to be in the 111 mm range, you did not specify that. I am interested in obtaining a One Hand Trekker someday in the future, but for now, the "biggest" Vic I have is a Champion C +.

One hand trekker = someday. Right now it's hard to justify, since I just bought five 91mm's just last week and received a Pioneer as a gift two or three weeks ago.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 01:35:38 PM
Today it arrived, the Ranger Grip 58 hunter. AWESOME!

The fit and finish is awesome and there is no play in the blade (which I was a little worried about). Also huge fan of the vic button blade lock.

I didn't mean for it to go this far... I am supposed to be Leatherman guy, how in the holy **** did it came to be that I bought so many vics????

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:41:36 PM by aikon2014 »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 03:25:42 PM
Rule no.1 - when taking a picture of a SAK with a hunter blade, that blade MUST be deployed!

Offline aikon2014

Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 03:40:55 PM
Rule no.1 - when taking a picture of a SAK with a hunter blade, that blade MUST be deployed!

:D :D :cheers:

Offline aikon2014

Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 03:44:22 PM
I sharpened the curved blade with spyderco sharpmaker, worked excellently! And stropped it with the edge of the leather strop, also worked well! And then I cut my finger by accident, but only cut off a bit of the upper skin, no blood  :D :D :D

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 04:22:05 PM
That's better! :cheers:

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 05:16:50 PM
My custom Ranger 55 Delémont

Offline aikon2014

Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 05:36:23 PM
My custom Ranger 55 Delémont

SWEET!!  :like:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 06:27:02 PM
Wow that's a beauty!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 06:52:03 PM
You ask about favorite "Big Victorinox", but although most replies here seem to be in the 111 mm range, you did not specify that. I am interested in obtaining a One Hand Trekker someday in the future, but for now, the "biggest" Vic I have is a Champion C +.

I it a one hand Champion? That was specified ;)

I still want to try out one of the big Delémont Rangers. At the moment I only have an Outdoortool and a 2010 DAK.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%