Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a dive worthy knife and multitool

00 Offline michaeljuan

Looking for a dive worthy knife and multitool
on: March 19, 2018, 09:51:28 AM
Going to get my scuba license soon which means an excuse to get more toys. Anyone with diving experience recommend any knives or multitool?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Victorinox: Swisstool, Manager
Leatherman: Wingman
Gerber: Shard
County Comm: Pocket Widgy

and more to come

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Looking for a dive worthy knife and multitool
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:44:41 AM
I would think that perhaps just a good dive knife would be what you want :salute: A MT seems like it would have a bit to many moving parts for underwater :think: We do have a dive knife thread somewhere around here as well :cheers: It is in the edged tools sub forum it seems like :think:

Good luck with the certification and hope you find what you are looking for toolwise :tu: :like:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:47:01 AM
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:48:31 AM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:55:21 PM
Get a good rust resistant knife that suits your hand - Serrated edge is useful.  You need to decide if you need to have a pointed edge or a flat "point" that can be used for prying .

Decide on how you will carry it - in the BCD, or attached to an extremity as this will affect the size and sheath.

Anything too big looks stupid these days and anything too small may be hard to use.

Multitools are not really needed but many knives will have a few tools on them, e.g. for prying, for cutting cord...

Wash it well afterwards.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

th Offline Niro

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:11:09 PM
I have been using a Skeletool for many years. I just rinse it in fresh water and dry it when i come home. No problems with rust. The carbine hook is perfect to hook it to the BCD and the pliers can be useful. But i dont bring the bits with me, i leave them on the boat.
I posted a picture of it in some tread a while back.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:18:57 PM
You are not going to use ANY multi tools at any depth with your neoprene gloves on. I’ve been doing underwater heavy work all my life...its hard enough to hold a two-foot wrench. As for a diving knife, that is for your own safety only and get the biggest handle you can find, just so you don’t drop it. A reputable dive shop will steer you in the correct direction.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:20:12 PM by Marc_in_NS »

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:21:37 PM
I am not sure how cold the water is in Spam World, but up here your fingers will be numb before you need to figure out your ascent tables.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:39:19 PM
I'd say a Spyderco Salt, fixed if possible, like the Aqua below

folder if too big would be scary/inappropriate, and also could be used as a backup clipped to the vest, or other gear   :salute:

If you fear of losing it I've heard many good things of Mora Companion in Stainless for an affordable diving knife   :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 07:14:59 PM
Being entangled in fishing nets, old ropes etc are your worst enemy...get a serrated knife that will cut that stuff like butter.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 11:44:57 PM
Victory aka Green River do a serrated dive blade with sheath and tether, long/short, pointy/blunt.

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 05:00:33 AM
I've always been satisfied with the build quality of my Kershaw Amphibian, but after using it for a few years I'm not a big fan of the double edged blade. For my purposes, a single edge blade with a chisel tip would have been a better choice.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%